“Service experience was frustrating”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff
Ranked #10 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersBronze level
Tokyo, Japan
“Service experience was frustrating”
Reviewed 12 May 2011

I stayed here with my partner who was in Cardiff for business meetings. The location is quite convenient and is close enough to both the Cardiff Bay and the central shopping areas. Suite was serviceable although not particularly exceptional. Use of the fitness centre was a bit of a hassle as I had to register with the reception each time. The actual fitness centre itself was tiny, with only 4 cardio machines. The breakfast buffet is quite good.

My core complaint is related to the service, which I found to be inconsistent and frustrating at times.

On the morning of May 9, 2011, I went to the concierge desk to find a map before starting a day of sightseeing. There was noone at the counter so I asked the reception for a map. She was unable to locate one for me and after some searching, she gave up and simply apologized. Because it was only 7am in the morning, and the tourist office did not open its doors until 9:30am, I was left to roam the area for 2 hours without a map.

On May 11, 2011, my partner left his laundry for dry cleaning with reception at around 7:30am. We did not receive our items back the same day, so we went to the reception desk the next morning, where we were told to go back to our room and wait for a callback. We waited 15 minutes and received no callback, so we called reception again. They sent someone to our door but he appeared to have no idea what had happened, so we had to explain our situation for the third time. Once again we were told to wait for further information. With all his items in dry cleaning, my partner had to go to the day's meetings with his clothes from the previous day. Needless to say, we were quite frustrated with this experience. Not only were the laundry items not returned the same day, we had to follow up repeatedly to get answers. There was no explanation nor apology.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jace829

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (577)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 12 May 2011

I booked this hotel as a weekend getaway for myself and my boyfriend. It is in an excellent location in the city centre, you step across the road into the shops, bars and restaurants, and can easily walk to the castle or get a £5 taxi trip to the bay.
Even though it is right in the centre, it was still in a quiet location and it felt safe. The hotel itself was modern, light and vibrant, and felt comfortable. The staff were friendly and attentive, and the rooms were a great size and had great amenities.
The breakfast was excellent, and the bar was pricey but what hotel isn't?
We parked in the hotel carpark which was very "cosy" but convienient. The receptionist suggested we might find parking cheaper elsewhere which was nice, but we decided to stay as it would have been the difference of a few pounds and a bit more hassle. If you choose to park elsewhere or can't find a space there are several multi storeys nearby to choose from!
We were both very pleased with our accomodation and would recommend to anyone!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kitschcat
herefordshire
Reviewed 4 May 2011

My wife and I tried this as an alternative to our usual favourite - the Park Plaza.
We stayed in a good suite which suited our requirements, as we were travelling with our ten year old son and fifteen year old daughter.
The room was very big - plenty of space for all of us. It had two televisions - a bit pointless as we couldn't watch two different channels (try telling a teenager to "turn it down"!).
Check in was very slow as the receptionist was on their own and they kept answering the phone whilst dealing with us!
Fantastic views of the city and the bay from massive windows.
Bathroom clean and modern.
Decent coffee machine in room (capsule type).
Car park an absolute nightmare - awkward to find, awkward to get in and out of with a combination required to open the slow roller shutter door - my grey matter couldn't remember the code - had to ring all the time from my mobile whilst holding up other users - sure the receptionist got fed up with me!
I have to say that breakfast was poor really - plenty of choice but Little Chef quality.
The hotel was still undergoing building works / finishing off while we were there - no real problem such as noise - just power tools and mess between the car park and the lobby.
One thing I did note - the receipt said that they were "in administration" - not sure if this is just the Cardiff hotel, or the whole chain - haven't checked it out yet - and don't know if it's important - just odd!
Whilst we were impressed I think that we will go back to the Park Plaza next time - even though it can be noisy from the clubs opposite - overall they do everything better I'm afraid.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank kidsincars
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this review, 8 May 2011
Thank you for your review of the hotel; I am so pleased to learn that the Suite with stunning views over the city, was suitable for your needs. I note however that you stayed in December 2010, when it is true the hotel was undergoing some light refurbishment works. However, these were complete by January 2011 and we are delighted with the results.

Whilst I can appreciate that it is a little awkward on occasions, for security purposes access is by code only and ensure that only our guests have acccess to this facility.

I am sorry if you did not enjoy our extensive Super Buffet Breakfast. The choice of dishes offered is very extensive and Chef would, as always, have been happy to accommodate any individual requests.

I do hope that you will try the hotel once again; please contact me directly and I will ensure everything is to your liking.

Kind regards
Ipswich, Suffolk
Reviewed 1 May 2011

This new hotel is slap bang in the middle of Cardiff; 400 yards from the Train Station and in the middle of town. It's great quality is potentially its biggest weakness!!

Cardiff is fast becoming the Stag/Hen capital of the UK - evidenced by the sheer number out and about at 6pm on a Saturday night (admittedly a Bank Holiday Weekend). This is a fantastic hotel for Stag/Hen parties; I mean it.

If you want a romantic or quiet weekend in Cardiff, this is probably not for you!!

The hotel is excellent; exactly what you expect from a Radisson hotel with all the features maintained in this low cost version. The room was spotless and the reception and bar well maintained. The hotel is new but I do not believe these qualities will diminish.

The car park is small - expect to park in the John Lewis car park opposite. We got there at 5pm and left at 6:35am and it only cost £3. The bar is reasonably priced for a hotel. Given we left so early we did not experience breakfast and ate out in the evening.

Cardiff Bay is a 15 minute walk from the hotel but many people may not feel safe on the route there - especially in the dark!

Room Tip: Central and Well Appointed
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Jags_On_Tour
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this review, 2 May 2011
It is very pleasing to hear that you had a good impression of the hotel and enjoyed your stay in Cardiff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Warm regards
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2011

My wife and I usually stay at the Park Plaza when in Cardiff but fancied a change and was delighted with the experience we had at this Raddison Blu. We stayed for two nights(22&23), on the 21 floor! At first we weren't sure about staying so high up but on entering the room and taking in the City view, it was breathtaking. From the Cardiff City Stadium, past the Millennium Stadium, the whole of Cardiff City Centre, right round to the coast. Wow by day, wow wee by night.

Probably the best situated Hotel in Cardiff; Cardiff bay a romantic walk (or a sharp taxi) away), shopping and light life on your doorstep or within a short stroll. It was our anniversary, so we made use of each one.

We had an issue with a few party animals in the next room on the second night but staff were swift to ensure that they had their experience, whilst allowing us to have ours. (can't ask for more than that). Completely fair and full marks to the duty manager for her skills of conciliation.

Breakfast was great; if something wasn't there then they went and got it straight away.

The Park Plaza is nice but this place has it too and more. We liked it so much we have booked in again for the end of May and have booked for my outlaws to stay there for their 25th Wedding Anniversary towards the end of May too.

Room Tip: The Bus opposite gets you to the Bay for £1.50 ;)
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RylandPhillips
Delighted to read your very positive review of the hotel and to learn that you are returning at the end of the month. Please contact me directly so that I can organise a welcome surprise for your relatives when they join us for their 25th wedding anniversary celebrations!
JERUSALEM
Reviewed 20 April 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights for a family wedding. The hotel is in a great location - walking distance to the main shops and restaurants. The room we had was on the 21st - top - floor with a wonderful view. The staff were really helpful and nothing was too much trouble for them. Certainly to be recommended for anyone wanting a modern hotel in a great position .

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MINDLE22
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this review, 25 April 2011
Thank you for posting your very positive comments about the hotel on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to learn that you had such an enjoyable stay and look forwrd to welcoming you back in the future. Warm regards
Bicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2011

Staff is poorly trained and dealt with complaints by becoming unpleasant. Repeated emails to the hotel's manager did not get a response.

Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple