“Always good ........”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“Always good ........”
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Parking is easy, the car park is just before the hotel, literally next door. Pull in and park out front, run in and get the access code. Write it down then you will not need to complain about forgetting it. No wait at all on check in, room was clean, Junior suite, good value for money.
Views, stunning, staff, all helpful and well trained etc. Breakfast was fine, just that it is sometimes like a zoo at feeding time with people who really shouldn't be eating big breakfasts hogging the area and making a mess. (Not had this before so maybe rugby fans?
Everything is good about this hotel apart from my one and only annoyance.......The lift.
If you are on the 21st floor and want to take the car park lift to get to your car in the morning you can be in for a nightmare.
I waited and counted that the lift stopped 8 times on its way up to me and on the way down, after 4 stops I jumped out on the 7th floor because I had lost the will to live.
What was worse was the angry looking staff who had called the lift in order to transport the cleaning trolleys to whatever floor they needed to go to. On the 7th floor the guy actually sighed at me. So I jumped out and told him to take it as I was fed up.
This was how I was greeted on arrival when I called the car park lift from the car park.
4 angry guys with a trolley sighing at me.
Either way, this has to be better than walking across busy roads etc but please, tell the staff not to get annoyed at paying customers using lifts they are forced to use because the main lifts do not access the car park.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank warbywales
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this review, 7 June 2011
Thank you so much for your very positive review about the hotel. The lift you refer to is actually a staff service lift, hence why you find staff using it, but I can certainly appreciate why you would use it on busy days. With 21 floors it can on busy mornings take a little while for the lifts to reach the 21st floor but as everyone comments, the views are well worth the wait!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, UK
Reviewed 27 May 2011

I've had consistently great experiences with the Radisson on the few occasions I've stayed over the past few months. The price is around the same as what you would pay for the nearby Holiday Inn Express, but the standard of room is higher.

If you can afford to get a business room or suite then do so, as the views from the upper floors are stunning - you can look right across Cardiff. The rooms are very quiet and well decorated, with all the usual paraphernalia (kettle, toiletries, etc).

The breakfast was plentiful and without fault. There is a bar restaurant and a proper (very good) restaurant, so you won't starve, plus a bar. Service was great as always.

I wish I could find a fault but I can't. Maybe the bath tap pressure is a bit woeful. There we go.

Put simply, if you've got a budget of £70 to £100 then you'll struggle to find better than this place in Cardiff. If you've got slightly less to spend then the Park Inn just across the street is also very good (think Radisson Lite).

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the city
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank steve5312
Riga, Latvia
Reviewed 17 May 2011

I can reccommend the hotel to everyone who can go for junior suite and could get in on the top floor. Our suite was on the top 21st floor with floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking almost entire Cardiff. Design is quite modern, but not over the top. The room is separated into two parts by internal 'wall' which accommodates two flat screen TV and numerous drawers. My family ladies appreciated two (suppose, it's unusual) wardrobes and really big bathroom with two (again!) sinks and combined bath/shower. King size bed was very comfortable, while extended sofa provided good sleep without any complaints.
As for the rest. Location is very central: 5-7 min. walk to the railway station, 12-15 min. walk to the castle, 15-20 min. walk to the bay, shopping mall next doors. Breakfast typical for a 4* chain hotel - no essentials missing, but nothing fancy. Only two elevators, but it wouldn't be a big issue if both are in service. This was not case one morning and we were waiting the only one elevator approx 6 min. to travel from our top floor down to earth. It's added a bit stress as we had to be on time for booked Wales tour. Staff very responsive and caring, just smile on the face was missing. But probably it's already too much to ask for?

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank maksis
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this review, 21 May 2011
I am delighted you enjoyed your recently and the amazing views afforded from the suites on the higher floorso f the hotel. I believe the lifts were unfortunately undergoing their regular maintenance on the day of your visit, hence why one was out of service for a while. We would be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel on your next visit to Cardiff. Thank you for posting your comments.
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 12 May 2011

I stayed here with my partner who was in Cardiff for business meetings. The location is quite convenient and is close enough to both the Cardiff Bay and the central shopping areas. Suite was serviceable although not particularly exceptional. Use of the fitness centre was a bit of a hassle as I had to register with the reception each time. The actual fitness centre itself was tiny, with only 4 cardio machines. The breakfast buffet is quite good.

My core complaint is related to the service, which I found to be inconsistent and frustrating at times.

On the morning of May 9, 2011, I went to the concierge desk to find a map before starting a day of sightseeing. There was noone at the counter so I asked the reception for a map. She was unable to locate one for me and after some searching, she gave up and simply apologized. Because it was only 7am in the morning, and the tourist office did not open its doors until 9:30am, I was left to roam the area for 2 hours without a map.

On May 11, 2011, my partner left his laundry for dry cleaning with reception at around 7:30am. We did not receive our items back the same day, so we went to the reception desk the next morning, where we were told to go back to our room and wait for a callback. We waited 15 minutes and received no callback, so we called reception again. They sent someone to our door but he appeared to have no idea what had happened, so we had to explain our situation for the third time. Once again we were told to wait for further information. With all his items in dry cleaning, my partner had to go to the day's meetings with his clothes from the previous day. Needless to say, we were quite frustrated with this experience. Not only were the laundry items not returned the same day, we had to follow up repeatedly to get answers. There was no explanation nor apology.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jace829
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 12 May 2011

I booked this hotel as a weekend getaway for myself and my boyfriend. It is in an excellent location in the city centre, you step across the road into the shops, bars and restaurants, and can easily walk to the castle or get a £5 taxi trip to the bay.
Even though it is right in the centre, it was still in a quiet location and it felt safe. The hotel itself was modern, light and vibrant, and felt comfortable. The staff were friendly and attentive, and the rooms were a great size and had great amenities.
The breakfast was excellent, and the bar was pricey but what hotel isn't?
We parked in the hotel carpark which was very "cosy" but convienient. The receptionist suggested we might find parking cheaper elsewhere which was nice, but we decided to stay as it would have been the difference of a few pounds and a bit more hassle. If you choose to park elsewhere or can't find a space there are several multi storeys nearby to choose from!
We were both very pleased with our accomodation and would recommend to anyone!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kitschcat
herefordshire
Reviewed 4 May 2011

My wife and I tried this as an alternative to our usual favourite - the Park Plaza.
We stayed in a good suite which suited our requirements, as we were travelling with our ten year old son and fifteen year old daughter.
The room was very big - plenty of space for all of us. It had two televisions - a bit pointless as we couldn't watch two different channels (try telling a teenager to "turn it down"!).
Check in was very slow as the receptionist was on their own and they kept answering the phone whilst dealing with us!
Fantastic views of the city and the bay from massive windows.
Bathroom clean and modern.
Decent coffee machine in room (capsule type).
Car park an absolute nightmare - awkward to find, awkward to get in and out of with a combination required to open the slow roller shutter door - my grey matter couldn't remember the code - had to ring all the time from my mobile whilst holding up other users - sure the receptionist got fed up with me!
I have to say that breakfast was poor really - plenty of choice but Little Chef quality.
The hotel was still undergoing building works / finishing off while we were there - no real problem such as noise - just power tools and mess between the car park and the lobby.
One thing I did note - the receipt said that they were "in administration" - not sure if this is just the Cardiff hotel, or the whole chain - haven't checked it out yet - and don't know if it's important - just odd!
Whilst we were impressed I think that we will go back to the Park Plaza next time - even though it can be noisy from the clubs opposite - overall they do everything better I'm afraid.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank kidsincars
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this review, 8 May 2011
Thank you for your review of the hotel; I am so pleased to learn that the Suite with stunning views over the city, was suitable for your needs. I note however that you stayed in December 2010, when it is true the hotel was undergoing some light refurbishment works. However, these were complete by January 2011 and we are delighted with the results.

Whilst I can appreciate that it is a little awkward on occasions, for security purposes access is by code only and ensure that only our guests have acccess to this facility.

I am sorry if you did not enjoy our extensive Super Buffet Breakfast. The choice of dishes offered is very extensive and Chef would, as always, have been happy to accommodate any individual requests.

I do hope that you will try the hotel once again; please contact me directly and I will ensure everything is to your liking.

Kind regards
Ipswich, Suffolk
Reviewed 1 May 2011

This new hotel is slap bang in the middle of Cardiff; 400 yards from the Train Station and in the middle of town. It's great quality is potentially its biggest weakness!!

Cardiff is fast becoming the Stag/Hen capital of the UK - evidenced by the sheer number out and about at 6pm on a Saturday night (admittedly a Bank Holiday Weekend). This is a fantastic hotel for Stag/Hen parties; I mean it.

If you want a romantic or quiet weekend in Cardiff, this is probably not for you!!

The hotel is excellent; exactly what you expect from a Radisson hotel with all the features maintained in this low cost version. The room was spotless and the reception and bar well maintained. The hotel is new but I do not believe these qualities will diminish.

The car park is small - expect to park in the John Lewis car park opposite. We got there at 5pm and left at 6:35am and it only cost £3. The bar is reasonably priced for a hotel. Given we left so early we did not experience breakfast and ate out in the evening.

Cardiff Bay is a 15 minute walk from the hotel but many people may not feel safe on the route there - especially in the dark!

Room Tip: Central and Well Appointed
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Jags_On_Tour
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this review, 2 May 2011
It is very pleasing to hear that you had a good impression of the hotel and enjoyed your stay in Cardiff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Warm regards