Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff
US$113
Marriott Hotels
  • Restaurant
Future Inn Cardiff Bay(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$94
Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$85
  • Breakfast included
US$118
  • Pool
Novotel Cardiff Centre(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$100
  • Pool
Jurys Inn Cardiff(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$95
US$162
US$154
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Ibis Cardiff Gate(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$49
US$47
Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$91
US$89
Priceline
  • Room Service
2,587 results
All reviewsbusiness classjohn lewisbusiness roomcar parkfree moviescity centrejunior suitetrain stationcoffee machinestandard roommotorpoint arenafloor to ceiling windowstop floorcorner roomlovely hotelbreakfast was excellentfew minutes walk
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Easy to find, right in the city centre - we arrived by car but it's also handy for train users. Cross the road to the main shopping precinct with plentiful shopping & dining options. Friendly & efficient check-in.

The rooms are all different but the hotel will provide a fridge in your room on request. Windows don't open & the temperature control seemed rather random. No plug sockets anywhere near a mirror and the curtain doesn't actually fit all the way across the window so there's a gap at the side. Standard provision is ironing facilities, hairdryer, safe, hospitality tray, decent toiletries & good size towels in the bathroom. TV, desk & chair, separate armchair. Comfy bed but didn't like the pillows. Poor lighting in the room - lots of light sources, but all very muted, so even when they're all switched on it's still quite dark in the room.

The bathroom is well lit & has a no-mist section to the mirror, but the shower can tend to throw water all over the floor if you're not careful. Nice deep bath, but means a big step getting out again.

The restaurant serves a reasonable selection of food at breakfast & dinner, but the service is slow and the staff are not particularly attentive, especially for a hotel which classes itself so highly. The evening menu is pricey but the food, when it finally arrives, is quite good. Ate there twice. Breakfast is £15pp and buffet style - cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit, meats & cheeses, bakery selection & various cooked items to choose from. They also offer a 'grab & go' but you have to ask staff for a carry-out bag & they ran out by the second day of our stay! Room service was friendly & efficient, but menu choices are limited despite the high prices. I asked for a jug of fresh milk to be sent up to my room every day and this arrived consistently and promptly.

Rooms are serviced daily & towels are changed on request. By the way, the spa which gets a mention in the hotel lobby doesn't actually exist! Nice to see they've taken any mention off their website in the meantime. Wise to use the express check-out service judging by the queues in the lobby every morning.

Of the local restaurants, we enjoyed Ruby Tuesday, Chimichanga, Thai Edge & Wagamama but not Jamie's.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of your stay with us. I was really pleased to note the positive comments you made regarding the convenience of our location and your dining experience with us.

I was also pleased to read your feedback regarding the room itself, in particular the lighting and the bathroom comments, this really helps us to better understand how we can improve the in room guest experience.

I am sure other guests will find your comments useful and informative when choosing a hotel in Cardiff. I look forward to welcoming you on your next trip to the city.

Reviewed 1 March 2012

Went on a business trip to cardiff. Luckily, got a business class room. The room was a decent size and had a double bed. It was on 17th floor so the view was magnificent. The hotel is very close to train station and malls/High street. The only problem was that I couldn't get sleep because there was some creepy noise coming through the Bathroom wall. Whenever, someone opened a tap in the neighboring toilet, it sounded like they're in my toilet. When the neighbors closed their door it seemed like a knock on my door. At one time, I had to get out of bed and check if someone did open the door. The hotel restaurant is italian cuisine and nothing that I could understand (:)). Strangely, the room service menu was different and much easier to decipher. Only thing is that they charge for room service.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Many thanks for your recent review, I was delighted to read that you
enjoyed one of our Business Class rooms and enjoyed the spectacular
views. Glad too that you found our location close to the train station
and the shopping convenient. I was sorry to note your comments about
your disrupted sleep, this seems quite unusual and I if you can contact
me via email sally.hughes@radissonblu.com with your room number I will have
our engineering team investigate.

Glad that you found the room service menu to your liking, on your next
stay with us please ask our waiting staff for advice when ordering your
meal in our Filini restaurant.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

The hotel itself I found to be wonderful, the Reception area was large and our bedroom was, as requested on a high floor with brilliant views. The hotel is literally across the road from one of the main shopping streets, and couldn't be in a more central location.

During our stay one of the lifts was under service for a short time - up until then we encountered no problems of waiting for the lift, however when there is only 1 we did notice a bit of wait! Not a problem though, but something worth noting if you have a lot of luggage.

Regarding parking we have found a NCP car park literally 100metres down the road (turning left at the Motorpoint rather than right for the Radisson). This car park is only £5 per 24 hours, much cheaper than the Hotel car park itself or the John Lewis across the way! It is fairly easy to navigate from the Hotel in a car back around to the car park, and so if you have a lot of luggage I would suggest pulling up outside the Hotel and letting one of your party out with your luggage!

We had a standard double room, with a huge bed but oddly square, hard pillows. Luckily we were staying for 3 nights and decided to take our own pillows. We had no problems with the air con/heating or anything else in the bedroom (small safe, fridge etc) - and the bathroom was a lovely large size, with no bad smells as often found in other hotels!

The only problems (issues) we did find was that on our second day, on arriving back at the Hotel at 2pm we noticed the room hadn't been serviced as well as the day before (the day before even the toilet roll had been neatly folded into a diamond shape, and the toothbrushes placed side by side!) - the cushions from the bed were still on the floor, and the bed had only been half tucked in with the bedside cabinet still pulled out. We didn't think much of it until a chambermaid knocked on the door to ask if the room had been serviced! We said the room had been done, as we're not particularly fussy!

We did have a problem with the room after, when two new arrivals entered the room, and were probably more embarrassed than ourselves about the situation! We reported to Reception to complain that the two had a card which apparently opened every door on our floor, to be told that was impossible! However once it was established the Receptionist did issue us with a new key and also a complimentary bottle of wine for the trouble. It was dealt with very professionally, however I do wonder how this had happened and also what would have happened had we not been in the room at the time, as we did have a lot of expensive things in the room (iPad etc).

Despite the cleaning/"intruders" we will be back, we were incredibly impressed with the room and the Hotel as a whole. For those worried about noise, I heard nothing apart from the door next door opening and closing, but no voices/TV anything!

Did not have breakfast so cannot comment.

We will be back!

Room Tip: We booked through booking.com - "best price online guarantee" - and requested a high floor for the views. Were placed on the 18th floor, above which only business class and junior suites are located.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank treacle17

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your comprehensive review, I really appreciate the
many positive comments you made regarding the hotel. In particular your
comments about the quietness of your room, the views and our location in
the centre of Cardiff really stand out. Thanks for your comments about
the lifts, we have a programme of regular maintenance in place to ensure
guest safety but I’m glad that your stay was not too disrupted by this.

I was of course disappointed to note your comments regarding the
housekeeping of your room, however it is possible that you interrupted
the team during the servicing of your room? Regarding the unexpected visitors
to your room, this is most unusual and I have investigated this thoroughly and found that there was an error with the card lock software which caused this. Please accept my apology on behalf of everyone here for the shock this must have caused you.

I am really pleased that you would choose to stay with us again and I
look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Great location, sleek stylish interior, certainly worth spending that little extra for a Business Class room as these rooms are on higher floors, far from the madding crowds of the busy Cardiff streets below. Sunday breakfast was a treat, plenty of choice including made to order. Top of my list for a return trip to Cardiff.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have dual aspect views of the city including the stadium.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your lovely review, I was really pleased to read your comments about our business class rooms and also our Super Breakfast buffet, thank you for highlighting the cooked to order options too.

I'm sure other travellers will find your review very helpful when selecting a Cardiff hotel. I look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to the city.

Reviewed 23 February 2012

Look - overall this is a nice hotel - brilliantly situated in the centre of Cardiff ... it has everything you would expect a formulaic four star chain hotel to have ... however ...

There is an issue wih parking - not so much that you can't get in - it's that you have to turn in from one of the busiest streets in Cardiff and drive up their ramp BEFORE you get to the sign saying the car park is full! You then have to reverse down the ramp out into a busy street and cross two lanes (+one Bus only) lane to join the queue for the John Lewis car park ..,.however - one plus point is that I parked there from 3pm until 11am (overnight) and it only cost me £11!

The large bed was quite comfortable - but the pillows were very thin and uncomfortable.

Breakfast was good but not great ... despite the cooked food being in metal pots so hot you can burn your hands on them, the food itself was only lukewarm ... and the potatoes and black pudding had a very strange taste and texture. My wife did say that the unsliced granary bread was very nice!

And finally .... remember this is a very tall hotel (21 floors I think) ... and there are only two lifts servicing the whole building. While we were there - one of the lifts was broken ... after a long time waiting on floor 12 for a lift down - we eventually carried our luggage down all the 12 floors ... and found about 20 people crammed into the small lift lobby waiting for the lift. It's not the hotels fault if one of the lifts fails - but be warned ... a room on the 21st floor might have magnificent views ovr the city (our room looked out over the railway sidings so wasn't too good) - but if the lifts aren't working that's a lot of stairs!

We are regular visitors to Cardiff and I believe there are better quality and value hotels nearby

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Graham L

Dear Guest

Many thanks for your recent review, I was pleased to read your comments
about the hotel and our location in particular. I’m sorry that you did
not find the access to the car park easy to negotiate but I am pleased
that you found alternative parking in the nearby John Lewis car park. I
was disappointed to read your comments about breakfast, we take a lot of
pride in our Super Breakfast buffet and we regularly receive lots of
positive feedback from guests about this.

Thank you too for your feedback regarding the lifts, it is unusual for
one of our lifts not to be working as they are generally very reliable,
I do hope that you choose to stay with us again on one of your regular
trips to Cardiff and that we can provide you with an excellent guest
experience.