“great weekend”

GreenLeadersBronze level
United Kingdom
“great weekend”
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Stayed at the Radisson with 2 friends for girls weekend. Check in was very quick with friendly reception staff, gave me lots of extra milk and coffee when I said need to go to bar and get milk which was very nice of her. Had booked a junior suite which was fabulous lovely big room very modern and clean with amazing views towards cardiff and the bay on the 20th floor had 2 huge windows.
Negative point was room was set up for 2 people this was very quickly sorted by housekeeping who also gave us lots of extra toiletries and coffee for the nespresso machine ice bucket arrived very quickly as well when requested.
For a junior suite would also have expected an ipod docking station which even cheaper hotels in cardiff provide in their premier rooms, bathroom also small considering size of room but very modern.
Slept very well on what must be the most comfortable sofa bed I have ever slept on.Breakfast ok nothing special with bland tea and coffee and awful porridge made I think with water, quick efficient service. Overall a very pleasant stay room tip ask for one with views over the bay and high up.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Hello and thank you for your wonderful review, I was really pleased that you felt we were worthy of a 5/5 score. I was really pleased that you enjoyed your girls weekend with us and that we managed to resolve the room setup for you and provide the extra milk & coffee.

Really glad that you chose to try one of our junior suites and that you enjoyed the fantastic views, thank you also for your advice about an ipod docking station, this is something that we will now look into.

Sorry that you didn't enjoy our Super Breakfast buffet as much, I am sure that this was a one off and that on your next stay with us you will enjoy a really fabulous breakfast.

Sally

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bewdley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Lovely hotel and excellent value if you get the right deal. Unfortunately only used the place to recover from aftermatch drinks in Cardiff but room was fantastic.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Hello and thank you so much for your recent review, I was delighted that you scored us 5/5 and really pleased that you felt your stay offered great value for money. I look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Cardiff.

Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We stayed here this weekend for the Wales vs Italy rugby match as the Park Plaza, which we love, was fully booked when we checked (but had rooms available about 3 weeks ago?). We spent some time comparing the two hotels and overall feel that this is better.

We didn't bother trying the hotel car park but parked the cars in the station (with a telephone booking parking system which was ace), £8.70 for 24 hours - much cheaper than the NCP opposite the Park Plaza. We do think the reception/bar/sofa/open fire area of the Park Plaza is nicer though.

Lovely spacious room, amazing views from 17th floor, huge bathroom (good smellies!), and the breakfast buffet is one of the best I've ever seen - including soya milk yoghurt!!! Great bread too and tomato juice (rarely seen).

Right by John Lewis and the cafe quarter, what more can you ask for? We'll be back later in the year to see Wales play rugby again.

Room Tip: Go for the highest floor you can bear, great views over the city
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tatyans
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Hello and thank you for your wonderful review, I was genuinely delighted that you scored us 5/5 and really pleased that we compare favourably to another hotel that you love. Really pleased that you enjoyed the bathroom (and smellies) as well as the view and our Super Breakfast buffet.

I do look forward to welcoming you when you next stay with us.

Cardiff
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I have stayed here about 4, 5 times as when I go out in Cardiff I like to stay in town rather than get a taxi home and I always chose this hotel. Myself and my friend love this hotel as the staff are always really welcoming and courteous, the rooms are immaculate (never had any problems) and the beds are really comfy. The location is superb as it is right opposite John Lewis and about 2 minute walk to the night-life. Stayed here last night and again we had a fantastic stay and enjoyed the buffet breakfast this morning. We have stayed in the Junior Suite back in Dec 2011 which for a special occasion is worth the upgrade as the room is much bigger and there is a separate living room area. I will definitely be staying here again and again and again...

Room Tip: Ask for the highest floor possible as you get fantastic views across Cardiff
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Hello there and thank you so much for such a lovely review, I was delighted that you scored us 5/5 and I'm really pleased that you have chosen to stay with us time after time. Thank you so much for the lovely comments too about our staff and the cleanliness of the rooms, I'll make sure everyone hears about your feedback.

I'm so glad you enjoyed staying in one of our suites on your previous visit and that you enjoyed the extra room and facilities. I look forward to welcoming you when you next stay with us, thank you once again.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Fab hotel in great location, fantastic beds and breakfast is great. Business class rooms well worth the extra.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Hello, thank you so much for your recent review, I was delighted to read your comments about our location and beds, but especially pleased that you enjoyed our business class rooms and Super Breakfast buffet. Look forward to welcoming you when you next stay with us.

Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We recently went to see the Strictly Come Dancing Show at the Motorpoint Arena, as we live approx 15miles from Cardiff we thought we would treat ourselves and stay overnight! The Radblu is a stone's throw from the venue so very convenient! My daughter-in-law got us business class rooms and we were very pleased with the standard. A large comfy bed, a fridge, internet etc, safe, iron and board, bathrobes and slippers, all the usual bathroom amentities that one would expect. Both rooms were very clean they were on the 14th/15th floors with nice double aspect views, I was dubious about being almost on top of the railway station but we could not hear any noise whatsoever. Tea and coffee making facilities were available with biscuits, plus a nespresso machine which is a nice touch. Did not sample the evening menu as we had booked a meal at nearby Bellini's in St Davids eating quarter (we were all pleased with our food) However I have to mention the very nice breakfast that greeted us the next morning. Having stayed at the 5* St Davids Hotel and Spa 2 weeks prior to this trip they left them traling in their wake!! Unlike the above hotel we were shown immediately to our (cleared and clean) table by extremely polite staff. Plenty of choices were on offer from juices, fresh fruit, cereals, yoghurts, toast, cheeses, meats, and of course good old full english, along with endless refills of tea or coffee.
Only one negative! one lift was out of order and it took forever to get back and forth to our rooms as the dining room was on the 1st floor it seemed endless so we did walk up but on a full stomach it is not for the faint-hearted!!
I would definitely stay here again, I cannot comment on the standard room but based on our experience I would highly recommend this hotel in terms of convenience, cleanliness and service we shall look forward to another visit.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank huxtable50
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your recent stay with us. I was really pleased to read your comments about our business class room which I'm sure other potential travellers will find very helpful indeed.

And I was really bowled over with your description of your breakfast experience during your stay, I have shared this with the rest of my team as this is the kind of feedback that helps us to stay motivated and achieve our high standards day after day.

Thank you too for your feedback regarding the lifts, we have a program of regular maintenance which is necessary to ensure guest safety and this can sometimes cause delays. In most cases though these are avoided and the lifts manage to service all guests effectively.

I look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to Cardiff.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Easy to find, right in the city centre - we arrived by car but it's also handy for train users. Cross the road to the main shopping precinct with plentiful shopping & dining options. Friendly & efficient check-in.

The rooms are all different but the hotel will provide a fridge in your room on request. Windows don't open & the temperature control seemed rather random. No plug sockets anywhere near a mirror and the curtain doesn't actually fit all the way across the window so there's a gap at the side. Standard provision is ironing facilities, hairdryer, safe, hospitality tray, decent toiletries & good size towels in the bathroom. TV, desk & chair, separate armchair. Comfy bed but didn't like the pillows. Poor lighting in the room - lots of light sources, but all very muted, so even when they're all switched on it's still quite dark in the room.

The bathroom is well lit & has a no-mist section to the mirror, but the shower can tend to throw water all over the floor if you're not careful. Nice deep bath, but means a big step getting out again.

The restaurant serves a reasonable selection of food at breakfast & dinner, but the service is slow and the staff are not particularly attentive, especially for a hotel which classes itself so highly. The evening menu is pricey but the food, when it finally arrives, is quite good. Ate there twice. Breakfast is £15pp and buffet style - cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit, meats & cheeses, bakery selection & various cooked items to choose from. They also offer a 'grab & go' but you have to ask staff for a carry-out bag & they ran out by the second day of our stay! Room service was friendly & efficient, but menu choices are limited despite the high prices. I asked for a jug of fresh milk to be sent up to my room every day and this arrived consistently and promptly.

Rooms are serviced daily & towels are changed on request. By the way, the spa which gets a mention in the hotel lobby doesn't actually exist! Nice to see they've taken any mention off their website in the meantime. Wise to use the express check-out service judging by the queues in the lobby every morning.

Of the local restaurants, we enjoyed Ruby Tuesday, Chimichanga, Thai Edge & Wagamama but not Jamie's.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of your stay with us. I was really pleased to note the positive comments you made regarding the convenience of our location and your dining experience with us.

I was also pleased to read your feedback regarding the room itself, in particular the lighting and the bathroom comments, this really helps us to better understand how we can improve the in room guest experience.

I am sure other guests will find your comments useful and informative when choosing a hotel in Cardiff. I look forward to welcoming you on your next trip to the city.