“Top City Ctr Hotel in Cardiff” 5 of 5 bubbles

Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff
Ranked #8 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersBronze level
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
“Top City Ctr Hotel in Cardiff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

Stayed with friends for a mini golf break on a Friday night, great location in city ctr, was located on 14th floor with superb views of the city.
We parked in J.Lewis opposite the Hotel, cost £8 for overnight, if breakfast is not included make sure that you purchase pre-paid voucher upon check in which costs £12 rather than £14.95 if you pay at check out. The breakfast was top class and well worth the £12.
I purchased the room on a well known travel web-site as "a secret Hotel" £68 for a twin, fantastic value.
The room was excellent, as was the bar and Hotel facilities.
I would not hesitate in recommending this Hotel to TA members

Room Tip: Room 1401 was fantastic with great views
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Hello, thank you so much for your wonderful review, I was delighted that your stay with us was memorable and I'm glad you enjoyed the views and the breakfast. Thank you so much for your recommendation, I'm sure other travellers will find your comments very helpful.

I look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Cardiff.

Sally

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

This hotel gets 2 stars only due to the way we were treated upon check out by the receptionist at the front desk on the morning of 3/31/12. The hotel itself was clean, the room spacious and very comfortable. We booked through Expedia originally for 2 nights, and needed to change it to one night, well in advance of our arrival in accordance with the policy for the hotel. Expedia explained they would issue a refund after our stay, as per their policy, upon receiving validation from the hotel that we stayed there for only the one night - understandable. Well, upon checking out, we explained this to the woman at the desk, and asked her for written validation of our checkout. We only wanted proof in the event of any confusion after returning to the US. Her attitude was abominable - cold and unfriendly. She refused, telling us the policy is that, since we booked with an online agency, she could give us nothing. Finally, when we insisted, she angrily grabbed a sheet paper and scrawled, almost illegibly, "Early dep. for 1 night only" - her signature was totally illegible. The only thing I have is "cashier 56". I understand policy, though I don't think our request was unreasonable, but her rudeness really shocked us. Maybe they resent Expedia customers, but believe me, even with Expedia, this room was not inexpensive. Her words would have been much gentler had she been polite. Her stance, facial expressions and tone of voice were stone cold, and, unfortunately, this is our final impression of the hotel. The only rude person we met in the UK in 10 days of travel. I would not stay here again, all because of 1 person.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Hello, thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us, I was completely disgusted by your treatment at check out and would like to apologise unreservedly for this. I am sorry that this has been the single negative memory of your trip to the UK.

Please be reassured that this is not the usual behaviour standards of our front office team and that we will be taking appropriate action with the individual concerned.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

A couple of blocks from the central train station, close to the "historic" city center (castle, museum) and the millenium stadium. Short walk away from the bay area.
Good staff, nice bar, room/bathroom size OK, very clean. Only a little low on maintenance (lamp fixed with duck tape, for example).

All in all, highly recomended for a one or two day stay. (which is enough to see all in Cardiff).

Room Tip: north rooms must have the best view (I had west)
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Hello and thank you for your recent review, I was really pleased to read your comments about your stay with us, in particular that you found our location useful for sightseeing around the city. I was also glad that you felt the room was very clean, but disappointed to read about the temporary repair to the lamp.

I would be grateful if you could contact the hotel and advise us which room you stayed in, and we can organise a more permanent repair.

Derbyshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

This is a relatively new high rise block in central Cardiff. The public areas are spacious and attractive, but the furnishings in the room we were allocated seemed to me to look `tired’. The bathrooms are roomy with bath and shower. The breakfast offered a good selection of hot and cold food. The service at the first breakfast we had left something to be desired. Even though we were the only couple in the restaurant the used crockery was not removed from our small table. Moreover, I didn’t notice there was a hot water urn at the back of the servery and when I asked for a jug of hot water I was told to go and get it myself even though the staff had been standing chatting for some time. I brought these service deficiencies to the attention of the Duty Manager but received no apology or feedback. Although I specifically requested a quiet room at check in, I was allocated a room on the sixteenth floor which had noisy neighbours so that our first night’s sleep was significantly disturbed by inconsiderate guests in the middle of the night. Moreover, whenever the room doors are closed they make a noise which woke me up several times on both nights we stayed there. We found that in the case of our door however gently we closed it had to be pulled making a similar loud noise. For this reason alone I would not stay at this hotel again.

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

I could not fault this hotel. The rooms are spacious, clean and very modern. The windows are double glazed and although we overlooked the rail track we couldn't hear the trains going past. And the king size bed was oooooh so comfortable, I didn't want to leave it was so lovely. It had an iron in the wardrobe, a mini fridge, tea & coffee making facilities, ice bucket.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Hello, thank you so much for your lovely review, I was really delighted with your positive comments regarding your stay and of course with your 5/5 grading. I am really pleased that you enjoyed all the extra room facilities and of course the view.

I look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Cardiff

SimonOF
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

I paid for an upgrade to a junior suite when I checked in. This room was located on the 21st floor of the hotel and had panoramic views of Cardiff.

The room was spacious with a separate living area. The televisions were back to back - one in the bedrrom area and one in the living area.

The room was well furnished and well presented.

I'd go back !!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank SimonOF
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Hello and thank you so much for your recent review, I was delighted that you chose to upgrade to one of our junior suites and enjoyed all the complimentary extras and the stunning views. Thank you very much for the 5/5 rating.

I look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Cardiff

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

Only stayed the one night with my wife having attended a show at the arena. Overall this is one of the better hotels we have stayed in. Everything was as you would expect from a good class hotel. Standard rooms are generously sized with a huge and very comfortable bed. The bathroom has a full sized bath with shower over and there seemed to be an endless supply of hot water whatever time of day - quite refreshing as many hotels deliver tepid water that soon becomes very cool. LCD tv with a good selection of free to air programmes, desk with space to sit comfortably should you need to; free wireless Internet and plenty of lights and lamps including handy little reading lamps next to the bed. Restaurant served an excellent breakfast with a huge choice to cater for all tastes. Everywhere we went was spotlessly clean and the staff were friendly and helpful throughout. Throw in the generous midday checkout time and you have an excellent overnight stay. There is a gym and spa that we didn't have time to sample. Overall, an excellent experience, highly recommended

• Stayed March 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hello and thank you so much for your wonderful review, I was truly delighted with the 5/5 rating and the many positive comments about your stay. I'm sure that other travellers will find this very helpful too.

I look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to Cardiff.