“Fantastic hotel in a fantastic location”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff
Ranked #10 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Quite frankly why would you stop anywhere else? The hotel is modern, clean and very comfortable. The rooms are of an excellent standard with very comfortable beds and great views over the city - especially if you can get a room towards the top of the building. The staff are always very friendly and helpful and breakfast was fantastic.

Only real issue for me was parking. I opted to use the hotel car park and be warned it is very tight if you have a reasonable sized car.

Room Tip: Join the Club Carlson scheme if you travel a lot. Points build up quickly and can be redeemed for a...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

I’m so pleased to hear that you wouldn’t want to stay anywhere else but the Radisson Blu Cardiff. We are very proud of our hotel standards and services, not to mention the incredible Cardiff city views our hotel offers. Reading reviews like your own is wonderful – I will be sure to share it with my team.

Although a little tight, we do try to offer as much parking as possible to our customers, and you can be assured that our city parking is very safe and secure. Thank you so much for recommending our hotel to others. I hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff

Reviewed 2 July 2012

Myself and my daughter stayed at the Radisson Blu on 29th June 2012 for a University visit and I have nothing but praise for the whole experience, from check in to check out. The reception was fully manned and we checked in quickly and smoothly. The room we were given was 1711 on the 17th floor which meant that my daughter could get some brilliant photographs of the surrounding area.
The room was very clean and had everything we needed, with a bathroom that was bigger than the one we have at home! Our experience would have been better if we had more tea bags - as two tea drinkers 2 regular bags was simply not enough! The other drawback was that although the bed was oh so comfy the pillows were a little on the hard side. As we were only there for one night we didn't ask for different ones but I'm sure they would have been changed if we asked.
There is a small car park under the hotel which is very secure but at £15 a night a little steep. I did park in there so I had peace of mind but there are plenty of open air car parks nearby that cost a lot less. That aside our overall impression of the hotel is one of extreme satisfaction and well worth a visit.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

I am delighted you had such a wonderful stay with us. One of our key service standards is ensuring a quick, pleasant and helpful and check in service and I am delighted hear you received this.

If possible it would be wonderful if your daughter could share her photos with other reviewers on trip advisor? I really hope she enjoyed her university visit, picked Cardiff and that you will stay with us again while visiting her.

Your tea comment made me laugh! When visiting again please do let reception or housekeeping know and we would be delighted to offer you more tea bags!

Reviewed 1 July 2012

We stayed at the Radisson Blu in Catdiff for 2 nights booked via a last minute web site it was a mystery hotel so the price was good at £143 for the deal we did purchase breakfast vouchers for £10 per head adding £40 more to the bill also parking was £15 per night adding another £30 bringing the total to £213 still happy with that as parking was very secure being under the hotel with electronic coded gates
Room was a very good size bigger than average and available when we arrived at 12 midday
Bathroom very smart excellent quality fittings and spotless
Huge John Lewis over the road and great shopping areas and plenty of places to eat would recommend Jamie's Italian great food fab atmosphere
All considered great hotel fab location

• Stayed: June 2012
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

We do have a superb location being right in Cardiff city Centre- we’re glad you made the most of our fantastic destination; it sounds like you did a lot during your stay. The Radisson Blu Cardiff is ideal for shop-a-holics and those who enjoy good food.

We also have lots of visitor attractions nearby such as ‘The Cardiff Story’, ‘Capsule Artt Gallery’, ‘St David’s Hall’, ‘Techniquest’ and ‘Cardiff Castle’. We hope you will join us again in the near future.

Reviewed 1 July 2012

The Radisson Blu is a regular 4-5 star hotel but it is ideally situated in Cardiff city centre near to the central train station. The location makes it suitable for business trips and conferences. The Cardiff Bay is also not far from the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

Hi Jacob,

Thank you for taking the time to give some feedback.

I’m really pleased that everything at our hotel was to your satisfaction and that you particularly enjoyed our location close to the bay.

I look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Cardiff.

Reviewed 29 June 2012

We went on a business trip to a conference hosted by the Radisson, stayed there for five nights. Location is very central, five minute walk from Cardiff Central train station. Check-in was smooth. The room was located on the 16th floor, and was absolutely fabulous. Brand new bathroom with a big tub, colorful design of the room, tea, coffee and hot chocolate facilities, free wi-fi, big tv, comfortable bed (those sheets! three pillows!). The breakfast buffet was enormous, with 8 kinds of fresh fruit, all kinds of nuts and dried fruit, English breakfast, continental breakfast, all kinds of juices, .. I miss it already. If I have to think of a negative issue, it would be the elevators: 2 is fairly limited for such a big hotel so it often took a long time to get up/down. There is a 'gym', for free, but is limited as well: four machines: one treadmill, a bike, a rowing machine and a step. On the other hand, there was never anyone there, so it does not matter.

If I would go back to Cardiff (the city was a bit of a disappointment, I must say), I would absolutely stay here again.

With regard to their hosting of the conference : very good, with attention to detail. Big lunch buffet for the participants, tea, coffee and cookies at every break, nice rooms.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

Hi Shari,

I’m sorry you are missing us already, but thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

I’m so pleased that you were delighted with your room, conference facilities and of course the great food. I appreciate your comments regarding the number of lifts, however we do try and manage check ins so that this doesn’t become a problem. I do hope that when you come back we can have our concierge spend a little time introducing you to some real gems in Cardiff, and hopefully you’ll change your mind.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 June 2012

We stayed here on the 15th June - Because of my Gold status with Club Carlson we were upgraded to a Business Class room on the 16th floor with magnificent views across the city. The room was well equipped with robes, slippers, nespresso machine and, of course, regular tea and coffee facilities. We were also given a voucher for a complimentary drink at the bar. Another little addition included in the room was the in house movies - nice little touch! The room itself was spacious, clean and airy. We have no complaints. Breakfast was fine - a good selection on offer and really good service. Staff were helpful and polite (I know thats what we should expect, but it doesn't always happen!) - Its in a great location, just a few minutes walk from the main train station and opposite the St. David's 2 Shopping Centre! Perfect! Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Hello,

Thank you for taking time out to tell us about your recent stay.

It’s really great to read that you enjoyed all the benefits of being a Gold member with Club Carlson. There are a lot of valuable additions and not only in your room, however I’m glad you had the time to enjoy our in house movies.

I look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Cardiff and hope once again that you have the opportunity to enjoy all of your club benefits.

Reviewed 27 June 2012

Stayed at this hotel for our anniversary weekend (2 nights). We paid premium to stay in a junior suite and it was worth it. The room was fantastic on the 19th floor. Stunning views across Cardiff. Very large spacious room with plenty of cupboard space. A separate living area with plasma TV in addition to the plasma TV in the bedroom area. The room was nice and clean though a hairpin from the previous occupier hadn't been spotted on the carpet by the cleaners! Lovely fluffy robes and slippers were provided and used! The shower was fab. Espresso coffee machine provided along with the usual tea and coffee tray. The bed was very comfy but the pillows were a little too deep and stiff for myself, my husband didn't have a problem with them though. The staff were very polite and helpful on reception and in the bar etc. We parked our car okay, there were plenty of spaces given it was a Friday night and given other reviews I've read about parking at this hotel. It is a very compact car park though. The only negative I have about the whole stay is the restarurant. The buffet breakfast is fantastic, an extensive array of food, everything you could think of for a full English or Continental breakfast (I had both both days!!). However, the restaurant is an Italian in the evenings. We ate in the restaurant on our first night as my husband had been up since the early hours at work and then we'd travelled to Cardiff in the afternoon and so were tired. There is very little choice of meals on the menu, certainly not a typical menu compared to plenty of other Italian restaurants I have dined in. And the cost of the dishes is astronomical! Especially considering the small portion sizes. There is a vast array of restaurants 5 minutes from the hotel and had we known how close they were, we really wouldn't have dined in the hotel. We only had one course each and a bottle of wine and it cost over £60 and we were still very hungry afterwards but refused to pay the astronomical prices for any starters/deserts etc. Considering that it was a Friday night and there was only one other set of diners at the same time as us (9pm) says a lot!!!

Room Tip: Go for a junior suite - fantastic. Also, do not dine in the restaurant, walk 5 minutes out the hote...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. I was delighted to read that you felt the upgrade to a junior suite was worth it, especially when you are celebrating an occasion like an anniversary. I love our robes and slippers as well. Did you know you can buy them when you are here? Just ask at reception.

I was disappointed however to read that you felt the menu wasn’t extensive and our prices were high, and I’ll make sure your comments are taken on board.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future, perhaps even before your next anniversary.