“A Room with a View!”

Ranked #8 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersBronze level
“A Room with a View!”
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

This is a very modern city centre hotel, conveniently close to the railway station and within walking distance of Cardiff Bay. The welcome was friendly and the staff were both cheerful and attentive.
We booked a business class room, but on arrival upgraded to a junior suite. This proved to be worthwhile, as we were on the 20th floor and the view over the city, through the full height windows was impressive.
The bar area on the mezzanine floor is comfortable and attractive. Although we did not use the hotel restaurant in the evening, the breakfast was excellent: the business class area also has a Specials Menu and champagne.
The junior suit is a large comfortable room with separate seating and sleeping areas. We had a slight problem with the TV not working, but as there was one in each area we did not complain!
Our only real criticism was, that with this standard of room, we would have expected to have been provided with bottled water.
My wife found the pillows hard, but she is aware that she is a bit fussy!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter H
alan m, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Dear Peter H,

I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the added perks of upgrading to a Junior Suite were appreciated. Our Business Class lounges are pretty new so I'm glad you highlighted the specials and Champagne which are now available; we also have all the right ingredients for a cracking Bloody Mary, just incase you missed them this time.

Sorry to hear that your wife didn't like our pillows, we do use feather pillows in all of our rooms but i appreciate that pillow style is a very personal thing!

We hope to see you back with us again the next time you visit.

Kind regards,
Jens

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Benbecula Island, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

My friend and I booked a room here so that we could attend our staff Christmas party and then go Christmas shopping the next day. I booked a business room and we were not disappointed. The view was fab as we were on the 14th floor and had a lovely view of Cardiff. The room was clean comfortable and had all the amenities one requires. We went to the business bar for complementary drinks and canapés in the evening and David from Latvia was truly amazing. He was kind courteous and attentive. The wine was good and the salmon canapé delicious. Thank you David. The next morning we had breakfast in the cordoned off are for business guests and again it was fab. The staff were very attentive, and the little touches were worth it. I had an omelet which I ordered and that was hot and tasty. The extra touch of sparkling wine and a bowl of pastries on the table were an added bonus. For value for money I would certainly recommend it. It was a lot cheaper than other hotels in the area that offer this service and it was just as good or even better. The position of the hotel is also good just opposite St David's two and John Lewis. We parked in one of the hotels recommendations which was an NCP car park a few minutes walk away. It cost £6 for 24 hours- a bargain. I will certainly return to this hotel. It is now on the top of my favourite hotels in Cardiff having spent previous nights in the Hilton, Park plaza, holiday inn, holland house etc the list goes on.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank CHrisCooper
Jens H, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Thank you for such an amazing review after your recent stay with us following your Christmas party. You have mentioned a variety of great aspects we offer here at Radisson Blu and it is so lovely to hear that it has been so well received. Our Business Class lounge and breakfast area was only launched this October but we have had so much great feedback from guests already. Your kind words will be passed back to David, much appreciated. Our prices are not extortionate and simply reflects the great service and offering we have available to our guests.

It is superb to hear that we are on your top list for Cardiff and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

The staff here are amazing - I was met with genuine smiles by every single person on the front desk, from check in, to making enquiries, to asking for toiletries, to requesting for late checkout, to finally (regretfully) checking out - everybody could not be more helpful and went out of their way to resolve any problems or grant requests. The difference that makes to the stay is quite immense.

The room itself is average, the bathroom was nice and the towels were huge and fluffy. Pillows were the type that appeared "fluffy" at first but sadly, sink down to nothing as soon as you put your head on - by the morning when I woke my pillow had disappeared, flattened into the bed! The two spare pillows in the wardrobe are the same - which I thought was strange as normally you would expect them to be different (eg. maybe a bit firmer for guests who prefer that) which is why guests will go pillow hunting in the first place. Weird - why provide extra pillows which are exactly the same, and also hide them?

Either way it was a good value stay for 60 per night, although I understand this goes up considerably when there's a game on! Very close to Cardiff Central train station - about a 5-8 minute walk.

Room Tip: Higher floors gives you views - the building is about 19 floors high
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ach0087
Thank you for a great review. It is fantastic to hear that you found our team very helpful and genuine during your stay with us. There is nothing better and more welcoming than a service with a smile which I am sure you would agree. Our bedrooms are equipped with lovely amenities as you mentioned but thank you for your comments in regards to the pillows as this can be something we do for the extra pillows.

Our prices are very reasonable for a four star luxury hotel in the city centre with great motorway links and public transport nearby. We have 21 floors of bedrooms, please do request higher floors for the best views across the city.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

I have stayed a number of times and RB hotels and found them acceptable. The Cardiff hotel lacked management. We had a business class room that offered no real extras. I thought we had breakfast included but I was told on check in that we did not. However, when we checked out the bill clearly stated Bed & Breakfast. We ordered room service and the food arrived cold and had to be send back. Would I stay again no!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am surprised by your comments in regards to our Business class bedrooms not offering any real extras. These bedrooms benefit from being located on higher floors with great views across the city along with luxury bathrobe/slippers, Nespresso coffee machine and much more. Our Business Class bedrooms do normally automatically include breakfast so I will be addressing this with our team as there may have been miscommunication in this instance. I am also sad to hear your commens in regards to our room service and this will also be addressed with my team.

I sincerely hope that this will not deter you from staying with us again in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We Stayed here at the weekend and received amazing service from the moment we stepped through the door to the moment we left! Nothing was a problem we had requested an early check in and when we arrived at 10.30 am our 2 rooms were available. Location was perfect as we were over for a family celebration. Buffet Breakfast was excellent and great that they served it until 12 !

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for a fantastic five star review! It is so lovely to hear when guests thoroughly enjoy their stay with us. Early check in can be available so please be sure to ask on your day of arrival. We are not able to confirm any earlier than this due to the guests who stay the night prior but we will always do our best for you.Our great location in the city makes us perfect for all to venture around Cardiff so it's great to hear we were a good meeting point for your famiy celebrations.

I do sincerely hope you had a fantastic time with us and I look forward to welcoming you all back again soon.

Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I stayed here previously with my friend and experienced a 45 min wait to check in with only a few people in a queue so was very unsure on how it would fair this time...

I stayed with my brother who has a prosthetic leg and had blisters from the leg rubbing which were very painful. The man on reception (can't remember his name) was absolutely wonderful, we were able to check in a little early and had a side facing high floor room. Staff were very accommodating for my brother from reception to the restaurant at breakfast making sure that his needs were met, which made for a great stay.

Food at breakfast was plentiful, both continental and full english with lots of choices of juices and bottled water too.

We will definitely stay again when visiting the area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for such an amazing five star review! It is fantastic to hear that you chose to stay with us again after a slightly negative first time experience. Our team all operate with our 'Yes I Can' attitude and nothing is ever too much for our staff members in assisting our guests. It is great to hear you mentioned our lovely breakfast. We are really proud of our wide selection in our super buffet breakfast as it's one of the best in the city!

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Double room is very small but clean and neat. The WIFI is a disapointment because there is a limitation on megabyte usage, so if you are using skype with 2 persons doing different things then it shuts down in the middle of a conversation. However, you can get it renewed by getting a new code from the lobby. Nowadays, WIFI should be a given in any European hotel.

On a plus side, you wouldn't need the WIFI because outside is so near to most of Cardiff. And, the bed and pillows are comfortable.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. Our bedrooms do vary in size slightly dependent on which side of the hotel you are located. If you have particular preferences, please do let us know at the time of booking. I am quite shocked to hear this as our bedrooms are one of the largest in the city. I was also surprised to hear your comments in regards to our complimentary Wi-Fi connection as we have up to 100MB available throughout all areas of the hotel. I will address this with our team as there may be certain areas which we can improve our connectivity. Thank you for the lovely mention of our location and beds/pillows. It is great to hear that you had a comfortable stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.