“Good but nothing extraordinary”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff
Ranked #10 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel for two nights around New Year's. The check in went smoothly, the room was clean and bright, with many extras, like coffee, tea, kettle, iron, two safes, hairdryer, options for breakfast in bed. Overall it was a good experience and we will probably go for Radisson in other cities in the future, but perhaps Business class next time. The location of the hotel is very convenient, in the middle of the city, close to a train station and since it's one of the tallest buildings, it's easy to spot.
The staff members were nice and helpful although I didn't really talk to them. Parking was available but we thought it was a bit overpriced at £15, so we found another private car park for less, which was also convenient.
We were thinking about the breakfast in bed option but after reading the reviews here, mentioning cold food, we went out to the city center to find some fresh food, I would definitely recommend Barker Coffee.
The room was nice, I particularly liked the windows. We were on the 17th floor and had a nice view. The light switches were a bit confusing at first :) Neither of us could sleep well on the bed, I actually woke up with an achy neck and back in the mornings. However, the modern bathroom made it better, had a nice shower and made a delicious, hot tea/coffee. The towels were very big and fluffy. The bathroom floor got all wet and slippery though!! Which, let's face it, is a hazard. I put a towel on the floor to make it safer. I also liked the heated mirrors, did not steam up, which was a plus.
There were only two plugs in the room and I could not charge my phone near me at night, I had to leave it on the desk. When I blow-dried my hair, I couldn't find a place where I could be close enough to a mirror to see what I was doing, which was also a problem.
The elevator made me sick to my stomach and dizzy every time we used it. We tried the stairs once, but that took too long. I also liked that there were mirrors everywhere.
On our last morning the cleaning team was knocking on our door, because they apparently did not know that we were there. Slight miscommunication there between staff members. Could improve on that.

Room Tip: Try Business class. Apparently breakfast and complimentary drinks are in the price, might be worth i...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Jens H, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Our bedrooms are equipped with lovely amenities as you mentioned, we also provide non-slip floor mat for all our guests.
It is great to hear that you enjoyed our great location in the city, modern bathroom,helpful staff.

We are sorry to hear you did not have a good night’s sleep. We know a good night’s rest is very important. We hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Jens

Write a ReviewReviews (2,482)

Reviewed 2 January 2014

The Hotel itself is very nice; we had a lovely business class room on high floor with excellent views over the city. clean and very spacious room and bathroom. I must say the reception and front office lack of customer service; rude and unfriendly.Lovely service at breakfast which was good and lots of variety.

Room Tip: High floor and business class
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

It is great to hear that you enjoyed our business class room with fantastic views over the city.

We apologize for the disappointing service you received from the staff. We want to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive the best service.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Stayed at the Radisson for 1 night for a night out in Cardiff .We booked business class rooms and we were informed on checking in about the free drinks and snacks but we had booked a table at Jamie Olivers so we did not have the time to sample this. The rooms were excellent with great views over the city.A couple of things at breakfast need to be addressed, I do not think we were seated in the correct area for business class guests no information regarding omletes or drinks, no fried eggs out my wife had just about finished when they arrived , three soya yoghurts out of date gave up waiting for the black pudding and perhaps a smile and a good morning would not go a miss from the staff

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

We are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with our super buffet breakfast. Our goal is to ensure fresh food is provided and that each item is available for all of our guests. Your review gives us the opportunity to correct any deficiencies we may have in our service.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Close to the main train station and St David's shopping centre; the bay is a 20 minute walk away and the Millennium stadium and castle are also close by. The hotel is 21 floors high and the lifts were never a problem. The reception area is stylish and the room was plenty big enough with a big comfortable bed, flat screen TV, nice bathroom and fre wi-fi. I thought that the gilt finished tables seemed a little incongrous with the modern furniture in the bedroom. I enjoyed a leisurely buffet breakfast but didn't use the bar or restaurant during my short stay. Altogether excellent and would book again.

Room Tip: ask for a high level room to get a view
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Jens H, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit in Cardiff. We look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We normally stay at the Mecure Holland House Hotel as it has a swimming pool etc, but decided to give the Radisson a try as we were meeting-up with family for 1 night & so didn't need the extra facilities.
We arrived at the hotel on a very busy, post Christmas sale day & as we came closer to the hotel all of the public car-parks were full. Thankfully we were able to easily park in the hotel's car park, which I thought was reasonable at £15 for overnight parking.
The gentleman who checked us in (Diego) was very friendly & efficient. Even though we were at the hotel early, our room was available straight away.
The room itself was bright, modern & spacious (it had a 6ft Superking bed & even with the travel cot there was loads of room). The bed & pillows were lovely & comfy too.
The bathroom was gorgeous, with a bath (overhead shower) & was extremly clean & well maintained - still loooked new! Even though we were overlooking the train track it was still very quiet & we couldn't hear any traffic noise (maybe helped as we were on a higher floor).
The breakfast was fantastic - lots of choice, very fresh & yummy!
The bar area upstairs was nice & relaxed - we spent time catching-up with family as we had a drink or 2, relaxing on the comfy sofas! There was a lovely, cheerful lady who served us but I can't remember her name!
The location is fantastic - John Lewis & the St Davids's shopping centre is literally on your doorstep (that's a plus point over the Holland House!).
We would most definitely stay here again - the only way this hotel could be absolutely perfect is if it had a swimming pool!
Thank you for a lovely stay Radisson Blu:).

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your great review and special mention to our receptionist Diego. Our hotel team demonstrated our 'Yes I Can' attitude in meeting your expectations upon arrival and throughout your stay.
Thank you for mentioning our Bar and super buffet breakfast. They are always highly rated so it is great to hear that you feel the same.

I do hope you will come again to stay with us on your next trip to Cardiff.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

Cardiff is a busy city on a Friday night especially before Christmas. So very surprised at low cost and more than happy with excellent breakfast. Room on 7th floor quiet and bed very comfortable. Enjoyed the stay.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Having asked to change hotels, my employer has started putting me up here and it's a vast improvement. Very good noise reduction (it is a city centre hotel next to a train line) lovely room and helpful staff.

Just two negatives, the parking is expensive and not guaranteed a space. The TV didn't work in the room (I was offered a move).

Beyond that, really nice stay - will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have great views and less noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
alan m, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2013

Great to hear that you have enjoyed staying at our hotel, hopefully we can continue being 'spot on'.

Sorry to hear that you had some troubles with your television, but I'm obviously delighted to read that we managed to get you sorted out in the end. Point taken on the parking, we are limited with spaces but I do think we are pretty comparible, price wise, with many other local car parks.

Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Cheers,