“Perfect for a business trip or short trip away..”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff
Ranked #11 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I stayed here for two nights recently through work.
Happy friendly staff and extremely polite. Rooms clean and tidy.
The food is plentiful (I can only comment on breakfast) and hot & tasty.
The location is perfect - easy walking distance into the main city and good bus and train links. More importantly the hotel has its own underground car park - essential as there is no real off street parking nearby.
I recommend this hotel if staying in Cardiff.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Jens H, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. It is great to hear that you had a lovely stay with us. Our location is perfect to venture into the city for shopping, to visit tourist attractions and to reach local business parks. It is fantastic to hear you mention our happy friendly staff and convenience of our hotel car park we offer. We pride ourselves in offering 100% guest satisfaction and we truly show this in our super buffet breakfast selection and spacious bedrooms which I am glad to see that you agree with.

Jens

Write a ReviewReviews (2,504)

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Free wifi - at long last this is becoming standard. An excellent warm welcome despite me looking like a bog monster, covered in mud. Other guests all suited and booted but I had been mountain biking. The welcome was still warm and professional. All the facilities one need and a good central location. Parking was good and convenient, but if your have a vehicle approaching 6ft tall then be careful. I think the garage might be slightly lower in places. I have a VW Transporter and it a bit tight at times. Could do with more bathroom products - but then most guests won't be as muddy as I was! <LOL>

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. It is great to hear that you had a lovely stay with us. Our location is perfect to venture into the city for shopping or to visit local tourist attractions. It is fantastic to hear you mention our warm welcome from the team and great facilities we offer. We pride ourselves in offering 100% guest satisfaction. Let's hope we stock up on amenities before your next visit!

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next time to Cardiff.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Well, the bed was comfortable and the place was clean, but the feeling of satisfaction that peaks when you first see the room was eroded over the weekend by a couple of things.

Firstly, I tried to order a coke to my room on Friday evening. I was told that would be fine, but that there is a £3.75 "tray charge" - more than the price of the drink. So, £6+ to get a beverage to the room? "I'll pass", I said. I'm already paying for the room and the drink, the tray charge is just brazen profiteering. Almost surprised they didn't charge me for the call.

Secondly, our room on the 15th floor was very noisy. It sounded like a mixture of cables thrashing around or furniture being moved around in the ceiling above the room all night. When asked about my stay on checkout, I was honest about the noise and was told that it was the wind and beyond their control. I thought of saying, "Are you seriously suggesting I don't know what the wind sounds like?" but couldn't be bothered to argue. If THOSE noises were caused by the wind, then The Radisson Blu Cardiff is structurally unsound and a danger to all guests and passersby.

I've stayed here before, in a suite, and had no complaints. However, this visit was less than enjoyable and it seems the staff were just following a questionable company line on a couple of things instead of making me feel valued. Unlikely to stay here again without another decent offer.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your comfortable bedroom during your stay with us. Our tray charge does apply to all room service so we do advise guests to pre-order any drinks to be placed in their in-room fridge for arrival at no extra charge or alternatively to experience our Filini Bar which is open from 11am every day.

I am surprised to hear your comments in regards to noise in our bedrooms as all windows are triple glazed. As there are very few rooms on each floor, all bedrooms are very quiet offering guests a good night's sleep. Our One Touch Service is available 24/7 and we would have been more than happy to reallocate a different room if you experienced any noise disruption during your stay(subject to availability). I can assure you that our building is structurally sound and safe for all guests.

I do hope you will reconsider and stay with us on your next visit to Cardiff.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Booked two Business Class rooms for NYE for myself, my partner and his parents. The rooms were booked in plenty of time (a month and a half) and was booked directly over the telephone. Our booking confirmation was two days late (we had to ring up and remind them) and when we enquired about car-parking we were informed that it's the usual "first-come-first-serve" basis which we were fine about. We rang again the night before arriving to confirm our arrival time and we were then told that if we rang once we were outside the hotel, he (the gentleman on the phone) would his own car so that we could take his - this was a lovely gesture which we really appreciated. Upon arriving at the hotel and relaying the information, we were told that there were no spaces available and that the staff in question had already given away his parking space and we were told to park elsewhere. The Manager eventually came out and said very grudgingly that there was a space available so we managed to park into a very small and tight car park. Check-in was fine - the receptionist was nice and polite. The rooms were not!! We had specifically booked Business Class rooms as they boasted a great view - we had a small corner window with a poor excuse for a view! It turned out that my partner's parent's room was even worse - their window was even smaller and they had twin beds as opposed to the double we reserved. Their room itself was very small and cramped - there was no room to move once you opened the wardrobe door as you were trapped between the bed and the wardrobe! It was not worth the price that we had to pay for a Business Class room! We rang reception to complain and mentioned that we had specifically booked two double beds and rooms with a view overlooking the city. We were informed by reception that there was a wedding that same night and that they couldn't move us and were adamant that we had booked a double and twin room. Clearly our booking started off as two doubles but they preferred to favour other guests and didn't think twice about re-shuffling guests and rooms around before they arrived! In the end, someone had to come up and zip the two beds together to make into a double.

The dinner made up for the disappointment of the rooms - they had plenty of choices and were nicely presented. Breakfast was even better with plenty of choices - made to order eggs Florentine, porridge, omelette etc. There were plenty of juices and our waiters were very attentive.

We've stayed in the Radisson Blu before but never in Cardiff and it is safe to say that we won't be returning to this particular one which is a shame as we have always enjoyed our stays with them!

Room Tip: Keep ringing up to make sure that they have the rooms you've reserved! Additionally, as a note...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. It is great to hear that you stayed with us over New Year's Eve. We are located close to many nearby car parks such as John Lewis, St Davids II and NCP Pellet St which offer plenty of spaces within walking distance to the hotel. Thank you for your opinion in regards to our bedrooms, this is greatly appreciated and will be addressed accordingly to see how we can improve our Business Class rooms. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your NYE dinner and our super buffet breakfast with us. Your kind comments about our staff will be passed back to our team.

I sincerely hope that you will reconsider and stay with us again.

Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

This is well located for both rugby fans and shoppers. It is across the road from John Lewis and the main shopping centre. The stadium clubs and pubs are all near by and there is plenty to do and eat within short distance. Rooms are what you expect and breakfast is good. My one niggle is there are only 2 lifts and as such you are often left waiting for some time for the lift. Overall a good hotel in a great location.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. It is great to hear that you had a lovely stay with us in connection with rugby. Our location is perfect to venture into the city for shopping and attend a game at the Stadium which is only 7 mins walk away. It is fantastic to hear you mention our super buffet breakfast - ne of the best in the city! We pride ourselves in offering 100% guest satisfaction.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your nex visit to Cardiff.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Traveling with family members, we had two suites - both rooms were great. The bathrooms are lovely and having the suites gives lots of room. Wifi works fine and no problems connecting. We used room service for drinks which I felt was very reasonably priced. Breakfast was excellent and so much choice - you could spend hours there grazing on all the variety! All very happy with our stay and will be returning soon!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. It is great to hear that you had a lovely stay with us in our junior suites, perfect for families with our sofabeds. It is fantastic to hear you mention our super buffet breakfast - one of the best in the city! We pride ourselves in offering 100% guest satisfaction and it certainly sounds like you received this during your stay with us.

Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Having stayed in the Radisson Blu hotel this was an obvious choice for stay in Cardiff. As expected the room was excellent, spacious, clean and tidy, bed was cosy and made use of the free wifi. Staff were very welcoming and helpful. Would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for somewhere to stay.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. It is great to hear that you had a lovely stay with us. Our location is perfect to venture into the city for shopping or to visit local tourist attractions. It is fantastic to hear you mention our great staff and your comments will be passed to our team. We pride ourselves in offering 100% guest satisfaction.