“Very Good”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff
Ranked #11 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed here on Saturday 19th July for 1 night. We had a room on the 18th floor with a view of the apartments opposite and some of the docks area. Room was clean and spacious. Air con unit was a little noisy but soon got use to this and you could always switch it off. Bar was expensive but then 4* hotel bars usually are. DId not use the gym, pool etc but would recommend staying here. Will stay again.

Room Tip: A high floor for the view
1  Thank scan099
alan m, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thanks for leaving such a positive review.

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights as a base in the centre of Cardiff. It is very conveniently located near the station and the main shopping area. We found the staff very helpful and the room was great - big with a huge comfortable bed, and a bathroom bigger than bedrooms in some other hotels! We didn't have breakfast at the hotel so can't comment on that but overall would strongly recommend.

Stayed: July 2014

Glad you enjoyed your stay. Come back soon.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Two minutes from the city centre with all the shops, cafes and facilities of a Capital City (We could almost lean out of our window and touch the John Lewis department Store!). 5 minutes walk from the station and a really well presented, comfortable, classy hotel at a great weekend price. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review. We look forward to seeing you back at the hotel

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Was really looking forward to my stay here for the weekend but there were a couple of things about the hotel that were a little disappointing.

On the positive the hotel location is fantastic, right across from John Lewis, a large shopping centre and plenty of restaurants and bars and maybe a 15-20 minute walk to Cardiff Bay. Unfortunately the car park was full when we arrived but we parked at an NCP 5 minutes walk away and was £6.10 for 24 hours which was ideal.

Breakfast was lovely as was the bar area.

The not so good really was the room itself....as soon as I walked in I was immediately disappointed, it was very basic, very dusty, felt more like a travel lodge. It was not particularly modern, no bottled water provided, no plug sockets near the bed, furniture looked lost in the room. Air con took a couple of hours to take effect and as there are no windows which you can open the room was just very stuffy. We stayed 2 nights, after being out all day Saturday we returned late afternoon to find the room hadn't been made up so we rang down to the reception for fresh towels so we could get ready for the evening but again that was a little disappointing. We had friends in the hotel who paid the same rate but seemed to have far better rooms so I think we could have just been unlucky. Had we been staying longer I would have requested a room change.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

I am sorry to hear that your experience was just OK, I think we are big enough to admit when we get things wrong and honest enough to accept that we are less than perfect. We are in the process of upgrading our rooms and improving the standard of housekeeping in the hotel so I would like to think if you come back you would be able to mark us as great.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

If I have another opportunity to return to Cardiff, I would stay here again.

The location is excellent, in the heart of the city centre. We walked to all the sights from here and we also took a taxi to the Millennium Centre, a 5.00 GBP ride. Across from the hotel, there are so many places to eat, drink, and shop.

The hotel itself is beautiful - sleek and modern. We stayed in Junior Suite on the 19th floor. It was very spacious for us - myself, 12YO son, and 17YO niece. With the sofa bed put away or pulled out, the living area was more than enough. There was ample storage space to unpack for 3 nights and store all 3 luggages away. Excellent view from the top and you’ll love basically a having a window for a wall. Although there are two TVs, don’t have them going at the same time. Since there isn’t a real wall separating the space, it doesn’t quite work out. The bathroom was well stocked and in keeping with the room very modern and roomy. It took us a few tries to figure out the shower. :D For our room, I would suggest that a small round or end table could be added by the window. I was constantly looking for a spot to put my cup down next to me as I looked out on the view.

Service is excellent - 5 stars. We were immediately greeted at the front door or desk, each and every time we walked through. Thank you, Rabbi. Your team was excellent.

Our room came with breakfast at the Business Class Lounge, and our host Gatis was very helpful an attentive through out our entire stay. On our very first morning, he patiently explained how the service worked and checked in constantly with us. I highly recommend their Super Breakfast. We had a late dinner in the hotel on our last night, as well. The food was excellent and the service was just as great at night - very friendly and attentive. I'm sorry I don't remember her name but she made us feel very welcomed.

In the afternoons, housekeeping comes around and restocks your room or asks if additional supplies are needed - for us it was water, tea, and hot chocolate. They do a turn down service, as well. Drapes are drawn close, beds ready, and again all provisions restocked.

They have free Wi-Fi and it was fast and constant. Whenever we’re in the room, the kids are online surfing and streaming. We Facetime to family back home as well. All FREE Wi-Fi.

Downside is parking and not because you have to pay but its extremely limited and tight. I drove to Cardiff and was in a Mercedes B-Class. If you drove in and there was no available parking I shudder how you'll turn around in there. It could be me but I'm a fairly good driver in the US and can maneuver my Suburban quite well in SF and have parallel parked in the City quite a few time, including that old parking structure at UCSF. Again, maybe it's the right hand driving but parking in their space was a chore. I felt it was too tight and on the 2nd and 3rd night parked across the street at John Lewis for a total of 32.00 GBP (20 for 24 hours). It was much better and the walk was just across the street.

Oh, and the lift. They only have one bank of elevators to serve all 21 floors. Expect a wait during peak times.

I would stay here again. The upgrade to Business Class or booking a Junior Suite is well worth the money.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views. It's also quiet but maybe that's because on the 19th floor...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Wow!

I don't think I have ever come accross such an all encompassing review, thank you so much!

Where to start? The shower? Couldn't agree more (sometimes I have difficulties figuring it out!). Side table? Nice point; I promise to look into it. Gatis and Rabb (& team)? Well I like to think they know how special they all are but It's great to hear it now and then.

I think the best way I can get accross how delightful it was to read your opinion is to award you our first ever 5star review (of a review).

Come back anytime.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

For City trips the most vital attributes are location, food and parking.
The location is amazing, slap bang in the centre of Cardiff a stones throw to a massive shopping centre, and nice restaurants, a cinema, pubs etc and plenty to do there.

The food in the hotel is top notch too, an Italian style restaurant with a lounge style bar for beers and cocktails, enjoyable as its very relaxing. The breakfast? It was amazing to say the least (Massive in size).

The only slight downside is the price of parking £15 is a bit steep but there is a car park close by that charge £6 per night, the hotel car park is very secure though but limited, get in early if you want to use it.

All in all it was a nice stay, and would definatley recommend this hotel on a short City trip to Cardiff.

Hello,

Lovely to hear such positive words, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend and were upgraded to a room on the 20th floor. Wow! What a view. With wall to ceiling windows on two walls we had a 230 degree view over the city. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable.Our only grumble was that it took half an hour to get a cocktail when there were only two people in front of us. We complained at reception and they were very apologetic and deducted the drinks off of our bill. Overall the service was very good and we would definitely stay again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
alan m, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Hello,

A lovely review, thank you so much. I must say, we did have a few issues on the bar the night you stayed but Jamie (our Bar Guru) assures me that we are back on top of things now. The views are exquisite aren't they?

Chees