“lift broken and slow odd service”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff
Ranked #10 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersBronze level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“lift broken and slow odd service”
Reviewed 7 October 2009

lift broken for both nights
room service cold
room had stains up walls from drinks etc
empty minibar even though asked and paid deposit

just lack polish and service very disappointing

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed 4 October 2009

Stayed at this hotel for a weekend treat. Booked an executive king room through lastminute.com. Whilst it was an enjoyable stay and lots of positives, it was obvious the hotel was experiencing growing pains but all of which could be easily ironed out. So here's my honest and constructive review -

Pro's - great city centre location. Views from hotel are amazing, esp if you get a city view room. Our room was modern and spacious and had a huge bed. Soundproofing good as had no noise from fellow guests or traffic/trainline below. Bathroom was also pretty amazing and fitted to a high standard. We arrived early but they managed to check us in with no extra charge or hassle.The porter was also able to direct and park us in the hotel car park (hint - ring beforehand and sometimes they will offer to reserve you a space).

Con's - If you wanted to use sauna etc you had to pay an extra £10pp for privalage. Thought this was pretty shocking, esp when paying £100+ for a room anyway. I hope they review this soon as with lots of other 4* competition in Cardiff, it's a reason to go elsewhere. I found breakfast choice slightly disappointing compared to other 4* hotels I have stayed at. Very few staff were available through breakfast service, which meant it was difficult to find a clean and laid table. They were also running out of some buffet breakfast items which was annoying. We felt signage could also be improved for the hotel car park and around the hotel itself.

But all in all, was a pleasant stay. Hope they take customer's comments on board and this could be a definately mean a return visit in the future.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Alexandria VA
Reviewed 2 October 2009

I booked a Tuesday - Wednesday - Thursday night stay in an upgraded, Business Class room here in early September 2009. I've given the hotel 4 rather than 5 stars because while it was nice, it wasn't quite up to my expectations. I'm not sure whether the hotel or my expectations were flawed.

What I expected was a brand-new hotel with the same level of polish and facilities as, say, a brand-new Marriott or Sheraton in the U.S. The Radisson isn't up to that level. I stayed in the Village Hotel Swansea a couple weeks later, and the Village was much posher and more comfortable (rooms, bar, lobby).

Service: Hard to score this. The front desk folks and facilities personnel were extremely friendly and helpful . . . but the reason I know that is that the air conditioning in my first room wouldn't work, and they spent hours unsuccessfully trying to fix the problem before moving me to another room. Still, the staff all were doing their absolute best to help. We had to evacuate a 4am when a fire alarm went off -- apparently set off by something a guest did -- and the next morning there was an apologetic explanation under my door. I appreciate that.

Rooms: My first room was in a bright primary-color color scheme, and felt more stripped-down than I expected from an upgraded business-class room. The second room was much nicer, both in its muted color scheme and in having a nice corner location. No hair dryer in either room; I didn't try requesting one, so don't know if one was available.

Public areas: Small and stark verging on barren. The lobby is a couch and a couple of chairs in total. The bar area was all hard surfaces without much comfort. I didn't try the restaurant other than for breakfast -- not sure if there's a separate dinner area. The hotel car park is very small and has very tight spaces; I was happier using the NCP car park a few hundred yards away, which is spacious, easy to get in and out of, and cheaper. No coffee shop, etc.

Breakfast: I see others have given negative reviews here, but I found the breakfast buffet ample, varied, and tasty.

Location: I found it good for visiting both the central city and the Bay area. It's a one-mile pleasant walk down to the Bay, and about a ten minute walk to the Castle and the Queen Street shopping area, with other shops and restaurants even closer. (We enjoyed Ask, an Italian restaurant a few minutes from the hotel.) A street or two further from the main pub-life area than the Marriott. If there was pub noise, I didn't hear any of it. Right now the area is a morass of construction, so driving to and from the hotel is messy.

If I return to Cardiff, will I stay here? Well -- I'll probably check out current reviews on the Marriott, first.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
essex
Reviewed 29 September 2009

Really nice hotel with friendly staff, large room and modern bathroom. Good location at the bottom of St Mary's St directly opposite the new John Lewis. No parking which i already knew about from other reviews but the NCP was a 5 minute walk away and only £8 for 24hrs. Breakfast was good, plenty to choose from but disappointed there were no hash browns! Would definitely stay here again.

Wales
Reviewed 27 September 2009

Just returned from a weekend at the new Radisson.This is a good hotel.We were fortunate in having a room on the 18th floor with great views of the City.The lure of hotelparking is somewhat misleading.The hotel has extremely limited spaces and the "car park full" sign appeared to be permanently in existence.You will almost inevitably have to park in an NCP multy storey which is about 400 metres from the hotel which is a bit of a pain.Having said that at £8 for every 24 hours parking this is extremely cheap for city centre parking and certainly cheaper than the hotel parking.
Rooms are roomy;bathroom good ;beds large and comfortable.No complaints at all.We had breakfast and that was fine as well.The hotel is located near to the new shopping centre St Davids2 and is exactly opposite John Lewis and the CIA and is only a couple of hundred yards from the train station and therefore is in a very convenient location.
At the moment the Radisson are doing outstanding deals.I paid £60 a night for a double (breakfast was a reasonable £10 per person extra) and therefore I would recomend the hotel as at that rate it is certainly the best 4 star deal in Cardiff.However as the hotel establishes itself I'm sure that the rate will increase sharply

north wales
Reviewed 27 September 2009

i stayed here with my partner on the 23rd and 24rth of sep and we had no problems at all,The hotel is finished to a very high standard,the rooms were very spacious and clean with a very confy king size bed.we requested a room on one of the higer floors and were given a room on the 18th floor with fabulous views over the city and cardiff bay.The hotel is situated more or less over the road to the cia which was perfect for us as we were there to wach michael mcintyre.The hotel food was very nice and fairly priced but we found the drinks to be a bit on the expensive side,all in all a nice stay.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 September 2009

We booked a 20% off weekend package in a Business room, including breakfast, on lastminute.com. I had mixed expectations - knowing the hotel would be experiencing growing pains, but having enjoyed our stay in a Business room at the Radisson Blu in Dublin two months ago. The hotel is conveniently located for those traveling by train, though we had difficulty finding it. Look for the massive John Lewis, which sadly was not yet open during our stay. The room was spacious, but the decor was not our style. My husband described the primary colored theme as a child's playroom. The walls are thin and not soundproof as we could clearly hear what sounded to be a bachelorette/hen party taking place next door. Thankfully the bed was exceptionally comfortable so we did not have any problems sleeping. Our room on the 21st floor had great views, a Nespresso machine, and robes, but I don't think a Business room is worth the splurge. As others noted, the bathroom appeared unfinished as it lacked a garbage bin and hooks. I also found the water pressure and temperature to be disappointing for a newly built hotel. Far more disappointing, however, was the breakfast, especially compared with the buffet that was offered at the chain's Dublin location. At 10am, with an hour remaining, there was little food left, and not a great deal of vareity. After waiting 10 minutes we had to ask for our table to be set with cutlery. The staff, though friendly, seemed in need of training. Overall, I would recommend this hotel due to the convenient location, spacious clean rooms, and comfortable bed if a good deal can be found, but skip the breakfast.

Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple