“Plastic sheet under the four poster (nice!)”
Review of St Hilary Hotel

St Hilary Hotel
Ranked #33 of 44 Cardiff B&B and Inns
Maldon
“Plastic sheet under the four poster (nice!)”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

To be fair, that was the worst of it and the hotel boasts several four posters although I wouldn't recommend this for any sort of romantic getaway. My room was tiny and you can hear all the other guests. That said, you do get a bit of a workout trying to open the door. The building itself is beautiful and probably even better if you are into rugby and canvasses. The breakfast was good and was in the LODGE (a few doors up) which looks far nicer, but I didn't stay there. Not sure if they have plastic sheets under their beds too. I imagine the assumption is that all guys in vans are incontinent.

Room Tip: make sure you get a lower room and check the undersheet before your host disappears!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2013

booked it last miuit for the rugby, we got a twin side room, small but clean. the walls are thin,you can hear people snooring, its very convenient to town ,10 mins walk, the gentleman that booked us in was very nice and genuine, the breakfast was nice. all in all its ok for the money. cash only

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2013

3 of us stayed in the B&B for £65.00 for the night. The welcome is friendly and the owners made sure that we had everything that we needed. As the previous reviews state, the décor is dated, but the rooms were clean, towels fresh and there was plenty of room for the 3 of us to get ready for the evening. You get more than what you pay for. If you compare prices of other locations in the city - this is by far one of the cheapest. It is a five-ten minute walk to the centre or we got a taxi which cost £5.00.

Cheap and cheerful and ideal for somewhere to crash after a night out. Breakfast was included within the price and there was extra tea and orange juice provided upon request.

All in all ideal for what we wanted. Will definitely be staying again on visit for a night out in Cardiff.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank sianh200
Merthyr Tydfil, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2012

St Hilary LODGE (not hotel) was the perfect B and B for my stay during a christmas do night. I loved the new york scene canvases around the bed and the landlady was a STAR. Entertaining and cheerful. The breakfast experience made me super happy because they were just so attentive and kind. food was served quick and was spot on. I wanna stay again asap. Karla Brading

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Came to Cardiff for a night out and visit to the city for my friends birthday. We were greeted upon arrival by the most delightful, bubbly lady who was very helpful, very fun, with a great sense of humour.
We were shown to our rooms and left to it. Although the rooms are very dated and quite small...for £15 each (which is what we paid from laterooms) we were over the moon. It was cosy and cute in my opinion.
The £15 each also included breakfast!!!!! Normally you pay £15 for a fry up let alone with the accommodation included!! The b&b is situated in a perfect position. Just out of the city centre so you dont get the noise and disturbance...but certainly walking distance (in flats) with a few nice restaurants and pubs for food or a drink along route. About 15 min walk to shops and clubs.

Highly recommend this place. People are quick to judge and leave negative comments yet not enough people show appreciation for good experiences. I much prefer to stay at a family owned b&b where you are looked after and treated like royalty, than a plush chain hotel where you are just a number. Had an amazing time and WILL be going back.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Dave14121987
Obigies
Reviewed 12 September 2012

It's a (very) simple hotel, looking old timer. We'were 4 in 2 rooms. Nr11 at first floor was okay but nr5 at ground floor was smelling humidity and a lack of fresh air. Breakfast was correct and situation from town center affordable if you like to walk. We were there for Wales-Belgium match, like this you know the context. Average, really average.

Room Tip: Not at groung floor
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Never ever again, I would rather stay in the train or bus. I have long forgotten televisions this old.d The gent who booked us in was good and I felt sorry for him. To get access to wifi from room 11 - sit on the staircase. Cash only on arrival, sneaky if you ask me, they got your money so you will stay. My girls and myself were too tired to find somewhere else. Not recommended at all. I am also going to find the owners details and put in a complaint. Not worth the £65. I am sure the YHA is better than this.

Room Tip: Do not take room 11. Especially if you want to read sub titles on the television - magnifying glass...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Debbie1958N

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels