“Horrific Stay”

St Hilary Hotel
Ranked #38 of 44 Cardiff B&B and Inns
“Horrific Stay”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I wasn't expecting much due to the price but I wasn't expecting this.
The decor is very dated and tired am the hotel seems clean but when you look closer is very dusty. The sink wasn't in the en-suite it was next to my bed and leaked alllll night. The door to the en suite was broken, my tv didn't work, there were plastic sheets on the bed, no curtains on the windows so the sun shone in from very early. You could hear everything!! I was awoken at 6:30am by a phone alarm vibrating and sounding in the room next door. When I thought it couldn't get much worse, I went down for breakfast. They got the order wrong twice, on the 3rd breakfast the sausages were raw. The pepper pots were stuck with pepper so you couldn't get any out. The bacon tasted like plastic and I am not sure if the waitress knew what planet she was on.
All round it is cheap yes, but you may as well pitch a tent in Sophia park 100yds down the road.

• Stayed May 2013
5 Thank DPips

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
devon
Reviewed 14 May 2013

having read previous reviews I was a bit sceptical but for the price I went ahead and was pleasantly surprised,the location wonderfull,free parking in road outside hotel,good breakfast,clean room,and the best pillows I have had in any hotel,and a very good price as I was working I wanted value and it was.

Room Tip: to minimise road noise a back of hotel would be quieter
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Abertillery, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2013

stayed here last night, Cardiff was very busy but managed to get a room here for £55 bed and breakfast which was the cheapest around. The room was clean, the beds comfortable, nice shower. the owners were very friendly and the breakfast was fab, will definitely return. it was also a nice quiet location.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Tasmania, Australia
Reviewed 8 May 2013

This place was ridiculously cheap. I really wasn't expecting much, and as I was travelling through Cardiff on my own I decided to save some cash.
I managed to park on the side road next to the hotel which had no time restrictions.

It's a nice old building (actually 2 buildings) and I rang the bell to be let in. The booking system is old fashioned, and there was no mention of my booking on the ledger. After a wait, I was 'upgraded' to a double room with an ensuite. Sounded good!

The bed wasn't terribly comfortable, it would have been better to not have a telly than the one that was provided, and there was no hot water in the shower. I don't mean the water came out cold, I mean there was NO water! I was on the top floor and as I was extremely hungover I didn't care too much.
The walk into the city is about 20 mins.

Probably wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Bracknell
Reviewed 7 May 2013

This is a budget B&B. It doesn't cost much, so don't expect the Ritz and you won't be dissapointed!

I had a single room, with a shared bathroom. There was a sink in my room. The room was basic, but clean and the bed was comfortable. The breakfast was nice and I was made to feel very welcome.

To get around, there is a good bus service in the city and there is a bus stop right outside. It's not a long walk into town if you would prefer that (About a mile)

There is free parking on the road outside and a pub, coffeee shop and convienience shop all within a few hundred yards

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Maldon
Reviewed 8 April 2013

To be fair, that was the worst of it and the hotel boasts several four posters although I wouldn't recommend this for any sort of romantic getaway. My room was tiny and you can hear all the other guests. That said, you do get a bit of a workout trying to open the door. The building itself is beautiful and probably even better if you are into rugby and canvasses. The breakfast was good and was in the LODGE (a few doors up) which looks far nicer, but I didn't stay there. Not sure if they have plastic sheets under their beds too. I imagine the assumption is that all guys in vans are incontinent.

Room Tip: make sure you get a lower room and check the undersheet before your host disappears!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2013

booked it last miuit for the rugby, we got a twin side room, small but clean. the walls are thin,you can hear people snooring, its very convenient to town ,10 mins walk, the gentleman that booked us in was very nice and genuine, the breakfast was nice. all in all its ok for the money. cash only

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple