“Got to be desperate to stay here.”
Review of St Hilary Hotel

St Hilary Hotel
Ranked #38 of 45 Cardiff B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 October 2013

St Hilary Hotel, the last chance saloon.

The place you end up when everywhere else is fully booked in Cardiff on a Saturday night.

I genuinely felt sorry for a lot of the foreign travelers coming to stay here and this hotel possibly being their first experience of Wales.

On my recent stay i was welcomed into the rickety old St Hilary Hotel by the lovely host and lead through to my room which was like nothing i've ever stayed in before.

It was roughly on par with the worst student accommodation i've stayed in.

Most definitely due decorating & cleaning!

But hey whilst they're still raking in £50 a room on a Saturday night why change.

We was nicely welcomed back to the hotel later that evening with a van parked outside with its window put through.

The walls are paper thin and you can hear everyone's every move through out the hotel so don't expect too much peace.

Room Tip: High floor preferably away from the noise of the entrance hall that the ground floor rooms get.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank dawson_25
There are newer reviews for St Hilary Hotel

Reviewed 24 August 2013

People are so used to staying in modern hotels these days. These hotels have all the benefits of being ....... NEW !!! They can often also tend to be square soulless rooms, and are virtually identical to hundreds ..... thousands of other rooms across the planet.

St Hilary hotel is not new ..... it is a Victorian building. The rooms are a little dated, but what they lack in the appearance of a modern hotel is more than made up for in the charm of the hotel.

From my arrival where I was made to feel very welcome by Sarah and her staff, to the perfectly adequate four poster bed with en-suite facilities, plus a fantastic cooked Welsh/English breakfast, I had no complaints ......... and all at a price less than 30.00.

There are better hotels around but if you are traveling on a budget you can't get a lot better than St Hilary's Hotel and St Hilary's Lodge, it's sister B & B hotel.

I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with en-suite facilities as not all rooms do. If Sarah can accommodate this, she will...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 July 2013

It was ok. I needed to stay somewhere cheap in Cardiff near Cathedral Road for two weeks as I got an internship there. I was somehow taken aback by the hotel staff even before my arrival when it turned out that I can't check in after 9 PM (which I find absolutely ridiculous) and I had to re-book my train ticket. Generally, the staff was very nice and polite, always smiling and making sure I was ok. I've received a small, en-suite room with a big double bed that took up most of the space. The storage space was enough for one person, but if two people stayed there it could get crowded.

The breakfast was...mediocre. I only ate there once as the company I've worked for provided a much, much better breakfast. The orange juice was the cheapest one possible and the rest of the menu didn't really encourage me to eat there either. Plus the decor of the dining room was horrible and thus made it look like it's not very clean.

The localization of the hotel is a big, big advantage. Only 15-20min walk from the castle (you can walk all the way through the park, which is so nice!). Almost right in front of the hotel there's a bus stop with buses going to the city center every 10-15 min. There is a little shop/post office nearby and a couple of nice and cheap cafes/restaurants. There's also a little patio/sitting area in front of the hotel, which was great.

Yet the hotel/lodge has some cleaning issues. My bed sheets, throughout the whole time I've been there, have not been changed, not even once (although I got new towels every other day which was good). Same goes for hoovering the carpet which got quite dirty by the end of the stay. There was dust absolutely everywhere and all of the 5 (!) mirrors in the tiny room were dirty. The shower curtain was full of black hair sticking to it (I'm blonde). Also, the shower leaked and the sink, after flushing the toilet, was spitting out water vertically through the drain (I kid you not). The whole decor of the hotel didn't help - very chaotic and over the top with the amount of mirrors/pictures/lamps etc. The mugs were dirty and there was only 1 tea bag. The sink was too small to fill the kettle properly with water.

I've got a room on the attic which turned out to be very unfortunate because the roof isolation is terrible there. Therefore, as it was very, very hot for most of the time I stayed there, my room was BOILING HOT and having the window open 24/7 didn't help at all.

I've definitely stayed in better B&Bs/guesthouses than this hotel, and for less money too! But all in all, it's ok and I'd probably stay there again if I had to come to Cardiff for a short, not sightseeing-oriented stay. While walking around the neighborhood, I've noticed that both the lodge and hotel are for sale (around 1 600 000, if anyone's interested), so just make sure they are still there if you're planning to stay with them within the next few months.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the attic. Front rooms can get quite noisy because of the traffic on Cathedral Ro...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Needed a room for one night as travelling up from the South Coast to see a show. Value for money as a full English breakfast was included in the price. Bit of trek from the town centre but not an unpleasant walk and Cathedral Road is full of lovely, old, Victorian/Edwardian residences built for the well to do such as doctors, solicitors, business owners.

We had a reservation for a double en suite at St. Hilary Hotel but when we arrived the "No Vacancies" sign was in place and the lady couldn't find us on her list. She was very pleasant about it and said it wasn't a problem as their other hotel, just three doors along, could accommodate us.

We wandered along to the other hotel, St. Hilary Lodge, and a gentleman opened the door and we explained and he went to get his list ((a hand-written list of names and dates) and our name still wasn't showing. It didn't matter because they did have a double room, en-suite, which, in fact, was a triple so larger than average. It was on the top floor, the attic, and he showed us to the room, explained which key was for the room and front door and then left.

The hotel has kept many of the original features such as the tiles hallway, beautiful ornate staircase, fireplace surrounds etc. Our room was clean, spotless carpet, fresh paintwork and crisp linen with ample pillows. A summer duvet but no additional blankets for those that feel the cold. A small bathroom with half a toilet roll, one small bar of soap but two large towels and one hand towel plus of course extra for the third guest (as it was a triple room.) Ample storage, a wardrobe with lots of hangers, and two bedside tables plus more drawers in the desk which doubled up for the tea and coffee tray and kettle. Didn't realise there was no milk until the morning and only one tea bag :-(

The room was quiet however I was pleased that our bed wasn't next to the window as the blind was not a blackout version and this time of year it's light at 4.30am.

Bathroom was very small but clean (apart from the extractor fan which was caked in dust, see photo) and the shower was adequate. However, given we were at the top of the house the water pressure was diminished so a power shower would have been nice. No hooks in the bathroom so nowhere to hang anything up. The shaver point worked but not the light on it.

Comfortable, firm bed with big squashy pillows but the two huge bedside lamps were somewhat unnecessary and took up all the surface space. Fortunately the bedside tables were of traditional design with a space beneath and then a small cupboard.

The TV didn't work properly. It didn't hold the signal for any channel inasmuch as as soon as an advert came on the signal went off. The radio reception was fine though. The top of the Freeview box/tv/back of tv also caked in dust. I didn't bother to report it as we were there so briefly but I feel the management should check these things. We also didn't know, weren't told, about the free Wi-Fi. I feel we should have been given the password on checking in.

As we left on the Saturday evening to go to the show I thought I could smell bacon cooking. As it turned out this was probably sausages as in the morning for breakfast we heard the microwave ping as something was re-heated. Breakfast was fairly good, egg fried to perfection but why is it hotels cannot get the tomatoes right? We weren't offered additional toast and the toast that came with the food was cold. My husband's sausage was also cold although mine was fine. The black pudding was hot and large. Greeted with a glass of orange juice and offered tea or coffee. We had one of each and each had our own pot. My teapot had TWO teabags! Quite a rarity I have found. My husband's second pot of coffee was tea but he drank it anyway. Breakfast was early for a Sunday, between 8am and 9am, too early in my opinion.

Not sure the hotel is totally computer literate. I emailed them the day before to ask if the hotel is on a bus route and I've still not had a reply. It is, as it happens, and the buses are frequent and good value for money £2.50 into the town centre). Also, whilst waiting for the train home o the Sunday I had an email from the company I'd booked through, Booking.com, to say that we were a "No Show." (This has now been resolved by Booking.com).

Room Tip: I would think rooms at the back are quieter as Cathedral Road is a busy road.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed in the Lodge which is also part of St Hilary Hotel....

We had a nice warm welcome by the owner, who was really helpful and more then happy to help..

Room was spotlessly clean,basic but perfect for a over night stay. I didn't have the breakfast so can't comment but my other half did and said she was it fantastic so will have to try it next time! .Good distance from Cardiff City Centre. About 10 minutes walk or 4 minutes Taxi journey to the centre. Great value hotel, will definitely be staying here again, when Im next in Cardiff.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I wasn't expecting much due to the price but I wasn't expecting this.
The decor is very dated and tired am the hotel seems clean but when you look closer is very dusty. The sink wasn't in the en-suite it was next to my bed and leaked alllll night. The door to the en suite was broken, my tv didn't work, there were plastic sheets on the bed, no curtains on the windows so the sun shone in from very early. You could hear everything!! I was awoken at 6:30am by a phone alarm vibrating and sounding in the room next door. When I thought it couldn't get much worse, I went down for breakfast. They got the order wrong twice, on the 3rd breakfast the sausages were raw. The pepper pots were stuck with pepper so you couldn't get any out. The bacon tasted like plastic and I am not sure if the waitress knew what planet she was on.
All round it is cheap yes, but you may as well pitch a tent in Sophia park 100yds down the road.

• Stayed: May 2013
5  Thank DPips
Reviewed 14 May 2013

having read previous reviews I was a bit sceptical but for the price I went ahead and was pleasantly surprised,the location wonderfull,free parking in road outside hotel,good breakfast,clean room,and the best pillows I have had in any hotel,and a very good price as I was working I wanted value and it was.

Room Tip: to minimise road noise a back of hotel would be quieter
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business