“Overpriced”

Ranked #199 of 1,215 Restaurants in Cardiff
Price range: US$12 - US$26
Cuisines: Italian, European
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Description: JAMIE’S ITALIAN Jamie’s Italian is a contemporary and informal restaurant with a menu that reflects Jamie Oliver’s passion for authentic Italian cooking, delivered with his own unique twist on classic recipes. Beautiful rustic dishes are created using carefully sourced, higher-welfare ingredients for the best flavour, but still at great value. This is a relaxed, affordable and accessible environment where the style, atmosphere and menu can be easily adapted to suit any occasion. KNOWN FOR Child friendly; great value, quick lunch; special occasions; group bookings, party planning.
Somerset, England
“Overpriced”
Reviewed 20 April 2013 via mobile

Went to Jamies for lunch. Hubby had risotto , I had a burger. Tasty food but overpriced for size of meal. £11 for burger on its own, extra to pay for chips. Very small portion of risotto, had to eat very slowly to make lunch last !

• Polish first
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Nothing to write home about....”
Reviewed 19 April 2013

We visited Jamie's last week with my family. Although I cannot say it was expensive, it wasn't anything special either.
Our waitress was quick, very polite and attentive, our desserts were nice, but the portions were quite small (about 6 green olives???), salad in a (small) cereal bowl (!) and the mains were average in terms of taste.
As for the prosecco.... well, let's just not go there..... lambrusco, more like....
All in all, we liked the vibe and the buzz of the place, and since we all like Jamie and Italian cuisine, we are willing to give it a second chance next time we visit....

Reading, United Kingdom
“Must try harder, Jamie!”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

The two of us arrived about 7.30 pm on a Monday to find the restaurant about half full. The waitress showed us first to a table right next to the kitchen door and when we refused it she lead us upstairs to a table next to the lift. Just as we were considering whether to sit down she advised us that several fish dishes were not available. At this point we decided to leave. We enjoyed a very good Italian meal at Giovanni's across the street. The credibility of the Jamie Oliver brand is being overstretched by this establishment.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank peterwarne3
Llanelli, United Kingdom
“Having a famous name over the door does not guarantee a great experience!”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Our first (and probably last!) visit as were were both very disappointed with the experience. The layout was very crowded and the tables too close together and were were quite cold as we were near the door so there was a draft every time someone walked in or out. We also found it really noisy and not somewhere you would want to relax and take your time over a meal. For some reason they were also playing some random 80's CD which we found a bit bizarre!

We decided to order a selection of starters to share and our first choice was the mozarella and porcini risotto balls with pickled chilli, tomato and garlic sauce which we both really enjoyed and as this was the first thing we tasted we were really looking forward to trying the rest of our order. However, the baked chestnut mushrooms with smoked mozarella, thyme and "music" bread (whatever the hell that is!) which looked really attractive when it arrived was a bit bland and boring and soggy underneath. The selection of breads with olive oil and balsamic dip were nice but nothing better than you would get in most good restaurants.

For the main course my OH had the grilled steak salad with fennel, watercress, mint, chilli, crunchy garlic, horseradish, lemon & olive oil. At £14 for basically a salad with about six bits of steak in it we thought it was over-priced and he found the mint far too over-powering! He also had the crispy fried polenta chips with rosemary salt & parmesan though thank goodness as he would have been starving otherwise.

I found I was very limited by the main course menu as I don't eat seafood and of the choices I had left most had either fennel or ricotta cheese in them - neither of which I like. Perhaps I'm more picky than most but I don't usually struggle to find at least a couple of dishes to tempt me on a restaurant menu. In the end I opted for the tagliatelle bolognaise which I only ate half of because it had an odd taste to it. To be honest I can cook a better bolognaise myself. Luckily the OH shared some of his polenta chips with me :)

Think we will give it a miss next time .......

1 Thank Scarlet2013
Dorchester
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pleasantly surprised :)”
Reviewed 13 April 2013

10th April 2013
After reading the reviews on here I was not too sure! However, I was visiting a friend who had already made the booking, so thought I'd just have to make the most of it!
In short, we had a very positive experience from the first welcome.
The service was prompt, efficient, helpful and polite. The food delicious and well presented. The price was as I'd expect and certainly not over priced.
And finally............. I'm a big girl, who loves her food and i certainly did not leave hungry :)