“Great place close to the city”
Review of Hotel One Hundred

Hotel One Hundred
Ranked #7 of 42 Cardiff B&B and Inns
“Great place close to the city”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Please don't be put off by the location this place is great. Yes it had it downsides that the heating didn't work very well on the first night, but it was clean and the bed amazingly comfortable.

Helene was a great host and catered to our every need, even buying in gluten free bread for my boyfriend who is coeliac. A great stay and we would definitely stay again

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mullingar, Ireland
Reviewed 12 March 2014

myself and a friend recently visited Cardiff without booking a hotel ahead of our visit. I had previously lived in Cardiff and new that Newport road had plenty of cheap hotels, and I knew these cheap hotels were cheap for a good reason. We were not fussy about quality as all we wanted was somewhere cheap just to sleep. Anyhow, we arrived in Newport road and knocked the door of "Hotel 100" asking for 2 single rooms, the very nice lady who we met said she had 2 rooms, so we checked in. I won't say the price of the rooms as I'm sure they are usually more expensive, and in my opinion they should be very much more expensive. The nice lady which I expect is the owner, showed us to our rooms which were gob smacking, queen size beds, luxurious bedding, tv, coffee all the extras, very nice furniture, and spotlessly clean. I got the front room which was a bit noisy with road traffic but that doesn't bother me. I could not believe how lucky we hit it, I have stayed in many 4 and 5 star hotels which were not as good.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We’d booked three rooms for a long weekend as were visiting Cardiff for a family wedding and didn’t want to pay Hilton prices. We received such a warm welcome on arrival and were shown our choice of rooms. I opted for the downstairs room at the front of the house as I knew the traffic noise would bother me as much as my parents. It was clean and comfortable (especially the bed) but extremely cold, even with the heating on full whack overnight. Bathmats for the bathroom would be nice too as the floor tiles were so cold when getting in and out of the shower. I also found the room very dark, once the energy saving lights had warmed up, it still felt really gloomy.

We were lucky to get use of a parking space, there is only room for 3 cars, and the walk to and from the city centre wasn’t a problem for us. If needs be a taxi was around £6 one way. We didn’t try the cooked breakfast as the free options were plentiful and fine for our needs. Having free wifi was also a bonus.

Overall a good stay and I love what they are trying to do with the place but I wouldn’t pay more than £70 per night.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank travelinthemix
hotelonehundred, Owner at Hotel One Hundred, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Hi Katherine,

Thank you for your comments.

We were not aware of the issues you mentioned as you did not mention anything to us during your stay.

We noticed while cleaning that you did not have the heater turned up all of the way. It was turned up half way so we thought you were very comfortable. The bathroom towel heater was also off for all 3 days of your stay. The room heaters are new Dimplex oil filled 2kw which when turned up high allow no chance to be cold in a room.

The bathmats are in the storage trunks in each room along with the hair dryer.

We use energy saving bulbs but we would have been happy to provide different lighting if we had been told. We have now changed the bulbs to a higher wattage.

On the first night you told us there would be one person less so we kindly reduced the price for you. The Hilton would not have done this.

For one room for 2 guests the total came to £63 per night over 3 nights over a weekend. The rate includes breakfast, Wifi and parking so we think the rates very good value compared to the Hilton who charge extra for these services.

Thanks again.
Lewes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Having read so many good reviews, I have to say that I agreed with the less favouable ones. We were visiting Cardiff from Sussex,to celebrate my aunt's 90th birthday with the family. It was our misfortune that this corresponded with the same weekend as the Six Nations match between Wales and France. It was to be expected that hotel space would be difficult to find when such an event is on followed by a Premiership football match the following day. I was still gobsmacked to find that the room price (normally around £60) had been increased to £150 for both the Friday and Saturday nights. At least the Sunday night was much more reasonable at £54.
On arrival the premises were locked . 35 minutes later, I received a text asking for our expected arrival time. I sent a text back to say we had been waiting 35 minutes. I was then given the code to enter and waited another 15 minutes for a lady named Helen to arrive. She was bright and cheerful - I was not!. It emerged that the owner, who we never met, had sent a text earlier asking for our arrival time. I was driving on a busy and noisy motorway at the time and did not get that message. Not a good start for one of the top rated Trip Advisor hotels. In truth it is a very ordinary B & B looking somewhat tired with rooms that do not even have a small wardrobe in which to hang clothes. We were in room 1 on the ground floor - OK if you like funereal decor - deep purple curtains and wall, black lampshades that prevented light emitting from tiny energy efficient bulbs. It was impossible to read in such dim light On the positive side, the bed was comfortable and the en suite shower room was very clean though the wash hand basin was minute.
Normally a £5 surcharge is added for a cooked breakfast. We were allowed the luxury of one cooked breakfast in view of the price increase - it was excellent. The continental style breakfasts were adequate but did not include any cold meats or cheeses.

The parking system is unique- room for three cars with one of them completely blocking in the other two! To open the security shutter it is necessary to walk around to the front of the house walk right through to the back and press the switch. Not much fun when it is raining!
The approach is up a rough narrow track with no proper turning space unless you enter private property. Parking is free in the surrounding streets.

The breakfast room also passes for a lounge of sorts with a couch and an armchair facing a wall mounted TV. It could have been tidier. Plant pots and DVDs were stacked along the back of a banquette - hardly 4 or 5 star presentation.

Helen and the two young ladies who made up the part time staff were very pleasant and helpful.
Maps were provided but the suggested walking times times into the city centre were very optimistic.It took us 20 minutes to walk to Queen Street and 35 minutes to the castle.

Hotel One Hundred is a middle of the road B & B not a hotel. Services and facilities are limited. I cannnot in all honesty recommend it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mike G
Hello,

Thank you for your comments.

The usual price for a double en suite room at weekends is £ 65 to £72 per night including breakfast and wifi. The average price for a hotel room for that weekend was £250+ room only, but ours was £150 including a cooked breakfast and wifi which was a good balance between being good value and maintaining a good standard of clientele.

We are sorry you felt the price was too expensive for you and it was unfortunate you were not in Cardiff for the Rugby, but the reason you did book with us is because we were cheaper than most places in Cardiff for that weekend.

We are not a 5 star hotel and we never pretend to be. We are a high quality bed and breakfast in Cardiff city centre offering very good value for money.
Denton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Lovely clean hotel. Rooms beautifully decorated. Lovely big bathroom. Staff friendly and helpful. A big plus for me, as I travel frequently, is that there is a fridge and microwave with plates and cutlery available for customer use. This means I did not have to eat out at night which is very useful and money saving.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

(3) Great mattress
(4) Good toiletries
(5) Fabulous breakfast spread
(6) Helen is helpful and friendly

Sadly there are also some not so good things too:
(1) The house is cold. If you, like me, find it hard to tolerate the cold don't stay here. The heating was turned off in my room during the day with the expectation that I would put it on when I got back from being at work. Helen helpfully left the radiator on for me on the second night of my stay (and found me a thicker duvet), but on the third night someone else had refreshed the room and had not only turned the radiator off but also left the window wide open in the rain, so the bed was wet and room was freezing. This was clearly not intentional but the manager was rude when I rang to complain. He made clear that they do not think it is reasonable to heat guests rooms when they are not in the house, even in January. I'm still staggered by his response
(2) the Wifi didn't work well at the top of the house. It's fine in the lounge area (which is unfortunately cold) but if you are at the top and want to use wifi in your room its not reliable

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Worcestershire
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Because we had tickets to see Sandi Toksvig at St. David's Theatre in Cardiff, we looked for somewhere inexpensive, fairly close to the city and with good reviews. We found Hotel One Hundred and it did not disappoint. We were very well cared for by the owner's Mother, the cooked breakfast was fresh and tasty and our room was delightfully decorated. It was on the ground floor at the front but we heard very little of the very busy main road outside.

The dining room/guests lounge was well furnished and offered comfortable seats with books and dvd's if required.

We wanted to pay with our debit card but was told that there was 3% charge to do so. We hadn't noticed this on their website - hopefully it has been made more clear now - but between us, we found enough cash. The parking was a bit challenging - there is a side street but most of the spaces are residential areas. Be careful where you park!

It was really a bit too far to walk into Town (for us mature people, anyway) so we took the car into Town thinking it was only a few minutes away. It was, but at the time we started out, (around 5.45pm) to find a parking space, a meal and then the theatre, the roads were absolutely jammed with traffic. Allow over an hour if you are doing what we went to do.

Overall, for the price, this hotel cum guest house was more than adequate.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple