“Central but still quiet”

Premier Inn Cardiff City Centre Hotel
Ranked #3 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 4 August 2011

The hotel is really well located close to the centre of Cardiff.

A few reviews have mentioned the self check-in machines. We couldn't use them as we had a booking with multiple rooms. I'm not sure I really see the point as most guests seemed pretty baffled by them and and possibility for a queue building up as somebody like my mum jabs ineffectually at the screen seems very high. Perhaps they work better during the week!

The hotel was definitely stag and hen central but I can hardly complain as a) we were there for a hen party and b) our room was amazingly quiet. I think being on the 9th floor helped a lot. If you're staying at the weekend I would suggest asking to be high up.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and the surroundings of the hotel are new, bright and clean. As with all Premier Inns I've stayed in the beds were very comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor - they've got great views and they're probably quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Premier Inn Cardiff City Centre Hotel

Reviewed 2 August 2011

We stayed here during a long weekend break in Cardiff. I have stayed in Premier Inn’s before so I knew what to expect.

This was the first time I encountered the self service check in. As a previous poster mentioned a member of staff helps you through the process so I cannot fathom why they just don’t do a normal check in. It seems pointless having a self service check in if a member of staff is required to be on hand.

The reception area was bright and clean with a couple of wending machines with drinks and snacks.

The rooms are the standard Premier Inn style. The only complaint I would have is that you cannot open the window.

We had some problems while we were there firstly neither of our two rooms were serviced by housekeeping one day which meant dirty coffee cups and glasses were left in the room. When I contacted reception I was told housekeeping had left for the day. There was no apology offered. We were asked if we required anything I asked for towels, coffee etc… for the rooms. I had to ask a second time when I went downstairs as the first person I spoke to had gone on their break.

Secondly there were a large number of young boys (6-12 years approx) staying in the hotel on some sort of soccer camp. This would not bother me apart from the fact that they ran up and down the corridors every morning from around 7:30 am. On one morning they spent over an hour trying to use their key cards to open my door or knocking on it and running away.
While I understand that it is not up to the hotel to supervise these children I would expect them to ask whoever is responsible for them to prevent them behaving in this manner.
This noise meant that I was unable to have a lie on any morning as you just could not sleep.

On a positive note the staff in the bar and restaurant were polite and friendly. The food is reasonable value but of a very average standard.
The location is pretty central and you can easily walk around the city.

I have to say that this experience of staying at a Premier Inn has turned me off using them again, especially in Cardiff. I am due to return to the city next February and I will be finding alternative accommodation.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn Cardiff City Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2011

Thank you for your review. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay, from the cleanliness of our rooms, to the quality of the food received. Please be assured that your comments have been noted and will be duly followed up by the Management team at the hotel. Once again thank you for your review we do hope to welcome you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Reviewed 1 August 2011

Good clean accommodation, big room, good food and very good rates.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cummuskey
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Good location in the city centre, in the building that once housed British Gas Wales. Not sure I like the automated check-in but there were plenty of staff on duty to explain how it all works. Got a very good night's sleep although perhaps I was fortunate; I spotted the hen party banners on the door of the room adjacent and swiftly asked staff to move me to a room on a different floor! Staff were very pleasant indeed. The self-service breakfast was good value, in a pleasant room, and better quality than I have had in some other Premier Inns.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Stayed here at the w/e, my first time at a Premier Inn and was pleasantly surprised! I was expecting basic & was a little worried, but the room was nice, clean with enough space & the bathroom was spotless! The bed was so comfortable with crisp white sheets that you didn't want to get out of it! The staff were friendly and helpful for your every need & the DIY check in was easy. Do try and get a high room though, as you'll have a better view, we were on the 2nd. The car park was easy to find, near on opposite the hotel and you get a 40% discount, which for city parking wasn't bad at all. The hotel is right in the heart of the town so everything is on your doorstep & the bus stop to Cardiff Bay is by the car park. I would highly recommend this hotel if you want an cheap & cheery & comfortable stay in Cardiff town centre.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor for a better view
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2011

My sister & I stayed here for two nights (Sat & Sun) in March 2011 (to watch the ice hockey & do some sight seeing). We arrived at the hotel at 12:00pm but were too early to check in (rooms weren't ready, check in is 2pm) but we thought we'd try anyway. The hotel lobby & bar area were buzzing with a variety of people (families, couples, hen & stag do's etc).
The location of the hotel ment we could easily walk into the town centre for shopping, eating/drinking & sight seeing. We checked in around 4pm & were given a room on the first floor (which turned out to be a bad idea for the first night!) The room was to be expected, clean, tidy, fairly spacious & comfy. Only problem was stag & hen parties! They all seemed to be on our floor! To try to explain - you go up in the lift & then when you get to your floor you step out into a large open area with rooms all around you so its quite echoy & the noise from people getting out of the lift & trying to find their roooms just carries! We didn't go to bed that early ourselves but found we were woken up a fair few times in the early hours by shouting & doors slamming!
The Sunday night couldn't be more different though, silence was golden!
So basically if you want some quiet avoid Fri & Sat nights otherwise ask for a quiet floor!
We didn't eat at the hotel due to being so close to other eating establishments so I am unable to comment on the food.
The bar area was pleasant with drink prices being ok.
All in all would definitely return as it was good value with a great location.

Room Tip: Book early & use Premier Inns website
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2011

In the last couple of years we have inveasingly used Premier Inns when travelling. Their value proposition was unbeatable and most of what can be said in their favour is in other reviews. However we returned from a stay in Cardiff to find they had taken £65 pound from our credit card for a "no show". We had paid the agreed rate of £52 on arrival. The staff were unhelpful when I called to complain, telling me I had booked 2 rooms. I had the booking confirmatio to hand and it clearly showed one room. They then said that the day before arrival I had made a telephone request for a second room. I asked when that was and they said at 3:01am! Only then did they realise that this was ridiculous. Now I don't know if this was a scam, a malicious member of staff or a system error but I do know that it is likely that someone accessed my personal details and that makes me nervous. We have just booked another trip. This time we did not choose Premier Inns. It's worth paying more to get peace of mind. And expect the staff to tell you it's all your fault if you have similar problems. Never again!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends