“Convenient location but the trendiness has lost its lustre.”

Ranked #42 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 7 June 2011

I just returned from my second stay at The Big Sleep. I will probably not return. A lot has changed/deteriorated since 2006 and it all felt a bit shabby. The rooms – and I use the plural from experience, as I had to be moved from my 10th floor room because the fan was broken and the room was too hot – were clinical and seemed to have been furnished from Ikea’s bargain area, complete with cracked Formica and stained fake fur curtains. As far as I could tell, it is not possible to open any windows in the hotel and the bathroom had no working extractor fan. The bed was satisfactory and I didn’t have the thin-wall problem that other reviewers experienced, but I did use earplugs. On the plus side, the hotel is very conveniently located to the town centre and the trendy harbour. The breakfast seemed perfectly passable to me; how can you go wrong with hard boiled eggs, pastries, cereal, juice, fresh fruit, and do-it-yourself toast with a range of spreads? The hotel bar looked inviting, but the loud music in the adjacent lobby kept me away. I think cheap deals can be had, but I booked a long time in advance and paid double the advertised rate. This hotel might perfectly suit some travellers – I loved it five years ago – but it’s not for me any more.

Room Tip: Top floors good views, but creepy and run down.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,586)

Reviewed 5 June 2011

We have stayed in budget hotels in the past so we knew what to expect! However they have always been clean and tidy! Then we stayed at the big sleep which i must say is the world's worst hotel. When we finally checked into our room the only word to best describe it is disgusting. The carpet hadn't been hoovered in what spelt like an age, the supposedly clean fresh duvet had hairs all over it and the side tables were covered in hairs. My boyfriend took a shower were the water turned itself off every two minutes and the 'fresh towels' were filthy. We then complained at reception and the guy came up to review the room. This guy must have been blind with no sense of smell and when my boyfriend pointed out that the shower head was pink with peoples skin,sweat and body fat he(reception) man asked why would body fat be there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He then offered to change the room..dont think so we just wanted a room to sleep in were we didnt need to take antibiotics when we got home. We told the receptionist that we were leaving and demanded a refund!! I dont usually write reviews on websites but thought I would for this hotel to save others the hassle that we experienced.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Hi

Thank you for your review I'm so sorry that you felt the cleanliness was not up to a high standard, a full investigation will be carried out immediately.

Reviewed 3 June 2011

Penthouse suite is lovely, the bed is amazing! Just could do with cleaning the rooms a bit more thoroughly!! And a little maintenance! And the trains are a bit noisy! But would definitely stop here again! Very close to the arena and some good resturants!

Reviewed 2 June 2011

I have used this hotel before, and will do so again. It's ideal for when I need to spend the night in Cardiff. OK, it's not the poshest place I've stayed, but the rooms are clean, the beds are comfy, there's a TV & kettle with coffee/tea making stuff in the rooms, and the rooms are en-suite. Parking at the hotel is not easy (there's only a handful of spaces, filled on a 'first come first served' basis), but there's a large 24-hour car park just around the corner that's actually cheaper! The breakfast room has the appearance & charisma of an office canteen but the food is plentiful. So, if you're looking for an upmarket hotel with service & price to match, don't stay here, but if you're looking for a clean bed for the night at a budget price then this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 7 June 2011

Thank you for your review I'm glad you like the hotel and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 20 May 2011

I can not believe people stay here and claim they are satisfied. My partner & I got to the hotel only to find there were no spaces in the carpark. The room was sweltering hot but the windows do not open. The carpet was awful, definately old office carpet by the looks of it and there were various stains around the room. The curtains were some sort of cheap, tacky, faux fur material and the towel rail in the bathroom was rusty. The mattress had springs sticking up all over it and the duvet was very thin. I didn't dare look at the actual pillows underneath the pillow case. We couldn't bare to stay there so went out straight away and after going to a concert over the road we checked into another hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 7 June 2011

Thank you for your review I'm sorry you felt the standard of room was not acceptable, this will be investigated immediately.

Reviewed 15 May 2011

There's nothing wrong with basic hotels, but this place is basic with an unpleasant feel to it. Horrible office type carpet, horrible mattress, sheet with repaired holes throughout it, stuff left from previous guests including a dirty bra(!!!), paint job shoddy at best, manky lifts not working, noisy drunk guests banging doors at all hours... I could go on. This place needs a major re-think and a major overhaul. It'll cost a bit, but this place surely can't last long when you consider how much the city is developing all around it and places like the Radisson Blu would be a much better option. What were you thinking Malkovich?!?!

Reviewed 14 May 2011

Elle magazine described this hotel as 'Super chic and super cheap'. I can only guess they didn't actually visit the hotel. The rooms look like a hospital ward and the curtains are made out of material that really old, shabby Teddy bears are made out of. They were also the dirtiest curtains I have ever seen, so much so that I didn't want to pull them as it might disturb the visible layer of dust along the top. They had strange brown marks on them and I really wouldn't like to hazard a guess what the marks were. There were hairs in the bed and the linen was stained. We requested an extra bed in one room and were given a fold up toddlers foam mattress that was so grubby it looked like it came from a skip.
The location was perfect for the Arena, which is all this hotel has going for it.

• Stayed: May 2011
Travellers also viewed these Cardiff hotels
Ibis Cardiff
Travelodge Cardiff Central
Sleeperz Hotel Cardiff
Sleeperz Hotel Cardiff
#21 of 74 in Cardiff

Been to Citrus Hotel Cardiff by Compass Hospitality (Formerly The Big Sleep Hotel Cardiff)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Citrus Hotel Cardiff by Compass Hospitality (Formerly The Big Sleep Hotel Cardiff)

Address: Bute Terrace, Cardiff CF10 2FE, Wales
Region: United Kingdom > Wales > Southern Wales > Cardiff
Bar / Lounge Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Suites Wheelchair access
Ranked #42 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Price Range: £43 - £269 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:2 star — Citrus Hotel Cardiff by Compass Hospitality (Formerly The Big Sleep Hotel Cardiff) 2*
Ideally located in Cardiff City Centre opposite the Motorpoint Arena (formerly Cardiff International Arena) and the new St David’s shopping arcade. The Citrus Hotel, Cardiff is within walking distance of the Cafe Quarter, local tourist attractions and businesses. Recently refurbished, the hotel offers 83 bedrooms and is ideal for business travellers, leisure breaks and families with a choice of room types to suit your needs. This fabulous Cardiff City Centre Hotel is perfect for those looking for Budget accommodation with a difference – great value with a designer feel. All bedrooms have WIFI, complimentary tea and coffee making facilities, Super King Beds, Smart TV, views of the city & complimentary Early Check-in at 2.00 PM when you book direct. Our hotel has a 24-hour reception and a Lobby Bar that provides light snacks and refreshments. Car parking is available on a first come first parked basis and is chargeable. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Stayforlong S.L., Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Citrus Hotel Cardiff by Compass Hospitality (Formerly The Big Sleep Hotel Cardiff) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Big Sleep Hotel
Big Sleep Cardiff
Big Cardiff Hotel Sleep
Big Hotel Sleep
Citrus Hotel Cardiff By Compass Hospitality (Formerly The Big Sleep Hotel Cardiff) Wales