“Barry Manilow Show in Cardiff”

The Big Sleep Hotel Cardiff by Compass Hospitality
Ranked #56 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
St Austell, United Kingdom
“Barry Manilow Show in Cardiff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

We booked into The Big Sleep as it was just over the road from the Motorpoint Arena. Wow what a great place to stay!!! Not over priced at all and the bed was soooo comfy we didnt want to get up next morning. Very large room very clean. Fantastic shower with lovely hot water. I wasnt fussed about the curtains as we didnt shut them anyway. I could have stayed longer that one night as it was so nice. Yes the room was basic but if you are off out enjoying yourself you only need somewhere to sleep and shower.. The staff were really helpful and chatty. We booked early and paid £74 for 2 rooms which didnt break the bank at all. (I paid more than that for my Manilow tickets)The only thing that went wrong was my door card stopped working but that was apparently because it was kept next to my mobile which somehow interfered with the card but it was no problem a quick visit to reception and all was put right. I will certainly stay here again if I ever go back to Cardiff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
TBSH G, Manager at The Big Sleep Hotel Cardiff by Compass Hospitality, responded to this review, 1 April 2016
Thank you for taking the time to write a review based on your recent stay at The Big Sleep Hotel Cardiff. We always appreciate guest feedback whether it constructive or praise. I am very pleased to read that you had such a good experience whilst staying with us. We hope we can accommodate you again in the near future. Thank you again for taking the time to leave your review

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed here for its close proximity to the Arena and it was great for that but we paid £95 for it which was way too much. The room was basic but clean and tidy although we never did work out how to get cold water in the sink! The curtains are like something my cats have had a go at but the rest of the fittings were fine.
The car park entrance is as bad as other reviewers have said - the ramp up is a nightmare and I was glad it was full so we parked in the NCP next door otherwise I'd have been worrying all night about driving out and I'm not a nervous driver normally. My advice would be don't even try, go next door to the NCP.
The breakfast was fine and enough for what it was. If I had paid £50 for this stay like some others have mentioned, I would be happy and think it was reasonable value for money, as it is I feel a bit cheated.

Room Tip: We were in 506 which is a nice one.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

You get what you pay for, Basic with none of the niceties such as a small fridge to keep the much needed milk (for cups of tea). I am sure the nice people on the reception would have given extras but that is not the point. Apparently we had "one of the best rooms", I would hate to see the less than best ones. Only one lift working, not sure how long the other had been out of action. The toilet was difficult to flush and when we succeeded to get it to work the pipe noises would have woken the whole building. A 'man' was asked to see to it with a minimal improvement but still much noise. Embarrassing in the middle of the night. Twin beds were basic, one comfortable, the other not and noisy as there was a crack through the base wood. Apart from the noisy toilet we were not disturbed by other noise even though on 3rd floor. Loved the unusual curtains (LOL).
If you want somewhere to shower and put your head this will be fine. Continental breakfast included with many people taking extras for lunch of course.
What really saved this place was the pleasant and always helpful staff. Congratulations to them. I hope that the building can be improved.

Room Tip: For easy access to town, a bed and shower, this is ok.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ann G
Il Gzira, Malta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed here for two nights earlier this week. The entrance and hallways reminded me of a run down youth hostel. The staff at reception were lovely by they didn't make up for the rest, I am afraid. The room was very, very basic. Reasonably clean-ish (i.e, bed changed, clean towels etc) but the windows were filthy. There was a sign in my room that said to dial '0' should I need anything form reception...there was no phone! The breakfast was terrible. The choice was dry, stale, over-cooked croissants, toast or cereal. None of which I can eat as I have to avoid wheat. A banana would have done me, but not a scrap of fruit was offered, yogurts or anything hot. The bed seemed to slope over to one side so I didn't get the best sleep. The only good thing it's location. There were no other redeeming qualities about this place. It is a real dump.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review based on your recent stay at The Big Sleep Hotel Cardiff. We always appreciate guest feedback whether it constructive or praise. I am sorry to read that you had such a negative experience whilst staying with us. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short. We will pass these comments to our Maintenance and Housekeeping teams to be dealt with straight away and make sure it does not happen again. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of. Thank you again for taking the time to leave your review

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Bristol, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel quite frequently when it first opened and loved it's odd, retro look, but hadn't been back for a few years. Was seeing a band at the Motorpoint Arena, so booked in for just one night as it's right outside.

The lobby and bar area look to have been recently refurbished and are welcoming. But the room was so old and tired looking, my guess is they haven't been refitted at all since opening. The rooms are just worn, broken and patched up.

I was on the 7th floor in a corner room, windows wrapped round two wall and could barely see out of them they were so filthy. The window in the bathroom was basically brown.

If all you want is a bed for the night, then go for it, staying in the rooms any longer could be depressing.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Me and my boyfriend traveled from Plymouth to Cardiff to see Arctic Monkeys at the Motorpoint Arena. The venue was literally right outside the window so that swung it for us. Also, found it for £30 online so really can't complain for that price, since all we wanted was somewhere dirt cheap with a shower and a bed. And less than a two minute walk back from the gig was a huge plus! We were under no illusions at this point that this was going to be a romantic night away in a hotel! Just as well.
'Basic' is the word I'd use. But £30 was so cheap it didn't bother us. I would have been miffed if we'd payed any more. We had a bath in our double room which we were chuffed about. Although none of the usual bits you find in a hotel room, hairdryer, tea & coffee, iron, shampoo, etc. The bed was rock hard, paper thin pillows (only two on a double bed) and duvet, even in winter. Really uncomfortable. But to be honest, we'd just spent 6 hours standing at a gig feeling a little worse for wear so we had no trouble sleeping, and were too tired to care at the time anyway. Also worth noting, it's noisy as hell both inside and outside the hotel so request a room high up - this building is really tall. We were right near the top and got a quiet night although I've read different from people lower down.
Although it suited our needs, I've given it 3 stars because I really wouldn't recommend The Big Sleep for anything other than a bed to crash in for the night if you're drunk or just come back from a gig. Or both. Fellas - don't think this will be a nice place to take the Mrs for the weekend! If you're looking for somewhere romantic or a nice getaway then just pay a couple of extra quid and look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Request a room high up to avoid the noise
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Cheltenham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

This was our third stay at The Big Sleep and sadly I think it will be our last :( over the years the hotel has got more and more shabby which is a real shame as we loved our first stay!

We chose to stay again as we were going to a gig at the Motorpoint Arena which is literally across the road. After check in we were unable to get into our room as the door key cards wouldn't work, this was soon sorted and we were soon in.

The room was extremely tired and in dire need of a coat of paint, the column in the corner had some vile, what I can only describe as bodily fluid splattered across the wall (see pic) and all the other walls were marked. The carpet was stained and ripped, the light above the bed was cracked and broken and one of the mugs for tea/coffee was chipped. A real shame as these are simple things to sort out! The corridors to the room smelt dank and only one lift was working which meant really long waits....usually we gave up and used the stairs.

Breakfast was ok, I seem to remember hot food being on offer the first time we stayed but was happy with continental.

Staff were extremely friendly and check in/out was quick, just a shame the rooms let them down.

All in all I think the hotel is now catering for the hen and stag parties that seem to plague Cardiff and not for guests wanting more of a boutique stay as it once was :( a real shame