Ranked #42 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I had booked to see a Darkness gig at Cardiff Students Union in mid November of this year. I did not relish the thought of missing half a gig to catch a 10.30pm train back to West Wales especially on a Sunday night. So I looked at cheap hotel alternatives in Cardiff I.e. Premier Inns and Travelodge's etc. in order to see the whole gig and have a room to crash out in later on. (I should also mention that I was recommended this place by a friend too in the process).

I proceeded to make a looking through the Late Rooms website in weighing up other comparisons. I was aware that at peak times I.e. weekend, bank holidays & major event the room rates can be as high as £110 per night for a twin or double room. On off peak times I.e. Sunday, the room rate drops to £35 a night for a twin or double room, which is then in the budget hotel bracket and therefore more affordable.

The hotel is situated in the centre of Cardiff, near the Motorpoint Arena. It is five minutes walk away from the Central train station, in fact closer to the Queen Street station. From the outside the building is an unassuming off ice type block, the only giveaway that it is a hotel is the signage. The hotel boasts 80 rooms incl. Family, twins & doubles..

The reception is on the second floor, with a big lounge/lobby and small bar/snack area. You can check in any time after 3pm. You are given two smart cards, one for the room door lock and the other for the electricity. Worthwhile arranging for an alarm call, breakfast is between 7.30pm and 9.30 pm. And is a continental one.

The room I has was large, pained a pastel blue and had what looked like imitation sheep fleece curtains (nice). Cheap but fairly comfortable bed. TV with the menu language in Turkish (although easy to work out what's what on the remote), kettle & coffee/tea making facilities, desk & chair, clothes rail. Heated towels and complimentary shower gels in bathroom also. Can also have Wifi for additional charge and also late check out option for an extra amount.

Continental breakfast is served in the bright pink breakfast room on the first floor. You can have cereals, croissants coffee, fruit, yoghurt, toast, fruit juice, eggs etc.

Service at the hotel is generally good, staff seem friendly & helpful. There is car parking available too with a nearby car park.

I found the hotel cheap, modern, clean & tidy. I had a decent sized room with a good view of the centre. I quite enjoyed my short stay there and has encouraged me to come back a later date nearer the time of my next music gig in the capital.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
TBSH G, Manager at Citrus Hotel Cardiff by Compass Hospitality (Formerly The Big Sleep Hotel Cardiff), responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write a review based on your recent stay at The Big Sleep Hotel Cardiff. We always appreciate guest feedback whether it constructive or praise. I am very pleased to read that you had such a good experience whilst staying with us. We hope we can accommodate you again in the near future. Thank you again for taking the time to leave your review

Write a ReviewReviews (1,586)

Reviewed 10 June 2014

This was booked for me by others for a stag do.

I shared a room with a mate. it cost us £80 for the night.

The bedroom has no open windows in the room or bathroom. It is dusty, and extremely stuffy and hot. Not to worry though, there's a fan full of dust on the wall, which doesn't work.

The curtains are like something out of a horror film. Looks like sheepskin.Heavy, dusty, stinking, and green.

The bed seemed rather comfortable at first, but I got woken up in the middle of the night by springs "going off". Not the best quality then, and probably not too safe either. Fortunately I wasn't hurt.

The carpet on the floor had stains everywhere, and had a nice coat of dust.

The windows are dirty, and they don't open. Probably not suitable for claustrophobics.

You can hear conversations next door.

What makes everything worse is the fact you can only check-in at 3pm, and have to check-out at 10:30. This was particularly bad for us, as we arrived after lunch, and had to roam around with our bags.

It is all a money-making scheme, as wifi isn't included, you can pay an extra £10 to check-out at 12, and breakfast is only continental breakfast (extremely disappointing too).

In summary, I am extremely disappointed with this hotel, and would not recommend it to anyone. Consider this when in the end the price is about ten pounds cheaper than the likes of Radisson and other hotels near by!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write a review based on your recent stay at The Big Sleep Hotel Cardiff. We always appreciate guest feedback whether it constructive or praise. I am sorry to read that you had such a negative experience whilst staying with us. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short. We will pass these comments to our Maintenance and Housekeeping teams to be dealt with straight away and make sure it does not happen again. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of. Thank you again for taking the time to leave your review

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed here 3/6/2014 until 5/06/2014 with a couple of mates. The location of the hotel is excellent, a stones throw from the main shopping area and a load of bars inclding four JD Weatherspoons, so cheap meals not far away.

The hotel is as described - very basic with modern design - but is clean, and reasonable comfortable with nice-sized rooms. Breakfast is continental type, but ample there to fill you up and until well gone lunchtime.

The bad thing is the parking. There are not many spaces (17 I think), and the cars are packed in like sardines. If you have a blue badge, ring the hotel well in advance and they will reserve you the disabled bay at the front, by reception, like I did. If you park at the front by reception beware of the tiny guardrail(about a foot high), as you cant see it from your driving position, and many cars have crunched into it, or so I'm told. Also the hotel charges £7 per night for parking.

I think that it is value for money, considering its location, and you shouldn't need a taxi, so you save money there.

Room Tip: Go to third floor or higher to escape train and traffic noise.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ian R

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We booked into The Big Sleep as it was just over the road from the Motorpoint Arena. Wow what a great place to stay!!! Not over priced at all and the bed was soooo comfy we didnt want to get up next morning. Very large room very clean. Fantastic shower with lovely hot water. I wasnt fussed about the curtains as we didnt shut them anyway. I could have stayed longer that one night as it was so nice. Yes the room was basic but if you are off out enjoying yourself you only need somewhere to sleep and shower.. The staff were really helpful and chatty. We booked early and paid £74 for 2 rooms which didnt break the bank at all. (I paid more than that for my Manilow tickets)The only thing that went wrong was my door card stopped working but that was apparently because it was kept next to my mobile which somehow interfered with the card but it was no problem a quick visit to reception and all was put right. I will certainly stay here again if I ever go back to Cardiff.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed here for its close proximity to the Arena and it was great for that but we paid £95 for it which was way too much. The room was basic but clean and tidy although we never did work out how to get cold water in the sink! The curtains are like something my cats have had a go at but the rest of the fittings were fine.
The car park entrance is as bad as other reviewers have said - the ramp up is a nightmare and I was glad it was full so we parked in the NCP next door otherwise I'd have been worrying all night about driving out and I'm not a nervous driver normally. My advice would be don't even try, go next door to the NCP.
The breakfast was fine and enough for what it was. If I had paid £50 for this stay like some others have mentioned, I would be happy and think it was reasonable value for money, as it is I feel a bit cheated.

Room Tip: We were in 506 which is a nice one.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 May 2014

You get what you pay for, Basic with none of the niceties such as a small fridge to keep the much needed milk (for cups of tea). I am sure the nice people on the reception would have given extras but that is not the point. Apparently we had "one of the best rooms", I would hate to see the less than best ones. Only one lift working, not sure how long the other had been out of action. The toilet was difficult to flush and when we succeeded to get it to work the pipe noises would have woken the whole building. A 'man' was asked to see to it with a minimal improvement but still much noise. Embarrassing in the middle of the night. Twin beds were basic, one comfortable, the other not and noisy as there was a crack through the base wood. Apart from the noisy toilet we were not disturbed by other noise even though on 3rd floor. Loved the unusual curtains (LOL).
If you want somewhere to shower and put your head this will be fine. Continental breakfast included with many people taking extras for lunch of course.
What really saved this place was the pleasant and always helpful staff. Congratulations to them. I hope that the building can be improved.

Room Tip: For easy access to town, a bed and shower, this is ok.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ann G

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed here for two nights earlier this week. The entrance and hallways reminded me of a run down youth hostel. The staff at reception were lovely by they didn't make up for the rest, I am afraid. The room was very, very basic. Reasonably clean-ish (i.e, bed changed, clean towels etc) but the windows were filthy. There was a sign in my room that said to dial '0' should I need anything form reception...there was no phone! The breakfast was terrible. The choice was dry, stale, over-cooked croissants, toast or cereal. None of which I can eat as I have to avoid wheat. A banana would have done me, but not a scrap of fruit was offered, yogurts or anything hot. The bed seemed to slope over to one side so I didn't get the best sleep. The only good thing it's location. There were no other redeeming qualities about this place. It is a real dump.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business