“Cheap, Clean and Comfy!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Big Sleep Hotel Cardiff by Compass Hospitality

The Big Sleep Hotel Cardiff by Compass Hospitality
Ranked #56 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Cheap, Clean and Comfy!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2010

We stayed in The Big Sleep hotel in Cardiff for one night on 20th August.

The location of this hotel is superb, right in the city centre. You couldn't want a better location! From the outside, this hotel looks like a homeless hostel, but once you go inside, it's transformed and looks really nice. Our first room (yes first. More on this in a sec!) was a sickly pink colour and faced a building site, but it was clean and comfortable. When we arrived, I wanted to get a shower as we'd been up early and had been traipsing around Cardiff all morning with our bags as we weren't allowed to check in until 3pm (would love to know what they do between the hours of 10.30am (check out) and 3pm!). When I went to brush my teeth, the water ran really hot and wouldn't cool down. We rang down to reception who advised us that it had already been logged as a problem to the maintenance team, but they weren't working that day so we'd have to be move. This was a minor inconvenience, but was made up for by the friendliness and speed of the staff, who appeared within five minutes and moved us to another double room on a higher floor.

This room had a nice cool feel to it. Blue and white, very clean (apart from the curtains which were pretty grubby) with a view across the city. Much better than the first room. The bathroom was very clean too and had everything we needed, including a heated towel rail which I found to be a nice touch in a budget hotel, especially as it was a rainy day and our clothes were damp.

We had a drink in the bar before going out. The bar has recently been moved to the second floor, beside reception. Again it was very clean, nicely decorated and although quite small, there was still enough room to have a quiet drink with your partner or friends, or to join others for a chat.

At night we had no problem with noise, maybe because we were quite high up? We weren't next to any other rooms either - the nearest room to us was next to the bathroom end of our room, so quite far from where we were sleeping, and on the other side was an ironing room. Because of this, I can't comment on any of the other reviews complaining about sleepless nights due to noise.

The room was quite hot when we got back because it was a warm, muggy day and night but we kept the wall fan on all night which kept the room cool.

Check out from The Big Sleep is at 10.30am which we found to be very early. Most hotels we've stayed in have a check out of 12, which was actually offered by this hotel but at a cost (can't remember how much, £10 maybe?). We were running a bit late, but the 10.35am knock on the door to tell us to hurry up was a bit mad. I mean, 5 minutes?!

All in all, this hotel was basic, but most importantly clean and tidy. The rooms are big and the beds are very comfortable, and for us anyway there was no problem with noise. Nice bar and friendly staff. If I could change anything about this hotel it was be slightly earlier check-ins and later check-outs, I'd give those curtains a good scrubbing from time to time and I'd make sure maintenance have their work done before they have their day off. But they're just a few minor details that didn't spoil our visit and I would sum The Big Sleep up as a friendly, basic, clean and comfortable hotel that I would recommend to anyone looking or just that.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
TBSH G, Manager at The Big Sleep Hotel Cardiff by Compass Hospitality, responded to this review, 1 April 2016
Thank you for taking the time to write a review based on your recent stay at The Big Sleep Hotel Cardiff. We always appreciate guest feedback whether it constructive or praise. I am very pleased to read that you had such a good experience whilst staying with us. We hope we can accommodate you again in the near future. Thank you again for taking the time to leave your review

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Swansea, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

We stayed here on a bank Holiday weekend, and there seemed to be large groups of lads staying there who made an awful amount of noise. Not really an issue until they all came back around 4am, coupled with the paper thin walls, and doors that bang so hard they made the rooms shake.

Rooms are big but basic and decorated in an unusual style, not enough pillows, no hair-dryer and if you have young kids or need to sleep well it might be better to stay in a more mainstream ( or expensive ) hotel. Staff were helpful though.

If you don't like hard-boiled eggs, you might want to avoid breakfast.!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review based on your recent stay at The Big Sleep Hotel Cardiff. We always appreciate guest feedback whether it constructive or praise. I am sorry to read that you had such a negative experience whilst staying with us. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short. We will pass these comments to our Maintenance and Housekeeping teams to be dealt with straight away and make sure it does not happen again. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of. Thank you again for taking the time to leave your review

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Newport
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2010

Myself and my husband booked this hotel last minute as we fancied a night out in Cardiff, we booked the executive room at the top of the hotel as it looked nice in the photos and it had a jacuzzi, sepetare lounge area, and little kitchen, we payed £100.00 for this room for one night, when we arrived at the reception the receptionist was helpful but did not look proffesional to greet guests, we went to our room and it looked fine when we walked in, I went into the bathroom to run a bath and noticed that the overhead light was flickering, I tried to switch it on and off to see if it would reset but unfortunately, it didnt.

My husband rang down to reception asking if we could move rooms but they didnt have any others avaialable as fulluy booked, we asked if there was a member of staff that could come to look at the light and fix it, the receptionist told us that they were not allowed to touch any electrical appliances not even to evaluate them, so we had no choice and had to look for another hotel, we were lucky that there was one available not too far away, they gave us a refund on the room, disappointed that they could not do anything else to help us.

Pershore, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2010

Decided to take my fiance away for his 21st Birthday to Cardiff, and came across The Big Sleep Hotel on a google search for hotels in Cardiff centre. After deciding it looked the coolest and the best value for money, proceeded to book it. Was only £48 for the night, including continental breakfast. Added a little note to the bottom of booking telling them it was for a birthday trip away, and said I would appreciate anything extra they could do. When we arrived at check in on Monday, we were delighted at being told we had been given a complimentary upgrade to the Penthouse Suite, the second best suite in the entire hotel, which is much more expensive.!! The suite had a leather sofa and HD tv in living room, and anothehr HD tv in the bedroom, a separate kitchen and, the best part, a jacuzzi bath in the bathroom!! Had a gorgeous view from the windows of Cardiff bay in the distance, and of all of the city buildings lit up at night looked gorgeous. The decor was contemporary and funky, and was very clean!It was literally just over the road to the buzzing city centre, including the amazing St David's shopping centre. This hotel really did make our trip special, a trip to remember.

Swansea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

Stayed here for the night with my partner, the front is decieving but clean and tidy when you get inside. Helpful staff at reception, cheeck in is at 3pm but we took our bags in at 11 and placed then in the luggage room which is very secure. Rooms basic but clean and tidy with a tv and freeview. Breakfast was basic 2 just toast, cereal but ideal 2 fill a gap, go down early thou as its a small room and gets very busy after 9.
At the back of st davies shoppin centre which is ideal & directly opposite the CIA arena.
Would recommend to a friend & would stay again!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Brighton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2010

The concept of this hotel has always intreged me so when i saw a special offer i jumped at the chance to stay there. I really wanted to like it as i like the idea of 'Cheap Chic' as a change from the blandess of larger chains. However they seem to be going with the 'Shabby Chic' concept instead due to how dirty and unkept this place is. I can forgive the very dodgy ground floor entrance (probably the least appealing of any hotel i have stayed in) and i did have a great view towards the bay from my 9th floor room. It was just a shame i couldn't see it very well as the windows were flithy! I would have thought cleaning the windows was fairly basic but obviously they don't agree. The rooms have no aircon and get very hot and clammy, although not as bad as the corrdior outside. Breakfast is included which was nice, but i couldn't help but notice the 2 roller blinds behind the Juice Bar were covered in large unslightly stains. How much does a roller blind cost to replace? This kind of sums up this place for me a nice idea ruined as they are obviously trying to spend as little as possible on it. With clean windows and no unslightly roller blinds it would have been a better experience. Small things but they do matter as to the overall effect. I have stayed at much cheaper hotels which have been spotless, so it's not about what they charge as others do offer clean accom for less. As it was i felt unclean the whole time i was there. On the way back from a day out by train i called into the 'Sleeperz' hotel next to the station to see their rooms. First impressions were really good, rooms may be tiny but the whole place is modern and above all VERY CLEAN!! I wanted to cry when i realised i had to go back to The Big Stain to sleep....

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
Weymouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2010

We stayed at the big sleep!! for the Speedway GP weekend. We did manage to park outside the hotel, (bonus). The hotel itself was strange. It was designed, straight out of IKEA. The staff were unhelpful. I requested extra pillows for the room. Was told the was none, but would send up some sheets that we could fold up and use. These never arrived!!
The room was very hot and the curtains filthy. No air conditioning, just a dusty fan in the corner that was next to useless.
The lift shafts near the hotel room were really noisy and this continued all night. This is defiantly the most poorly named hotel as you won't get much sleep unless you are hammered!
The breakfast was ok. About the only good thing about the hotel. Its not worth the £100 per night that we paid. £40 would of been the most its worth.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple