Hy husband used to be in Cardiff a lot for business around 8-10 years ago so we used to stay here frequently. Having not stayed here for around 8 years I was disappointed with our stay last weekend and do now question its 5 star status.
On arrival the car park was full but they found a space for us at the back (good times).
On entering the lobby it still took my breath away when i looked up, this is a stylish and well designed hotel with a ship theme to it.
We booked on the day via the hotels reservation system so didn't get such a great room with a view (first floor double) but that was okay and was nicely done out.
There was no mini bar there now (bad times) so we had to order up some drinks from the bar, which was fine as I got a nice cocktail.
We had a lovely meal here in the restaurant but they no longer seem to make use of the outside space for meals and drinks (shame that).
The restaurant manager was a lovely guy who gave my husband a very passionate talk on the cheese board (which he thoroughly enjoyed, and also the cheese)!
We decided not to venture into Cardiff and took our selves off to bed around 11.30.
The hotel was very busy with a wedding and a 40th Party going on, which we then found out was below our room and pretty booming so beware if you are allocated a room on the 1st floor above the function rooms, as it was not until 1am when the music went off and we could finally sleep (not great and not told either).
Breakfast was great, nice choice and no complaints and a nice view of the Marina.
Then we ventured off to the Spa (big mistake), having spent lots of blissful times here in the past, when it was a stunning Spa ahead of it's game, it has took it's eye of the ball and started to languish in decay.
There were lots of broken and cracked tiles in and around the Pool area and rust and decay everywhere and it did not feel clean either. It is in desperate need of a reburb, even replacing the loungers would improve the area but it looked like it was being neglected and ignored. I did not opt for a treatment so I cannot comment on those.
Come on St Davids you have the potential to be great again if you spend a bit of cash to regain your crown and please your clients.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The St. David's Hotel is situated on the waterfront of Cardiff Bay. Dynamic and contemporary in style, the hotel incorporates an impressive floor-to-ceiling, glass-backed atrium that provides a vision of space and natural light. All bedrooms have private balconies and waterfront views. Just five minutes from the centre of Cardiff, St David's Hotel is adjacent to Mermaid Quay with a wide range of entertainment including The Wales Millennium Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Ebookers, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The St. David's Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. David`s Hotel Cardiff
- St Davids Hotel Cardiff
- Cardiff St Davids Hotel
- St Davids Cardiff
- The St. David's Hotel Cardiff, Wales