“Weekend business trip”

Ranked #15 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
MK
“Weekend business trip”
Reviewed 15 January 2012

A colleague and I recently stayed here whilst down in Cardiff on business, which we do quite regularly. We moved out to the bay area as we had previously found hotels in the city very noisy at the weekend. This was definitely much quieter even though there were events going on at the hotel The room was clean and spacious and well equipped. Breakfast was good but I would not recommend the evening meal - it was very pricey and not of 5 star quality. There are several restaurants within walking distance so I recommend you try those instead!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JackDanielsMK
MJones2011, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Thank you for your reveiew following your stay during your recent visit to Cardiff. I am pleased that you and enjoyed your stay and hopefully we can welcome you back to St David's again in the future, perhaps to try our new and exciting menu by our talented and creative Executive Chef.
Graeme Barclay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (848)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2012

This hotel is on the waters edge. Both sides have great views of the quayside action. Car parks are just opposite. Buses or waterbus for centre are a short walk away. The hotel has a buzzy large bar area - good cocktails, and we ate extremely well in the first class restaurant.
The rooms are spacious and light with panoramic windows. The bed was the best nights sleep
I have had in a hotel in the UK. Soft Egyptian cotton sheets ! Good reading lights and a comfortable armchair too - plus a large plasma screen and a tea making facility. You look down at Mermaid Quay where all the action is - Harry Ramsdens, Cafe Rouge etc.
Great place to stay !

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and everything that St David's has to offer. We very much hope to welcome you back the next time you are passing through Wales.
London
Reviewed 10 January 2012

My partner and I stayed at the St David's Hotel & Spa for the first time for 1 night in Dec.

First the positives...
1) I requested a room on an upper floor with bay views when I booked and was very grateful to be given one on checking in. We had a lovely balcony and the view was spectacular.
2) The rooms are lovely, modern, comfortable, spacious and well-equipped with wonderful bay views. Had everything we needed plus extras such as bathrobes, slippers, iron/ironing board. Spotlessly clean.
3) The spa feels luxurius and it was very relaxing. Loved the huge jacuzzi.
4) The location is great for exploring the bay with great restaurants and bars close by but away from the noise and hustle of the city centre.
5) Breakfast buffet was wonderful with a huge selection. The staff were particularly efficient and even offered to have pancakes, eggs benedict etc. made to order for us. Even though it was busy they checked back on us on several occasions to make sure we had everything we needed.

Sadly there were a few issues...
1) When we arrived we pulled up on the double yellows outside and asked where we could park. We were told the car park was full. I told them that we were checking in....how can a 5* hotel have no parking available for staying guests?! They then changed their minds and said we could park. The charge of £8 a day for residential guests is just greedy. I am aware the car park next door is £5 but give the location hotel parking should be free for hotel residents.
2) There is only free wi-fi for 30 mins and it's painfully slow. To access faster wi-fi you have to pay a charge of (I believe) £12 a day. Fees like this make hotels uncompetitive and had our stay been for more than 1 night, we would've stayed somewhere else. Internet access is as much a requisite utility as running water or in-room heating these days and hotels need to stop profiteering from this. On a more positive note, we discovered that if you make up fake email addresses when you have to login you can access the free wi-fi again every 30 mins continuously!
3) The sauna in the spa was stone cold and although the staff turned it on and off again it never got warm enough to use. Wouldn't really complain if it was a one-off, but previous reviews on TA suggest this is an ongoing problem.
4) The lifts are seriously super slow. Fine if you're not in a hurry but at times waiting 7-8 mins on the top floor was rather tedious. Again you'd expect better from a 5* hotel.
5) Whilst the staff were perfectly polite, they did not go the extra mile you'd expect from a 5* hotel and we found ourselves having to ask for things a lot. One such typical example was when we checked out. The receptionist asked if we had a car in the car park (in order to charge us) to which we said "yes", he then checked us out, we carried our bags (ourselves) to the car, then couldn't get out of the car park as we didn't know we needed a 4-digit code to open the barrier. I then had to walk all the way back to the hotel where I asked the same member of staff for the code. He didn't even apologise for not telling me in the first place!
6) Rooms didn't have a mini-bar which surprised me for a 5* hotel (particularly in Cardiff where we loves a drink!) I rarely use them but when I came back from the spa in my bathrobe, I really fancied a G+T but didn't want to have to get dressed (and wait forever for the lift) just to go to the bar.

My review may be a little over-critical but I'm trying to be constructive as this hotel could be really special. I would stay at the St David's hotel again but my advice to them would be 1) Sort your maintenance issues out 2) Stop charging for so many extras and 3) Encourage your staff to be more thoughtful and improve customer service.

Then it'd become #1 hotel in the 'diff!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor with views over the bay.
2 Thank Welshjetset
Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed the hotel's unique setting and thank you for your kind comments in relation to your room, breakfast and our Marine Spa. I am however sorry that certain aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations and your constructive feedback will be discussed with my management team as I assure you that St David’s has an ongoing commitment to supporting our guest’s needs.
Birmingham
Reviewed 8 January 2012

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights after the madness of Christmas and New Year. I can only say it was a peaceful haven. It was a Christmas present and I certainly wasn't disappointed. We checked in and were given a £10 drinks voucher to spend in the bar, then we were shown to a most luxurious, newly refurbished room overlooking the bay, with a small terrace. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't kind to us but because of the proximity to bars, restaurants etc. that were only a short walk away, it didn't really matter. We were also provided with robes and slippers, which meant we could get ready for the leisure facilities in our room and then head down the short corridor to a lift which took us straight down to the pool area. We will definitely be returning to this hotel and explore the area more....hopefully when we can enjoy some warmer, sunnier weather!! All the staff were helpful and pleasant and Honika on the reception was particularly welcoming. Thank you one and all!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Bay to Penarth, rather than a room overlooking the Mermaid Quay, alth...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
MJones2011, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Thank you for your review following your recent stay. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and made full use of the facilities. I look forward to welcoming you back soon, hopefully when the sun is shining!
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Unlike in London, staying at one of the best hotels in town won't eat up an entire paycheck in Cardiff. I stayed for almost two weeks and even though it was the holiday season, I made my booking through the hotel's website and a seemingly never ending string of weddings were held at the hotel, I paid a lot less than I would have at a similarly highly rated hotel in London. And unlike the other top rated hotels in Cardiff, the only noise you'll hear here is the wind, no matter what side or floor of the hotel your room happens to be on.

Add to all this the constantly fresh air from the Atlantic ocean, the friendly and attentive staff and the hotel's proximity to downtown (less than 10 minutes by car, 15 minutes by foot and public transport) and you have the top hotel in its class in the Welsh capitol.

And (in my case anyway), Internet access was fast and stable. Many guests will probably also appreciate the fact that you only pay for the time you're online as opposed to paying for 24/7 access.

Although in my case the proximity of Tesco and Sainsbury stores offset this, the one clear improvement needed would be a minibar for each room to completely warrant the five star rating. Room service is great at all hours (literally), but some may prefer the choice a minibar offers.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony, it's worth the extra cost!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Thank you for your review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and the unique setting and location of St David's. We hope to welcome you back again in the future.
Barry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Extremely dissapointing, beautiful spa but on three separate occasions some of the facilities didn't work, not really even a sorry!! A huge tide mark all around the water level of the tiles!!
Hairs in my bed, very smelly throws, cracks in bathroom sink, dirty stains on carpets, dusty rooms, very dirty balconys with glass that doesn't ever seem to ave been cleaned?? Rubber breakfast, good evening meals but certainly not worth the price??? My prawn puree had just one in the tablespoon size I had??
On two occasions, money was held back from my account, even though my bill had been paid, the first time this cost me £95.00 in bank charges, which yes the hotel did refund, but the 2nd time they held back a few hundred and caused £175.00 in bank charges, around this time I was very ill, so stupidly let that one go, no point now, as managers & staff just seem to come & go & always passing the buck...How many times I have been told we are improving our services??? Maybe you would invite us for a night when you finally deserve your 5* status, as 4* Copthorne hotel, Cardiff & 3* Best western diplomat, Llaneli really know how to treat their guests!!!!!

Room Tip: Wait till they finally buck there ideas up, or lose a star & become cheaper!!
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Stayed here in July on a 3 night deal which included dinner & breakfast so was very good value.

Overall the location is amazing, staff are extremely professional and the room was superb with a great view.

Downsides are charging for parking (which I did get removed after complaining), limited dinner menu especially if you are eating 3 nights in a row and an overall sense that this is really a 4* Hotel - definitely not on a par with other 5* Hotels I have experienced.

Would have no hesitation at going back again, but expectations would be a bit lower than they were on our first visit.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments following your stay with us last July which have been noted and shared with the team.