If you are looking for elegance, class and quality; this is the wrong place to stay: This hotel is what I would describe: "A good Premier Inn with Extras". As you come in, I was surprised by the bareness of the reception room: it is a big empty space with two cheap sofas in the middle. The hotel's fittings are of poor quality (e.g. lamp shades are made of plastic); we stayed in room 517, supposedly to be a superior room and the poor quality carpet had a big stain in the middle of the room (I think they tried to clean it with bleach). There were no pictures or paintings on the walls. Nothing in this hotel is elegant. The rooms have no fridge so people keep their milk, juice and wine in the balcony; I found an old wax earplug on the floor. As another reviewer pointed out; the balconies are not private. All in all, some 4* hotels are far superior to this.
HOWEVER, what makes this a 5* is the services: the staff are very friendly and helpful including the ladies who clean the rooms; the beds although narrow were comfortable and so were the pillows; the gym is very good; breakfast was excellent with friendly staff; and room service was second to none.
One more thing, the internet connection is a joke: they give you 30 minutes at a time and one has to register your details and log in again. I just wrote an "a" in every box including postcode and email address (a@....). Why not provide continuous connection? The Midland hotel in Manchester had the same system and so many people complained; now you have constant access to it.
We will not be staying at this hotel again unless we need to be in Cardiff Bay in the summer. Instead, I hear that the Marriott, although only 4* is superior in quality and service; we'll try this one next time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The St. David's Hotel is situated on the waterfront of Cardiff Bay. Dynamic and contemporary in style, the hotel incorporates an impressive floor-to-ceiling, glass-backed atrium that provides a vision of space and natural light. All bedrooms have private balconies and waterfront views. Just five minutes from the centre of Cardiff, St David's Hotel is adjacent to Mermaid Quay with a wide range of entertainment including The Wales Millennium Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your The St. David's Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. David`s Hotel Cardiff
- St Davids Hotel Cardiff
- Cardiff St Davids Hotel
- St Davids Cardiff
- The St. David's Hotel Cardiff, Wales