“What Makes This Hotel To Be a 5 Stars One?”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #15 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 29 January 2012

If you are looking for elegance, class and quality; this is the wrong place to stay: This hotel is what I would describe: "A good Premier Inn with Extras". As you come in, I was surprised by the bareness of the reception room: it is a big empty space with two cheap sofas in the middle. The hotel's fittings are of poor quality (e.g. lamp shades are made of plastic); we stayed in room 517, supposedly to be a superior room and the poor quality carpet had a big stain in the middle of the room (I think they tried to clean it with bleach). There were no pictures or paintings on the walls. Nothing in this hotel is elegant. The rooms have no fridge so people keep their milk, juice and wine in the balcony; I found an old wax earplug on the floor. As another reviewer pointed out; the balconies are not private. All in all, some 4* hotels are far superior to this.
HOWEVER, what makes this a 5* is the services: the staff are very friendly and helpful including the ladies who clean the rooms; the beds although narrow were comfortable and so were the pillows; the gym is very good; breakfast was excellent with friendly staff; and room service was second to none.
One more thing, the internet connection is a joke: they give you 30 minutes at a time and one has to register your details and log in again. I just wrote an "a" in every box including postcode and email address (a@....). Why not provide continuous connection? The Midland hotel in Manchester had the same system and so many people complained; now you have constant access to it.
We will not be staying at this hotel again unless we need to be in Cardiff Bay in the summer. Instead, I hear that the Marriott, although only 4* is superior in quality and service; we'll try this one next time.

2  Thank FandangoEspanol
MJones2011, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

Thank you for your review. St David's does have an individual modern style which I appreciate is not to everyone's taste. My apologies for the housekeeping issues which I will investigate and I confirm that mini bars are not provided in the rooms as we offer a full 24 hour room service menu as part of our 5 star service. I was pleased to read your comments with regard to the service provided by the team.

Graeme Barclay

Write a ReviewReviews (3,951)

Reviewed 25 January 2012

Stayed here with my family, there was a complimentary bottle of pink bubbly in our room on arrival, the room had a balcony with views over the sea. The decor was modern and clean. Breakfast is well worth having, great choice, location of the restaurant makes the most of the views. Staff on reception were really friendly. Only downsides were, pool is quite small and for us we were very restricted on the times children were allowed to use the pool. There is no furniture on the balcony so you can't sit out!

Room Tip: The higher you are the better the view!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with your family. I am pleased you appreciated the complimentary Fizz, together with all that St David's has to offer.
I very much hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 24 January 2012

My husband and I stayed for one very windy January night and despite being on the 6th floor did not have any wind noise to contend with - the room was very peaceful. We have stayed before but did not eat there on this occasion as we were attending a concert and decided to eat out afterwards. We spent a very pleasant hour or so in the bar in the early evening and the service was excellent, we were very well looked after. There was plenty of choice at breakfast the following morning and the breakfast room has splendid views of the Bay. All in all a very pleasant stay. My only criticism is that I would like to have a mini fridge in the bedroom to keep drinks chilled but this is a small point and won't deter me from going back again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, despite the weather! Your kind words have been shared with the team and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Thanks for your review.

Reviewed 21 January 2012

Didn't stay here out of choice and it was poorer than I anticipated (although we ate elsewhere and didn't use the spa facilities so unable to comment on those facilities).

Check in was quick and very helpful and there is no doubt that the atrium is very impressive, although the lobby itself is very sparse. I felt like I was in the lobby of a clinic instead of a hotel.... I also begrudged having to pay £8 for parking.

We had a Junior Suite and the extra space, very comfortable sofa and floor-to-ceiling windows were lovely. The extra amenities included chocolate, crisps, Welsh-cakes, biscuits and rose sparkling wine, all very nice. The bed, duvet and pillows were probably the most comfortable we've ever had but I'm sorry to say that's about where the 5* rating ended for me...

The beautiful views and large balcony should have been amazing - unfortunately none of the balconies are 'private' as advertised. Please bear this in mind if that's important to you! Instead of a dividing wall there were see-through pieces of mesh and we could see right along all the balconies on our floor. Also, no furniture on the balcony. A five star hotel! How on earth can there not be any furniture?! OK I get we're in rainy Wales but even so, the weather was gorgeous when we were there and it was such a shame not being able to sit out there with our coffee in the morning. This was my major issue with the hotel....

The bathroom was not at all luxurious and in need of an overhaul. The Molton Brown toiletries were lovely but... Only 1 sink, a seriously TINY shower and a toilet flush that you had to hold down for around an hour to do the job :-) Quite a few floor and shower tiles were cracked and had been subject to a filler job instead of being replaced. Oh but there was a phone.... Hmm....

Also, although the room appeared spotlessly clean, when the sun came glaring through the windows it was slightly disheartening to see the amount of smears of god-knows-what and fingerprints all over the headboard and wardrobe doors, as well as the windows. Pretty yucky and made me want to go buy some Dettol wipes and Windolene.....

Less important but still worthy of a moan about, were the bathrobes. Slightly hard and scratchy and extremely small! My not-overly-large boyfriend looked ridiculous in it, like he was wearing a child's dressing gown. It was hilarious and did give me a good laugh though, I hope I didn't wake the neighbours...

I must acknowledge the very helpful staff and the wonderful bed. The views and location are also pretty perfect.. Otherwise, I don't think there's a lot else going for this hotel unfortunately (unless the spa and food are wonderful, which I can't comment on) Maybe if they updated the bathrooms, put hard flooring in the rooms instead of carpet and got some balcony furniture in, I may stay again.

1  Thank AmyLJ

Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to read your comments and am sorry to read that certain elements of your stay did not meet your expectations. Please be assured that your comments will be discussed and addressed with my management team.

Reviewed 20 January 2012

Stayed for two nights on business, room booked on late rooms for £75 per night, which for a 5 star hotel is an excellent price. Check In was very efficient and once in our room, realising there was a problem with the heating system, it was very quickly rectified and our room changed. Room was very clean and enormous and very comfortable. Leisure facilities smaller than expected but clean. We did not eat in the restuarant, preferring to eat out - recommend Woods Brasserie.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your excellent comments regarding your stay with us. I have already passed on your comments to the team here at St David’s. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 20 January 2012

I have stayed here with work a number of times but this latest time was the only occassion where I couldn't have given it a 5 out of 5. The noise in the room from the wind outside was unbelievable! I know the hotel is right on the bay and some noise would be expected but I think the window and door seals were faulty as the noise and draft coming through was shocking! I love this hotel but I don't know why I keep getting rooms with no minibar? It is quite annoying to have to ask room service if you want a drink!
The views are spectacular over the bay though and the Cardiff Bay area is walking distance and is crammed with nice bars and restaurants so you won't be stuck for things to do!
Breakfast is great! They have everything you could want!
I also love the bathrooms in this hotel, no nice, clean new and modern and the beds are always so comfortable although I couldn't sleep anyway because of the roaring noise of the wind.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you once again enjoyed your stay and your comments regarding the mini bar will be discussed with my management team. As you suggest the unique location of the hotel does mean we are open to the elements and this was a particularly blusterly night, however I will of course ensure that the seals are checked.
I look forward to welcoming you back again shortly.

Reviewed 16 January 2012

My husband and I booked a long weekend spa break at St David's to celebrate our first wedding annivery/my birthday as a result of reading good reviews on Trip Advisor and left, after the first night, sadly disappointed. Admittedly it was friday 13th but from the moment we entered the restaurant for our evening meal things went downhill. We were unimpressed by the food (crayfish cocktail drowned in sauce) and even less impressed by the singer in the bar which adjoins the restaurant (having to shout to each other over his renditions of 'Fly me to the Moon' 'Leaving on a Jet plane' etc at full volume was exhausting and certainly killed any romance). In the hope of getting some peace we had no option but to retire to our somewhat dated and worn 7th floor room at 8.30pm (there was nowhere else to go) but we could even hear him over the tv in our room ! From 11pm onwards, as everything quietened down, we became aware of the sound of the air conditioning in the hotel which hummed loudly all night and neither of us slept a wink. We couldn't wait to check out the following morning and the reception staff weren't the slightest bit interested in encouraging us to stay. It advertises itself as a relaxing spa hotel but nothing could be further from the truth. Admittedly the 'entertainment' is only there on fridays but there is no decent relaxing quiet room to get away from it and the air conditioning running throughout the building at night is disturbing to say the least.

4  Thank ImogenSurrey

Thank you for your review. I was very disappointed to read your comments and apologise for your disappointment on your special occasion. All feedback is taken very seriously and I will discuss your comments with the team.