The St. David's Hotel
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
4,102 results
All reviewsmaster suitecardiff bayoverlooking the bayspa facilitieson arrivalmermaid quaythe hotel car parkpay and displayfloor to ceiling windowsrobes and slippersafternoon tearelaxation roombirthday treatan upgradewelsh cakesbars and restaurantslovely room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I had a one night stay in this hotel with family (2 adults and 2 children aged 15 and 12) at the end of a short break in Wales. We had two connecting rooms which were fine with great balcony views over Cardiff Bay. Issues: only 30 mins free internet access per 24 hours; very restricted hours for children's use of pool which was not clear at time of booking; chaos at breakfast time - buffet had run out, my "full Welsh breakfast" appeared to be scrappings from the buffet boxes which had gone back to the kitchen and my wife's kipper order never arrived. We (eventually) got an apology for the breakfast mess and the receptionist was very good just not what is expected of a supposedly 5 stare hotel. Location is great for Cardiff Bay but about a mile each way to city centre down Lloyd George Avenue or Bute Street (both very staright and easy to find).

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank mark p
MJones2011, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2012

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay but wish to offer my apologies for the poor breakfast service you experienced. I have passed your comments to my Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager.
I hope we can welcome you back to St David's in the future to restore your confidence.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

The hotel was beautiful. Beautiful room, modern yet cosy and very big. Little extras made it even better such as cotton buds, shoe cleaning accessories etc. However on inspecting the cleanliness wasn't up to the 5 star rating... or even 4. Few hairs in the bath tub, dust on door frames etc. Also the outside of the hotel had gone to look shabby. The balcony dividers had gone a browny/green colour due to weather and they should be updated to keep the hotel looking fresh and clean. The prices for the spa were extortionate considering the initial hotel price is so high the spa should be much much cheaper. We did ring room service for fresh mugs an there was no answer so service could improve. All in all a lovely trip though and would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. Your kind comments are much appreciated and your further observations have been noted. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

I thought it might be a good idea to put a review of the Spa on here, as it seems to be very popular for hotel guests and also for day guests. My friend and I took advantage of a deal on some treatments in the spa, a back massage and facial (55 mins worth of treatment) for £40 including use of pool and facilities.

The spa and the pool are very nice, though not sure about whether its in keeping with 5 star rating... although I must stress it is a very nice pool area, it did look a bit tired, it was rusty in places which was a bit dissapointing (If I felt dissapointed, I'm not sure how the Celebs staying here would feel!). On the plus side, the Jacuzzi area is nice and big, so there is plenty of room if it gets busy, you can relax in the bubbles and look down to the pool area or accross through the glass to the view of the water outside. There are also loungers around the pool.

The spa area is very comfy there are sofas and comfy chairs with a view of the water. There is a self service juice bar/tea point (being pampered all day is thirsty work!) and Magazines and Newspapers are provided for you to flick through while you lounge around in your robes waiting for a treatment.

The relaxation room looked very comfortable, a few of the guests were taking advantage of the silence and dim lighting, perfect for a quiet snooze pre/ post treatment.

The best bit was the treatments: I had a lovely back massage (25 min) and facial (20 mins). I'm not a fan on facials, but this one was very relaxing, the therapist used Espa products and my skin felt great afterwards, lovely and soft, not greasy at all.

The changing facilities are, like the pool, quite tired looking, the hairdryers are ancient and only one was working, and (this is the worst bit), there were no plug sockets! LADIES TAKE NOTE... my friend and I had planned to go for a meal at Mimosa after our spa day, and we both looked terrible as we had frizzy hair due to the rubbish dryers and absence of a socket to plug our straightners in! :(

I'd come back to the spa (as it's local to me), but only for special offers, as it's usually quite expensive. All in all, a nice day out- 8/10.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank hariborose
MJones2011, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

Thank you for your review following your recent day in our Marine Spa. I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your day with us and have noted your comments (particularly the one about the plug for the straightners!).
We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

This was only a very brief stay after theatre in Cardiff. Nice welcome, efficiently taken through check-in and a summary of the facilities. We did not use the Spa or restaurant, however, the room was very nice, large widow facing the bay, and good in room facilities. One for the ladies, my wife thinks it is the best hair-dryer of any hotel we've stayed at!!
Breakfast was what you would expect from a good hotel, nice range of hot and cold and excellent juices, the waiting staff were excellent.
The hotel is within easy walking distance of 'the bay' and lots of decent restaurants.
My only gripe is having to pay for parkling in the overflow pay and display.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back again in the future, when you can take advantage of all the facilities we have.

Reviewed 19 February 2012

We had a dinner bed and breakfast package which was really lovely. On arrival we were told we had an upgrade to a master suite! This was excellent, such a beautiful view over the bay in the lounge area. We even had our breakfast in our room which was very good. Dinner was also tasty. The spa area is particularly good; huge area which was quiet both times we went there. Service could have been better at dinner, but apart from that we had a great time.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted you enjoyed all that we have to offer and hope to welcome you back soon.