“Great Service, Gorgeous view.”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #14 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
“Great Service, Gorgeous view.”
Reviewed 11 July 2012

A lovely hotel with absolutely stunning views from the balconies. Foyer was very impressive and rooms were very comfortable indeed...in fact, I would happily have taken the exceedingly comfortable bed home with me if I were allowed :D. Bathroom was not quite so good, decor-wise, but was clean and had all the necessaries.

I found the level of service to be exceptional...desk staff in particular were warm, friendly and very helpful, and made sure we had everything we needed.

We ate in the hotel once for breakfast, and once in the evening, and again, service was very good indeed...attentive without being in the least obtrusive. The buffet breakfast was of a good standard, and the evening meal was very good, if perhaps slightly overpriced. Fantastic desserts though, and I wholeheartedly recommend the pannacotta. There are loads of places to eat within walking distance of the hotel if you fancy something a bit different too.

We did go and have a drink in the bar at one point (lovely cocktails) and while waiting times were a little slow, the bar was fairly busy, and the bar staff were always very courteous (and apologetic about the wait).

The spa facilities were very relaxing, and much appreciated on an unfortunately rainy weekend...the private lift allowing you to go there already in your robe was a good touch, and I will likely be availing myself of one of the treatments next time I visit.

Cardiff Bay itself is a fabulous place, with plenty to do (and some good bars), and lovely views. All in all, I would absolutely recommend the St Davids, and would definitely visit again myself.

1 Thank Seffie1331
, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Thanks for such a great review, the score of 5 is much appreciated by myself and the team. I am delighted you enjoyed all that St David's has to offer and look forward to welcoming you back in the future as unfortunately I can't let you take a bed home with you at this stage!

Graeme Barclay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (870)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Stayed at the St David's hotel for a conference.

Large rooms with floor to ceiling windows and spectacular (I was on the 11th floor) views out across Cardiff Bay with a balcony. The rooms were clean, modern, with a stylish bathroom. I didn't get time to use the facilities but they did look great. Restaurant and conference rooms have great views across the bay. Staff were all very helpful. The car park was full when I arrived and had to use public parking facilities which only accepted coins - it took a while to get change to park, but no fault of the hotel. Plenty of public parking is available if the hotel car park is full. The bar area has a balcony over the bay and if you can get the sun to shine its a great place for a few drinks!

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room here - the top floors have the best views
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Chem73
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope your conference was a success. I wholeheartedly agree with you about the sunshine, hopefully it will make an appearance some time soon!! ... and yes, the terrace is a great place for a drink in fine weather, hopefully we can see you there some time soon.

Manchester
Reviewed 10 July 2012

What a stunning hotel. Build and design of the highest quality. Ate in the bar on arrival and had what must be one of the best steak sandwiches I have ever eaten.
It seems to be a bit of celebrity hang out too. As well as Jason Manford the Welsh International football team were staying at the hotel and we actually shared a lift with Gary Speed.
Our room was a massive corner suite with two balconies over looking Cardiff Bay. The room also had a huge seprate living area with a dining table.
The leisure facilties were of a very high standard and the massage I treated myself to was well worth the money.

Room Tip: Stayed in one of the big suites overlooking the bay, but all the rooms are of a high standard.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and thanks so much for your "5" score. Your kind comments have been shared with the team and we very much look forward to seeing you back again soon.

West Sussex
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Check-in was smooth but I would like to single out Craig from concierge for his help with luggage and change of room as requested. This is what Customer Service is all about - well done and thanks.

I had stayed here before so knew what the hotel was like and overall I feel that I had value for money. The only real comments are that whilst the common areas were being decorated when we were staying, the bedroom was tired: water stains on the curtain, cracked and chipped tiles on the bathroom floor and the comfortable leather chair showing signs of wear. Other chairs were also damaged. Added to this an A/C system that was so noisy even when on low so that sleep was difficult, left me feeling that this 13 year old hotel needed an update in the rooms. On a two day stay the bedding was not changed after the first night and at the prices charged I would expect this to be a standard.

Breakfast was fine - plenty of choice but spoiled by a waitress with terrible body odour, that really was off-putting. We asked for more toast and after a 15 minute wait when we saw toast being placed on other tables, had to ask again.

On the first night, having driven for much of the day, we ate in the restaurant rather than going further afield. Dinner was again ok, but a price tag of £80 for two without wine seemed steep - the standard was no better than our local Brasserie Blanc.

Overall - because of the staff and location I would recommend the hotel, but suggest exploring outside to eat: even Mermaid Quay offers a wide choice should you not want "fine dinning".

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. Your comments have been taken on board and will be discussed with the team. I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Wales, UK
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Where do I start when writing a review for this hotel. Stayed for one night as I had friends in Cardiff and wanted somewhere close to Cardiff bay. The hotel is so easy to find the the building itself is very impressive. The views from all the rooms are fantastic. I booked and paid online which was quick and easy.
When I arrived at the hotel my car was parked in the car park for me and the lady on reception could not be any more helpful. I was upgraded to a suite on the top floor free of charge and what a room it was. Large living area with a large sofa and 2 balconies. A massive tv and views overlooking the bay. The bathroom was a good size and the bed was comfy. Staff at the hotel could not be more helpful.

All guests have full use of the spa facility but I did not have the time to use this so I cannot comment. The hotel bar is exceptional and open until late. The prices are what you would expect at a 5 star hotel but the drinks (especially cocktails) are of excellent quality.

Overall this is my favorite hotel in the UK. Would reccomend to anybody.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Wow, what a great accolade... Thank you so much on behalf of the team! It is so encouraging to receive such comments and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you back again at St David's where a warm welcome awaits!

reading
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Had a great stay the night before I ran a conference at the hotel. I arrived a bit early to make free use of the spa and enjoyed the lovely pool, fabulous bubble pool and great views of the bay. I liked: the large, pleasant quiet and stylishly furnished rooms. Good coffee making facilities, free mineral water and glossy magazines. Nice bathroom with toiletres, fluffy robes and slippers so you can go down to the spa already changed.
Room service was great - prompt, correct order and the most amazing fresh fruit salad I have had all year. So often these are bland melon infested dishes, but this was creative with a great range.
Conferecing was really good, rooms and facilities are nice, but what really made my conference run smoothly was the attentive and professional Tomas who was on had to ensure everything went really well. He was a real asset to your company. I will ask to go come again! Thank you.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your review. I am delighted your conference was a great success and I am pleased you took the opportunity to take advantage of our other facilities beforehand. Your comments have been passed on to Tomasz and the rest of the team, thank you on their behalf. We look forward to seeing you back again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Just returned from a great weekend at St Davids attending a friends' wedding held at the hotel. From arrival throughout our stay staff were incredibly helpful, and nothing was too much trouble. Wedding was coordinated by the hotel brilliantly, and wedding food (in fact, all of the food we ate at the hotel) was delicious.

In terms of our room this was large, well laid out and immaculately clean. We also had a lovely view across the bay - was really soothing opening the patio doors and hearing the sound of waves in the evening when we arrived! The bed and pillows were large, and incredibly comfortable - had a brilliant nights sleep. Bottle of bubbly promised with booking room directly online with the hotel was also present in the room upon arrival.

Spa and gym were both nice, only slight hitch was the rash I developed from the jacuzzi - a problem I've never had at other spas, and one that I note a few other reviewers in the past have experienced - however, the spa was closed for maintenance after this, and I did not experience the same problem using it the next day.

Overall, would agree that this hotel is more of a 4.5* than 5* hotel, but if we were to stay in Cardiff again, would definitely return to St Davids on account of the great location and comfortable rooms.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with view over the bay
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Thanks so much for your review following your stay for your friend's wedding. I am pleased you enjoyed your experience and your comments have been shared with the team. We hope to see you back again soon.