“Relaxing weekend break” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
London, United Kingdom
“Relaxing weekend break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

Great views from the hotel room across Cardiff Bay. Good rooms, although quite basic. Food was very good, although service and lack of ingredients for breakfast one morning was definitely not 5 star. Great location, within walking distance of some good restaurants and bars. The spa was nice, but, not as good as we were expecting, I think from the hype we expected something a bit more special. Cardiff itself is a great city to visit, with a number of touristy things to do and good shopping.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MJones2011, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 6 October 2012
Thank you for your feedback which will be discussed with our team and we hope you chose to return on a future visit.

Graeme Barclay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (819)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

Like the gentleman on 25/9 that was made to feel invisible at reception, I have to say that never in all the hotels that I've stayed in, have I ever come across more lacklustre, disinterested, faceless reception staff. The only person on this desk with any personality is a lovely girl by the name of Becca.
I have stayed in this hotel several times since 2000 and I have to say that since the Rocco Forte chain pulled out, standards dropped and have never re-attained that 5 star level that this hotel used to offer. I decided after my trip last year that I would not return, but I gave in and returned both this July and this weekend both gone. If I thought the service during my trip in July was poor, well nothing could have prepared me for the shoddy, indifferent, no-star service I received this weekend just gone.
I will be writing to the hotel directly to complain. And whilst people think that small things don't matter, I'm afraid that if you have a constant build up of small things, they can actually ruin what should be a nice relaxed weekend of pampering and indulgence.
I will never cross the threshold of this hotel again.
If you want 5 star service in Cardiff, go to the Hilton. Their staff know how to treat paying customers.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Derval M
MJones2011, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2012
I was disappointed to read your comments and I am sorry to read that certain elements of your stay did not meet your expectations. Please be assured that your comments will be discussed and addressed with my Management team. I believe you are in contact with my Guest Relations Manager who you have been in regular contact over the last couple of years. He advised me that he has emailed you to endeavour to assist you further on the issues that you highlighted in your review. Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding to your comments however we wish to investigate these matters in further detail.

Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

Just got back from an amazing weekend at the St Davids Hotel. They upgraded us upon arrival to a master suite and as it was my husbands birthday this was absolutely fantastic.

Lounge area with dining table was huge and had everything you could need for a weekend away.

Bedroom was equally as big and bed was so comfy that it really was perfect. We were suprised how hot the room was for autumn. The large windows were fantastic as there was an amazing view right across the bay.

Bathroom had everything you could want including a powerful shower.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have amazing view
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback, we are delighted we were able to accommodate your needs and look forward to welcoming you back to St David’s in the future.

south wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

On arriving at the hotel we were quickly welcomed by Jeff the doorman who took care of our luggage and parked our car.Thanks Jeff.On checking in at reception we were informed we had been upgraded free of charge from a junior room to the master suite.Not having stayed here before we didnt know what to expect.We were blown away the room was amazing!We had a lovely sitting area plus a dining area with lovely furnishings.The bedroom was beautiful and the views form the two balconies were amazing!The rooms had everything you could wish for and bathroom well equipped with toiletries etc.Enjoyed some lovely drinks in the Tempus bar and enjoyed talking to Elaine who was very welcoming and helpful.Needless to say the room was so lovely we didnt venture very far!Breakfast was tasty with lots of choice and again we were sat on a corner table with lovely views of the bay.Checkout was quick and efficient although there were a lot of people checking out at the same time.Again the lovely Jeff came to our aid and brought the car to the front of the hotel for us.Thanks for a lovely stay!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
MJones2011, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
Thank you so much for your fabulous review and the score of 5. I am so delighted you enjoyed your stay and your kind words have been passed to Jeff and the team. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to St David's soon.

Stafford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

Had a one night stay at this hotel. Very comfortable room, use of excellent spa facilities and a very hearty, tasty breakfast choice.

The staff were very friendly and helpful.

As one or two others have said, there are a few things that you wouldn't expect at a five star hotel - our room had paintwork rather badly patched up on the wall and a cracked skirting board that needed some attention. There was also an old vacuum cleaner left on the corridor during all of our stay with I assume, the cleaner's name scribbled on it! None of these spoiled anything though and are just minor nit picks.

So overall - brilliant, great location, facilities and staff. Rooms great and comfortable - just a few attention to detail things that need looking at.

Definitely would go back!

Room Tip: Ask for bay facing if you can.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback which is very useful and will be discussed with the team. I am pleased that despite these minor issues you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to St David's in the near future.

Brecon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

Stayed for one night with my wife as a weekday treat. A good corner room but it all felt a bit corporate, nothing wrong just lacked a little passion and sole. Corner rooms offer excellent views over the bay (and into other rooms...)

Room Tip: Higher is better
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with your wife. I have shared your comments with the team and thank you for your feedback in this regard. I am sorry for your disappointment but hope we can welcome you and your wife back to St David's in the not too distant future.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

I stayed here for one night for my birthday weekend. We had tickets to the motorpoint arena and it was the perfect location away from the center and by the beautiful view! We had the spa in the morning overlooking the bay and lovely places to dine for lunch. The staff we all friendly and the room was lovely!!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Sophia J
I am delighted you enjoyed your birthday weekend with us. Many Happy Returns! A warm welcome awaits your next visit!