“Problems perfectly solved”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #16 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We had 2 rooms for one night, on the Thursday before Easter weekend. Sadly both rooms were not up to standard, worn stained carpet, stains on curtains, tear on leather on the desk, bathroom needed further cleaning. We were so disappointed and very upset, and discussed all of these issues with the manager straight away. He went out of his way to rectify the problems. We felt understood and valued as customers. He moved us to two interconnecting suites on the 6th floor. Along with ice cold sparking wine, truffles and strawberries!! This was a fantastic compensation. He assured us that he would be addressing our original issues. On the strength of this, would come back again. Thank you to Manager Eion. Our excellent Consierge was Igor. Lovely break.
It really is a great location and the views are outstanding.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

Thank you for your review and your kind words which have been shared with the team. I am pleased we were able to rectify your issues to your full satisfaction.

We are indeed very proud of the unique location and spectacular views that St David's has to offer and I am delighted that you enjoyed these.

A warm welcome awaits your return.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

We'd stayed at this hotel when it was managed by the previous owners. It is now no longer a 5 Star and is presently trading on it's past reputation. Although the staff are generally pleasant enough, the room we were given on the seventh floor was in need of refurbishment.
Shoddy building works were be carried out at the entrance and our room tv didn't get working until 6pm. Also during breakfast you couldn't help but see the bad state of the poorly repaired outdoor terrace with blown furniture scattered around the deck.
The least said about the breakfast the better. It was very poor, badly presented with low quality ingredients. It was something you'd get a a cheap B&B!

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room if available, west facing and skip eating there, especially breakfast.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Your review is very disappointing and it is a shame that you did not bring these issues to our attention at the time of your stay to give us the opportunity to rectify them. Your comments will be discussed with my management team but in the meantime I apologise for not meeting your expectations on this occasion.

Reviewed 3 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for one night over the Easter weekend on a hotel and dinner package and had a lovely time.

When we arrived there was a sign saying the hotel car park was full, I was aware this could be the case from other reviews on here but the public car park could not be any closer and things like this do not bother us. It's £7 for 24 hours here and cheaper then the hotel.

On arrival the staff were friendly and checked us in quickly, it was 2 ish so we were pleased our room was ready.

We stayed on the top floor (7th) as requested and found the room to be clean and comfortable. Only complaint was it was quite hot. Robes and slippers were in the room so we could head straight down to the spa in them using the spa lift.

We spent a couple of hours at the spa and it wasn't overly busy which was nice. One thing I would say however is there are 8 loungers and no chairs, resulting in lots of towels and robes everywhere and on the floor and nowhere for people to relax if the loungers were taken. Space is limited but I think a few chairs wouldn't hurt.

The changing facilities were clean and there is an endless supply of towels for you to help yourselves to.

We thought the juice bar upstairs was a nice touch and also found the relaxation room on the second day - wicker lounges with pillows and duvets and low lighting, glad we didn't miss this as it was lovely.

As part of our booking we had £30 each to spend on the evening meal at the hotel. We found the staff to be very polite and the service good but we were not fussed on the food. Had we not booked this package we would have ate at one of the many restaurants in Cardiff bay and in future we will do this.

Breakfast the next morning was also a slight disappointment, for a 5 star you expect something a bit different to your typical hotel breakfast but actually it was very average although fresh and did the job.

The continental area was ok but the standard mini pain au raisin or chocolate, no luxuries. The hot buffet was missing several items (fried bread, hash browns, black pudding) and the bacon and sausage was served by a chef who dished out one sausage and two bacon. You can always go up for more but felt it was a bit cheap - why not ask what the person would like?

We spent the day in the spa and I had an hour facial, partner had an hour massage. We both really enjoyed these treatments and I would recommend having one as we felt thoroughly relaxed afterwards.

Overall we had a great time and definitely enjoyed spending the second day here to get the most out of the spa.

I wanted to give a fair review and although I have picked on a couple of things it was overall a very nice hotel. I think having the 5 star rating makes people naturally more critical, had it been a 4 star then I'm sure people's reviews would be much better.

We have also stayed at the Celtic manor hotel but I think the spa at st davids feels more exclusive and the staff are friendlier. Celtic manors spa although bigger was full of children and was a bit chaotic in my opinion.

• Stayed: April 2013
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2013

Thank you for your review. I was glad that you enjoyed your overall stay and I take on board your comments regarding the breakfast which shall be discussed with the Management team in the restaurant and kitchen. In terms of your comments regarding the spa, due to health and saftey reasons we can only place a limited amount of loungers around the pool area. I was glad to read that you enjoyed the overall Spa experience and treatments. Once again I would like to thank you for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Graeme Barclay.

Reviewed 3 April 2013

My partner and I recently stayed at the St David's Hotel and Spa; we had hoped to indulge in the facilities on offer throughout the hotel, including a number of spa treatments. Only to find there were no gaps in the spa to book such luxuries. I had hoped that not being able to check in until 3pm the spa would hold so slots for hotel guests. We used the pool area, which it can only be said at best was grubby.
The actually room was functional but tired. The balcony partition was covered in black mildew and dirty.
It has to be said that the hotel staff were very helpful, only let down by spa and tired rooms.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

I was disappointed to read your comments and I am sorry to read that certain elements of your stay did not meet your expectations. I was however glad to read that you found our staff very helpful. Our spa is very popular with both residents and non-residents therefore it is essential to pre-book slots in advance to avoid disappointment. Please be assured your comments regarding the rooms, baclony and spa will be discussed and addressed with my Management team as a matter of priority.

Reviewed 3 April 2013

Stayed at St David's for three nights across the Easter weekend. Were looking for a luxury break with full spa facilities and we were not disappointed. We received extremely attentive service from the moment we arrived with the Concierge coming out to greet us, take our luggage in and give us a run down of the area. Every request we made across the weekend was dealt with immediately and offers made to deal with restaurant bookings etc by staff. The spa is lovely with tea, coffees, juices, fruit etc on tap. The bedroom was the basic classic kingsize and though a television on an extending arm would have been better than that fixed to the wall the room offered value for money with a comfortable bed and good standard facilities. The view across the bay from the bedroom window was stunning and changed across the day. Would definitely stay here again, planning to bring the children back next time. So much to do in very close proximity, a variety of restaurants of which we ate at three - highly recommend Bayside Brassiere, Mimosa (for breakfasts and cocktails - not together) and Entrecote. Very friendly service from locals at all locations. Big thanks to such welcoming hotel staff especially the concierge services.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with views over the bay - we were on the first floor - still great views but I'm...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your excellent comments. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff attentive and welcoming. Rest assured I will pass your comments to all the team here and we look forward to welcoming you and your family to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 3 April 2013

Chose St davids spa hotel because of its 5 star rating and location ,although location was great I think the hotel is not 5 star .rooms Could have been cleaner and need updating (cracked sink in the bathroom shower hanging off the wall) also phones kept ringing for no apparent reason through the night.spa was nice resteraunt good (a little over priced £9 for a bottle of water).overall not bad but not brilliant.

• Stayed: May 2012

I was disappointed to read your comments and I am sorry to read that certain elements of your stay did not meet your expectations. I hope you were able to inform a member of staff to allow us to rectify your concerns regarding the bathroom and the bedroom phones ringing throughout the night. This is of course very unusual indeed and must have been a glitch with the telephone itself. Please be assured your comments will be discussed and addressed with my Management team.

Reviewed 2 April 2013

Stayed at the St David's in Cardiff over the Easter weekend. Had booked for 3 nights wanted to give you my view of the experience. Arrived and like others before me found the car park full and had to use the public car park, which was just as close but cost £7.00. Tip - ensure that you have a good supply of coins for the pay and display. The second day I did manage to get into the hotel car park but it fills up quickly, so luck seems to play a large part with getting in.

Hotel reception has the wow factor and is close to the marina for cafes, bars and restaurants. Stayed in a Junior Suite on the first night and had a limited view of the water but a good view of the lights over the bay. Asked to change suites for the remainder of the stay and was given a suite on the Taff river side of the hotel with a much better view of the sea. I believe the Junior Suites all are on the edges of the hotel and therefore have views of the car park. Not a deal breaker but had I known this would have booked the full suite, which I hope but don't know, as I didn't see inside one, would be directly facing the water.

The junior suite was clean, modern and comfortable. Loved the full length glass wall. I understand that the hotel is going through a floor by floor refurbishment and I would love to see the results after it has been done. A few minor niggles such as marks on furniture and bulbs not working in cupboards, suggest that it is time for a refurb but whats there at the present is still very good.

Food and drink is what you would expect from a spa hotel, its good, well presented and pricey. As it saved from going out to face the icy winds of Easter, I was happy to eat several time in the restaurant.

Spa and gym. Gym is adequate. I work out everyday would have enjoyed more bars and a weight lifting rack but what the hey, There is enough there for most people. Spa was a pleasure but avoid the children hours.

The best of the experience was to be found in the staff. Everyone was pleasant and helpful. Some who were willing to go that wee bit further to help and which was appreciated really made the experience a pleasure. So Craig, John and Igor thank you all very much.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your review and your much appreciated top score. I am delighted you enjoyed your Easter break with us, despite the cold weather, and your kind words have been shared with the team who love to hear such positive feedback.

We very much look forward to seeing you again soon.