“Fantastic Birthday Stay!”

Ranked #15 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Birthday Stay!”
Reviewed 9 April 2013 via mobile

Three nights in early April started by spotting an iconic building which is the hotel! Finding it was easy and so was the booked car parking. Really helpful desk staff showed us two rooms to choose from. We surprised ourselves by turning down a seventh floor room with a view and a half! Why? Because we chose a first floor room with floor to ceiling glass on two complete sides, stunning!! (Actually never closed the blinds so we drifted off looking at a stunning light show and woke up to similar but with sunrise!) Now have some great photos!
You are in easy walking distance if loads of bars and restaurants alongside both history and modernity. (Including Indian restaurant of the year in Wales and UK runner up!)
Cardiff town centre is a 25 minute walk but you can use bus, taxi or water taxi!
The restaurant is again really well positioned. However, although the fruit and cold selection were great, the cooked breakfast did not live upto 5 star expectations. What we had was fine, but there were errors on both days and a poached egg should be available and so should baked beans if advertised. This meant we ate in other places in the evenings and as we were not business people, I think the hotel missed out and may not link the evening choice of 'no' with the morning. However, this did not diminish our enjoyment.
The spa is superb. The gym is of the highest quality as is the view whilst you suffer!!
Loads to do. All staff were very friendly, cheerful and helpful.
Highly recommend hotel and area in general. We will return!

• Stayed April 2013
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Thank you so much for your review together with your top marks which are much appreciated. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at St David's and everything we have to offer. Your kind words have of course been shared with the team who love to hear such feedback from our guests.

Poached eggs and baked beans are indeed available at breakfast and I apologise if this was not made clear to you.

Thanks again, and a warm welcome awaits your return.

Graeme Barclay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (840)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Lovely hotel - great location - but getting a bit tired.

Arrived and car park was supposedly full - yet there were loads of spaces - car in front of me moved the Bollard to let us in - there were about 15 spaces available.

I noticed later - that the spaces were being kept for Staff!

Welcome was poor - 3 staff chatting at the desk - needed to interrupt them to get served.

General decor was a bit tired - and the atrium at the centre of the hotel reminded me of my office!

Bar and restaurant were very nice - service was impeccable - and prices were reasonable.

Access to spa was via a lift - or a 'fire staircase' - watch you don't trip over the broken swimming pool steps at the bottom?

Spa staff were EXCELLENT- free tea/coffee/juice available all day.

Treatment and relaxation rooms were lovely.

Light meals available on first floor (watch out for those broken stairs again). Only one server with too much work - so dirty plates/cups etc made if feel a bit like a poorly run cafe.

Good gym - nice pool and Jacuzzis (pool area could do with a deep clean - and they need to sort out the rusty vents).

Huge sauna - but second door has been blocked off - so a bit tight to get in and out.

Changing rooms clean - loads of lockers - and new towels freely available.

All in all - nice hotel - could do with a refresh.......

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing mermaid quay or penarth - but- not the oil storage tanks.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your detailed review, the contents of which have been noted and will be discussed with the team. I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay but apologise for any shortcomings you may have experienced.

Car parking is subject to availability however we are lucky enough to have the NCP car park immediately adjacent to ours with over 200 spaces. I can confirm that car park spaces are not kept for staff.

The steps to the swimming pool were temporarily stored under the fire staircase at the time of your visit awaiting repair however it would have been impossible to trip over these. The dedicated bedroom lift will take you into the Spa and also the main entrance at the front of the building.

I'm pleased you enjoyed the spa treatment and relaxation rooms and your kind comments regarding the staff have been passed on. The blocked door to which you refer in the sauna is in fact a viewing pane and not a door.

As the hotel is surrounded by water and the nature reserve, all of our rooms at St David's either face the barrage and out to sea, or Mermaid Quay. As we are on the quay of a capital city, the panoramic views sometimes house some city skyline but this indeed would not be the main focus of your view.

Thanks again for your review and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

South Wales
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Getting a last minute booking for Sunday lunch was not as fortunate as I thought.
A practically empty dining room gave another clue.
From the staff refusing my 18 year old son an alcoholic drink with the meal to hot and cold puddings being served 20 minutes apart, I will not make another booking there. We'll spend our money somewhere more welcoming.

• Stayed February 2013
I was very disappointed to read your review and apologise for the unacceptable level of service you received. I do hope you brought these issues to the attention of a Manager at the time but in the meantime I am happy to investigate these issues further should you wish to contact me directly. Once again my apologies.

somerset uk
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We had 2 rooms for one night, on the Thursday before Easter weekend. Sadly both rooms were not up to standard, worn stained carpet, stains on curtains, tear on leather on the desk, bathroom needed further cleaning. We were so disappointed and very upset, and discussed all of these issues with the manager straight away. He went out of his way to rectify the problems. We felt understood and valued as customers. He moved us to two interconnecting suites on the 6th floor. Along with ice cold sparking wine, truffles and strawberries!! This was a fantastic compensation. He assured us that he would be addressing our original issues. On the strength of this, would come back again. Thank you to Manager Eion. Our excellent Consierge was Igor. Lovely break.
It really is a great location and the views are outstanding.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your review and your kind words which have been shared with the team. I am pleased we were able to rectify your issues to your full satisfaction.

We are indeed very proud of the unique location and spectacular views that St David's has to offer and I am delighted that you enjoyed these.

A warm welcome awaits your return.

Swansea
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We'd stayed at this hotel when it was managed by the previous owners. It is now no longer a 5 Star and is presently trading on it's past reputation. Although the staff are generally pleasant enough, the room we were given on the seventh floor was in need of refurbishment.
Shoddy building works were be carried out at the entrance and our room tv didn't get working until 6pm. Also during breakfast you couldn't help but see the bad state of the poorly repaired outdoor terrace with blown furniture scattered around the deck.
The least said about the breakfast the better. It was very poor, badly presented with low quality ingredients. It was something you'd get a a cheap B&B!

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room if available, west facing and skip eating there, especially breakfast.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Your review is very disappointing and it is a shame that you did not bring these issues to our attention at the time of your stay to give us the opportunity to rectify them. Your comments will be discussed with my management team but in the meantime I apologise for not meeting your expectations on this occasion.

UK
Reviewed 3 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for one night over the Easter weekend on a hotel and dinner package and had a lovely time.

When we arrived there was a sign saying the hotel car park was full, I was aware this could be the case from other reviews on here but the public car park could not be any closer and things like this do not bother us. It's £7 for 24 hours here and cheaper then the hotel.

On arrival the staff were friendly and checked us in quickly, it was 2 ish so we were pleased our room was ready.

We stayed on the top floor (7th) as requested and found the room to be clean and comfortable. Only complaint was it was quite hot. Robes and slippers were in the room so we could head straight down to the spa in them using the spa lift.

We spent a couple of hours at the spa and it wasn't overly busy which was nice. One thing I would say however is there are 8 loungers and no chairs, resulting in lots of towels and robes everywhere and on the floor and nowhere for people to relax if the loungers were taken. Space is limited but I think a few chairs wouldn't hurt.

The changing facilities were clean and there is an endless supply of towels for you to help yourselves to.

We thought the juice bar upstairs was a nice touch and also found the relaxation room on the second day - wicker lounges with pillows and duvets and low lighting, glad we didn't miss this as it was lovely.

As part of our booking we had £30 each to spend on the evening meal at the hotel. We found the staff to be very polite and the service good but we were not fussed on the food. Had we not booked this package we would have ate at one of the many restaurants in Cardiff bay and in future we will do this.

Breakfast the next morning was also a slight disappointment, for a 5 star you expect something a bit different to your typical hotel breakfast but actually it was very average although fresh and did the job.

The continental area was ok but the standard mini pain au raisin or chocolate, no luxuries. The hot buffet was missing several items (fried bread, hash browns, black pudding) and the bacon and sausage was served by a chef who dished out one sausage and two bacon. You can always go up for more but felt it was a bit cheap - why not ask what the person would like?

We spent the day in the spa and I had an hour facial, partner had an hour massage. We both really enjoyed these treatments and I would recommend having one as we felt thoroughly relaxed afterwards.

Overall we had a great time and definitely enjoyed spending the second day here to get the most out of the spa.

I wanted to give a fair review and although I have picked on a couple of things it was overall a very nice hotel. I think having the 5 star rating makes people naturally more critical, had it been a 4 star then I'm sure people's reviews would be much better.

We have also stayed at the Celtic manor hotel but I think the spa at st davids feels more exclusive and the staff are friendlier. Celtic manors spa although bigger was full of children and was a bit chaotic in my opinion.

• Stayed April 2013
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2013
Thank you for your review. I was glad that you enjoyed your overall stay and I take on board your comments regarding the breakfast which shall be discussed with the Management team in the restaurant and kitchen. In terms of your comments regarding the spa, due to health and saftey reasons we can only place a limited amount of loungers around the pool area. I was glad to read that you enjoyed the overall Spa experience and treatments. Once again I would like to thank you for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind regards,

Graeme Barclay.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2013

My partner and I recently stayed at the St David's Hotel and Spa; we had hoped to indulge in the facilities on offer throughout the hotel, including a number of spa treatments. Only to find there were no gaps in the spa to book such luxuries. I had hoped that not being able to check in until 3pm the spa would hold so slots for hotel guests. We used the pool area, which it can only be said at best was grubby.
The actually room was functional but tired. The balcony partition was covered in black mildew and dirty.
It has to be said that the hotel staff were very helpful, only let down by spa and tired rooms.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
I was disappointed to read your comments and I am sorry to read that certain elements of your stay did not meet your expectations. I was however glad to read that you found our staff very helpful. Our spa is very popular with both residents and non-residents therefore it is essential to pre-book slots in advance to avoid disappointment. Please be assured your comments regarding the rooms, baclony and spa will be discussed and addressed with my Management team as a matter of priority.

Kind regards,