“Our favorite hotel in Cardiff; 4 years in a row!”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #16 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I've been staying in this hotel every summer for 5 years in a row, except for one summer where the hotel was fully booked. The hotel is excellent overall, and it felt strange not staying there for that one year in the middle. I have already booked for my stay this summer and I can't wait.

The hotel is just a 5-10 minute walk to Mermaid Quay and the surrounding area. The rooms are very well designed and comfortable. They are quite luxurious, and they feel classic and cozy yet fresh and modern. I like the closets/cupboards because they are spacious and lit, and the floor-to-ceiling windows that make up an entire wall of the room are very pleasant. They let lots of natural light in! The rooms do not have a small refrigerator, but if you require one, the staff will get you one. We usually inform the hotel beforehand.

The view, in my opinion, is what makes the entire hotel. We always get the rooms on the left side of the hotel's entrance, and they look up to Cardiff Bay, Mermaid Quay and the Millennium Center. It is ideal and there is always something nice to look at any time of the day, specially with the activity in the bay.

The breakfast is at a restaurant (Tempus at Tides) that is also combined with a bar/lounge. It has good food, featuring a variety of cereals, pastries and fruits as well as hot breakfast dishes. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The restaurant does get busy on weekends for breakfast (depending on the time you visit) but it wasn't an issue as it is very expected at such a hotel.
The spa area is very cool. I have not tried any of their treatments and have not visited the gym, but the pool area is really great. It has a very large jacuzzi with salt water, and a another pool with a little passage that leads you to some water shower-jets to sit/stand underneath. There used to be a room with massage chairs which I thought was a brilliant idea, but unfortunately it has been changed to a relaxing room and the massage chairs no longer exist. The room, which also happens to be right next to the spa treatment rooms, is still very nice and quiet to be in.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody who's visiting Cardiff. The location is ideal and although it's not very close to the city center, it is very close to Mermaid Quay which has very good restaurants. It may not be an ideal place for businessmen, but downtown Cardiff is just a short ride away and a healthy walk close.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank TravelSoul96
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2013

Thank you for your excellent comments. I am glad to you enjoyed your stay and also that you continue to enjoy your stay each year that you stay with us. We appreciate your continued loyalty to the St Davids hotel and very much look forward to welcoming you back during the summer.

Graeme Barclay

Write a ReviewReviews (3,986)

Reviewed 10 April 2013

Stayed here on the 9th april for one night to celebrate the wifes birthday very impressed with the service provided for start they let me have a room way earlier than supposed to have so that i could set up the room with balloons ect. Stayed on the first floor 101 corner room floor to ceiling windows both sides view not jaw droping but who sits by the window all day !!! all front of house staff very friendly and polite. As we had breakfast inc in the price so we opted to have this in our room i only had one critic about this and thats the tomato ketchup it seemed to have a skin on top where it had possibly been left out in the air to long but thats just being picky overall selection of items we could not fault. We did have a small fault with the iron as it was leaking water from the power cable where it attaches to the iron this was sorted without delay by house keeping. The room itself was ample in size great bed and pillows bathroom did the job i do agree with some comments on here the bathroom does need a bit of TLC. It's a mustt to have visit to the spa had a very relaxing hour here after we had checked out if had the same price we would very much stay again so thanks to all the staff and look forward to staying again someday and to all that read this give this place a go you won't regret it

2  Thank craig g

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to read how impressed you were with the individual and friendly service you received during your stay. I am glad to read that your issue with the iron was rectified immediately and I can advise that certain areas of the hotel are earmarked for refurbishment. We look forward to welcoming you back the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 10 April 2013

I booked a couple of nights on the 6th April for my wife's Birthday. We drove from Birmingham and the sat nav's post code brought us straight to the Hotel. Upon arriving the car park had a 'car park full' board so we parked in the pay and display next door, which was £7 for 24 hours. There was a wedding reception and I think that is why the car park was full. However, on the second day we did park in the hotel car park, which cost £10 for 24 hours. Although, the car park looks closed, once you edge towards the barrier it automatically falls down to let you pass. When we entered the hotel, it gave us a wow moment as it is very impressive, especially when you look up; sort of had a cruise ship feel to the design.
We were met by Eva who was friendly and welcoming. I had requested a room on the higher floor but none were available and we were given a room on the 2nd floor. The room itself was a Classic double and was amazing. Very large and spacious, balconies and floor to ceiling windows, with a view looking out to the Bay. In saying that I did not want to be on a lower floor and so I went to reception and spoke to Eva. In the end we could have had a smaller room on the 7th floor but took a room on the 4th floor as my wife had loved the room on the 2nd floor. We were also offered a Junior suite on the 6th floor for an additional £50 per night (which Eva also showed me) and I was contemplating it for the second night but in the end we were settled in our room so decided against it.
On both days we used the hotel's swimming pool and spa facilities. The facilities can be used from 7am to 10pm and we went quite late in the day and on both days it was very quite; the jacuzzi was great and the swimming pool very clean. There is a separate lift to go to the Spa area at the end of each floor. We were given robes and slippers in our bedroom.
A few minutes walk took us to Mermaid Quay, which had your standard chain restaurants and a few others, one being the Bosphurus Restaurant (see review) where we ate on Sunday evening. Past the Mermaid Quay was the Red Dragon Centre, where we ate on Saturday evening at Grill n Shake (see review) and here were a few restaurants, Odeon Cinema, Bowling etc.
In Mermaid Quay we caught a £3 per person single way boat ride to the city centre, which dropped us off by the Cardiff Castle. We caught a bus back to Cardiff Bay for £1.70 each and the bus stop was outside the Hilton Hotel around the corner from the main entrance of the Castle.
In conclusion, I managed to get a 2 night stay at this brilliant hotel for £199 and for a similar price, we would definitely stay again, may be in the summer months.

Room Tip: If travelling by car, use car park next to hotels car park, which is cheaper at £7 for 24 hours
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your excellent feedback. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your overall stay and in particular the hospitality that was shown to you upon arrival and indeed throughout your stay. We very much hope to welcome you back the St David's Hotel and Spa in the near future.

Reviewed 10 April 2013

Stayed herecforvtwo nights on a 48 hour conference with work. The staff could not do enough for us, they were always attentive to our needs and flexible when we asked for changes to our programme. If you have used other hotels in this chain you will be very impressed with how much better this one is than others in the group.

The lunch buffet was outstanding and evening meals were of an equal standard. The view from the dining room across the bay almost makes you think you are in the Med!

While I was here for work I would return here again if I was visiting Cardiff again.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2013

Thank you for your excellent feedback. I was delighted to read that our staff couldn't do enough for you and that they were attentive and flexible. I am pleased that you enjoyed the food we offer here at the St Davids Hotel and that you liked the unique views of Cardiff bay. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Graeme Barclay.

Reviewed 10 April 2013

I booked a deluxe king size room for my 1st wedding anniversary, however I only had a classic king size room. I put comments in my booking "please make the room as romantic as possible" nothing was done. The room was very minimalistic no fridge, hardly any furniture, there was just to much empty space with a very warn carpet. There was a wonderful view from the balcony but the flooring was all warn and paint flaking off it, there was also a health and safety warning that no tables and chairs could be out on balcony. The room just gave me a feeling of business only rather than a romantic feel and for over a hundred pounds for one night I was very let down. The facilities were also poor. The toilet facilities by reception were very warn, the first cubical the flush did not work and was hanging off the wall with a chunk of concrete missing, the next cubical the door was broken. The hotel had a three star feel rather than a 5 star luxury, I was very disappointed and I wanted the night to be memorable because of our first anniversary. I will not be going back, because the hotel is in cardiff bay and the view is good should not make this hotel 5 star. It needs a lot of money being spent on it to bring it up to speed.

Room Tip: The only thing I can say is that the best rooms are probably the most expensive.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

I was disappointed to read your comments and I am sorry to read that certain elements of your stay did not meet your expectations. If you wish to discuss your points in further detail I wold welcome the opportunity to speak to you regarding your concerns. Please be assured that your comments will be discussed and addressed with my Management team as a matter of urgency.

Reviewed 9 April 2013 via mobile

Three nights in early April started by spotting an iconic building which is the hotel! Finding it was easy and so was the booked car parking. Really helpful desk staff showed us two rooms to choose from. We surprised ourselves by turning down a seventh floor room with a view and a half! Why? Because we chose a first floor room with floor to ceiling glass on two complete sides, stunning!! (Actually never closed the blinds so we drifted off looking at a stunning light show and woke up to similar but with sunrise!) Now have some great photos!
You are in easy walking distance if loads of bars and restaurants alongside both history and modernity. (Including Indian restaurant of the year in Wales and UK runner up!)
Cardiff town centre is a 25 minute walk but you can use bus, taxi or water taxi!
The restaurant is again really well positioned. However, although the fruit and cold selection were great, the cooked breakfast did not live upto 5 star expectations. What we had was fine, but there were errors on both days and a poached egg should be available and so should baked beans if advertised. This meant we ate in other places in the evenings and as we were not business people, I think the hotel missed out and may not link the evening choice of 'no' with the morning. However, this did not diminish our enjoyment.
The spa is superb. The gym is of the highest quality as is the view whilst you suffer!!
Loads to do. All staff were very friendly, cheerful and helpful.
Highly recommend hotel and area in general. We will return!

• Stayed: April 2013
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

Thank you so much for your review together with your top marks which are much appreciated. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at St David's and everything we have to offer. Your kind words have of course been shared with the team who love to hear such feedback from our guests.

Poached eggs and baked beans are indeed available at breakfast and I apologise if this was not made clear to you.

Thanks again, and a warm welcome awaits your return.

Kind regards.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Lovely hotel - great location - but getting a bit tired.

Arrived and car park was supposedly full - yet there were loads of spaces - car in front of me moved the Bollard to let us in - there were about 15 spaces available.

I noticed later - that the spaces were being kept for Staff!

Welcome was poor - 3 staff chatting at the desk - needed to interrupt them to get served.

General decor was a bit tired - and the atrium at the centre of the hotel reminded me of my office!

Bar and restaurant were very nice - service was impeccable - and prices were reasonable.

Access to spa was via a lift - or a 'fire staircase' - watch you don't trip over the broken swimming pool steps at the bottom?

Spa staff were EXCELLENT- free tea/coffee/juice available all day.

Treatment and relaxation rooms were lovely.

Light meals available on first floor (watch out for those broken stairs again). Only one server with too much work - so dirty plates/cups etc made if feel a bit like a poorly run cafe.

Good gym - nice pool and Jacuzzis (pool area could do with a deep clean - and they need to sort out the rusty vents).

Huge sauna - but second door has been blocked off - so a bit tight to get in and out.

Changing rooms clean - loads of lockers - and new towels freely available.

All in all - nice hotel - could do with a refresh.......

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing mermaid quay or penarth - but- not the oil storage tanks.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your detailed review, the contents of which have been noted and will be discussed with the team. I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay but apologise for any shortcomings you may have experienced.

Car parking is subject to availability however we are lucky enough to have the NCP car park immediately adjacent to ours with over 200 spaces. I can confirm that car park spaces are not kept for staff.

The steps to the swimming pool were temporarily stored under the fire staircase at the time of your visit awaiting repair however it would have been impossible to trip over these. The dedicated bedroom lift will take you into the Spa and also the main entrance at the front of the building.

I'm pleased you enjoyed the spa treatment and relaxation rooms and your kind comments regarding the staff have been passed on. The blocked door to which you refer in the sauna is in fact a viewing pane and not a door.

As the hotel is surrounded by water and the nature reserve, all of our rooms at St David's either face the barrage and out to sea, or Mermaid Quay. As we are on the quay of a capital city, the panoramic views sometimes house some city skyline but this indeed would not be the main focus of your view.

Thanks again for your review and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Kind regards.