“great stay again”

Ranked #15 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Swansea, United Kingdom
“great stay again”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

we stayed here last friday for a break , second visit , and must say the hotel was faultless and clean , food brilliant and staff very frendly .........
we have booked again for December great location .......
A must hotel .........

Room Tip: all rooms are great
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Thank you for your review and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to your return in December.

Andreas Maszczyk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (849)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here twice now and loved it both times- a very peaceful hotel 5 min walk from Mermaid Quay and lovely views. The swimming pool & hot tubs are very relaxing. Overall a great place to stay with everything you could want from a good hotel and excellent service.

• Stayed September 2013
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Thank you for your review and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Please come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Very disappointed toilet not
Clean shower head not clean spa needs a face lift complained to buty manager she agreed with every thing we said . Cancelled a room in
October won't stay in this hotel again ..... very poor

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for your review and my apologies for your disappointment. My Duty Manager has discussed your concerns upon check out with me and is investigating any issues as promised. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to St David's in the future so that you may experience our usual high standards.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Very nice place to stay but no where near 5 star. Stayed in premier inn in London that was nicer. Not worth the money. Fantastic location and beautiful views. Nice spa, best to visit late evening. Was very relaxing and peaceful.
I will definitely visit again but only if u find a cheap deal. Was not worth the £280 I paid for a master suite.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for your review and I am pleased you enjoyed the fantastic location and spectacular views St David's has to offer. I am also pleased you enjoyed the relaxing and peaceful atmosphere in our Marine Spa.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Cardiff
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We have just had our wedding reception at St David's after getting married abroad we decided to hold our reception here in Cardiff.
The food and service was outstanding! Every little detail is taken care of and they really do make you feel as if it's just your wedding they are concerned about even though I'm sure they have many weddings!
A special mention to Laura the wedding coordinator who really does work with you at every level covering all aspects to make your day perfect! Nothing was too much trouble, even the copious amounts of emails I sent with so many questions and she even managed to make sure every question and email was answered straight away!
Also a special mention to Jacob who managed the evening and he even sent for a pillow for my chair as my dress was so large I couldn't rest my back properly - again, nothing was too much trouble. Jacob also took us through every inch of the evening, checking with us on every detail to make sure it went all to plan.. He even dimmed the lights and put up the volume on our piano on request.
Thank you all for a great experience! The rooms are really lovely with great water views! We were given suite 616 and it was spectacular - wish we could have enjoyed the views and room more but wedding preparations took over.
Thank you for a magical reception!

Room Tip: Room 616 is outstanding!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
I am absolutely thrilled you carry forward such fond memories of your wedding reception here at St David's. Your kind words have of course been shared with the team, particularly Laura and Jacob who are extremely grateful for your kind gratitude.

May I take this opportunity to wish you both our very best wishes for your future happiness and please, come and see us again soon.

Pontypridd, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I booked for 11 people to have afternoon tea to celebrate my birthday. I then rang to increase the booking to 12 and to request that 1 person would like their sandwiches without mayonnaise. When we arrived there were only 11 places and we had to ask for the 'special' order which had obviously not been prepared. When the sandwiches and cakes were brought out half the table were served and the rest had to sit and wait. The sandwiches were dry and beginning to curl around the edges, there was a piece of something (not sure what - but there was cheese on it) which could have been used as a hockey puck it was so hard. The cakes were ok!! The staff were very pleasant but the whole experience was far from 5 star. I would not recommend this hotel for afternoon tea, on the plus side the location was excellent and we had a lovely afternoon in the Bay.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank DiandRob

I am so sorry that your expectations were not met regarding your afternoon tea. Your comments will be shared.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I booked a stay in an Executive King Room for my birthday choosing the St David's hotel over other more affordable hotels in Cardiff because it claimed to have 5 stars. This hotel is definitely not a five star hotel, it may just pass for a four star.

First the good points - large fluffy white towels, a nice spa, views over Cardiff Bay.

However the negative outweigh the positive in my experience - I drove up to the hotel which has double yellow lines in the area near the reception, meaning you have to drive into a car park and struggle back to reception with luggage and bags. There was a member of staff on duty but he did not offer to help or point me to reception although he was not doing anything else at all.

I checked in, and again no one offered to help me to my room. When I got to the room, although the website said that a stay in an executive king room included upgraded toiletries and a tray of sweet and savoury snacks there was nothing in the room except some rather ordinary toiletries and the usual tray with tea and coffee on it. I rang down and the items were brought to the room, but this seemed an oversight in a hotel that was supposedly 5 star.

The room itself was tired, and the carpet was very stained. The TV was standard, quite small, with a limited number of free view channels but no channel guide available or guest menu telling you what was available in the hotel. Wireless internet was available but very slow, and you had to sign into with a name, address, email etc every 30 minutes as it kicked you out every 30 minutes. It was possible to pay to have a better internet service, but this approach seemed unnecessarily cheapskate in a hotel of this size and supposed standard, when a good internet connection is not expensive to offer free. There was a balcony overlooking the sea however there were no chairs or tables on it so you had to stand or struggle to drag one of the chairs from the room onto it.

Breakfast was also shoddy - the waitress brought margarine to the table and when I asked for butter instead she said there had been no delivery of butter so they had none at all in the hotel - for goodness sake there are several 24 hour mini supermarkets within 5 minutes walk and while they might have been experiencing problems with delivery it would not have taken much to get some butter brought in. Just shoddy in my experience. Breakfast was also self service, with no options to order boiled or poached eggs instead of the congealed fried eggs or watery scrambled eggs that were available in the heated trays. No one offered to refresh the tea or coffee while we were there, the toast that was brought to the table appeared to be made from the cheapest wonderloaf available, and nothing seemed to be of a very high quality. Again a four star experience in a supposedly five star hotel. If I have to stay in a hotel in Cardiff again, for the prices this one charges I will pick one of the other four star hotels in the city which were about half the price of this one. A big disappointment on my birthday.

Room Tip: Don't bother paying extra for an executive room, there is no difference between that and the sta...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and on the positive side I am pleased you enjoyed the Marine Spa and great views on offer at St David's.

Your further comments are quite disappointing, particularly as a leather-bound Guest Directory with full hotel information is available in every bedroom. Additionally, a full A La Carte menu is also available at breakfast in addition to the full Welsh breakfast on offer.

I will discuss all your points with my management team but in the meantime, I do hope you brought such issues to the attention of the Duty Manager at the time to enable him/her to rectify any issues immediately.

Once again thank you for your feedback.