Spent one night at the St David's on business.
The hotel enjoys a good location, overlooking Cardiff Bay. It is near restaurants and bars and is therefore well located for leisure, although rather far from the city centre.
The entrance hall was vast and towering, with an atrium going up several floors. My check-in was pleasant and the receptionist was efficient and welcoming.
I was rather disappointed in my room, which was on the fourth floor. It was reasonably large, but rather sparsely furnished. There were no decorations whatever on the walls and the whole feeling was stark and rather unappealing. Disappointingly, there were two single beds. There was a flat screen television, with a wide choice of channels. Pleasingly, there was also a trouser press.
The bathroom was rather disappointing. It had a wide range of toiletries, but was not very big and not particularly luxurious.
I had a very poor night's sleep. The room was equipped with air conditioning, but clearly the system had not been turned on so as to expel cool air. It whirred away all night, but the room nevertheless became increasingly hot, and as a consequence I slept badly.
I ate in the restaurant, which was attached to the bar. On the night in question, there was a live singer, but, to be frank, he was not particularly good, rather noisy, and detracted from the evening rather than enhanced it. The meal itself was good and there was a reasonable and fairly-priced wine list.
Breakfast the following day was very good indeed.
This is quite a good hotel and I do not believe that any traveller could go wrong by staying there. However, it lacked personality and I would not rush to return. To sum up: it was ok, but not outstanding and the lack of air conditioning was a major fault.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The St. David's Hotel is situated on the waterfront of Cardiff Bay. Dynamic and contemporary in style, the hotel incorporates an impressive floor-to-ceiling, glass-backed atrium that provides a vision of space and natural light. All bedrooms have private balconies and waterfront views. Just five minutes from the centre of Cardiff, St David's Hotel is adjacent to Mermaid Quay with a wide range of entertainment including The Wales Millennium Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your The St. David's Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. David`s Hotel Cardiff
- St Davids Hotel Cardiff
- Cardiff St Davids Hotel
- St Davids Cardiff
- The St. David's Hotel Cardiff, Wales