“Great hotel and good location.”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #16 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Penzance, United Kingdom
“Great hotel and good location.”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Stayed here now on a few occasions and the place is fantastic. Hotel and facilities are great, used the pool etc. which is also superb. Ideal location for exploring the bay and not too far from the city centre.
Got a little loud one evening when their we a couple of weddings on (the sound from reception can echo up through the hotel) but I wouldn’t hold that against them.
Will use again and recommend.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Thank you so much for your review. I am delighted overall you have enjoyed your stay here at St. David's Hotel & Spa once again.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Andreas Maszczyk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (831)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

Managed to get a really good deal for a Monday night stay. Our room was 514 with beautiful views. The room was clean, comfortable and perfect for our visit.

We checked in at 1500, and decided to add breakfast onto our stay for £12 each. We used the spa practically straight away and it was really quiet in there. Nice poolside area, and jacuzzi facilities. The hotel provides towelling dressing gowns and spa slippers in the room, and free use of towels in the spa itself. You will need a pound for the lockers, but we just took our things to the pool and used one of their beds to put our gowns on while we used the spa.

We used the car park adjacent to the hotel for £7 per 24 hours instead of £10 that St Davids charges for their car park.

The hotel is located in an ideal location to access the restaurants and bars in Cardiff Bay, just a short walk away.

The breakfast was lovely, a choice of juices, cereal, yoghurt and pastries that you can help yourself to and a decent cooked breakfast too.

All the staff, from checking in, visiting the spa, visiting the restaurant and checking out, we smart, polite and a real asset to St Davids.

The only downside for me is the check in and out times. An extra hour either side would be an added bonus to a perfect romantic break.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review of St. David's Hotel & Spa. I am delighted you thoroughly enjoyed your romantic break. And you had the chance to use the facilities here at St. David's. I will share your comments with my team on how smart and polite everybody was.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We have just returned from a weekend at the St Davids - Our 4th stay at this fantastic hotel!
This time we stayed with our 2 children age 3 and 6. We have stayed at this hotel as both a couple and a family in the past and really cannot rate this hotel highly enough. The location is brilliant for exploring the bay and the city of Cardiff. All of the rooms are excellent and have views out over the bay - this time we were lucky enough to have a suite room and would recommend an upgrade to one of these if you can it is worth the extra! Everything from the cleanliness, to the food, to the staff are first class - we will be back for a 5th visit!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your review. I am delighted overall you enjoyed your stay here at St. David's for the forth time. Your comments will be noted and shared with the team.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back very soon .

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

I recently booked the st david spa groupon deal as a surprise for my partner (which is very good by the way) who then surprised me with a two night stay there so we could enjoy our spa day!
The view from our room was gorgeous but it was very hot when we entered it in October! I am a freezer myself so found the room ok but when it came to actually sleeping in the room it was unbearable for me!!! We went down to reception to explain that we set the heating as low as possible ,10 degrees and still no cold air was coming out! The receptionist seemed very surprised by this and said she will get her maintenance man to sort it whilst we went out shopping for the day. We came back in the afternoon to find our room was still boiling with no cold air coming out! I again went down to reception to ask if the air conditioning had been sorted she said it had but i insisted on meeting the maintenance man at our room!turns out there is no air conditioning really! He said the hotel works by the temperature outside and then it's set for all the rooms which in my opinion is a joke seeing as every body is different and even more so the prices the st David's charge ,the air conditioning system should work in everyone's room!
Needless to say I had 2 really bad nights sleep due to the hot temperature in our room(bearing in mind I'm a freezer!) seeing as I was awake most of the second night I decided to trip advisor the st David's hotel only to see comments that the air conditioning doesn't work here!!!
We then checked out the following day ,i was asked by the same lady I Dealt with the day before how we enjoyed our stay , I couldn't help myself from asking why she didn't tell me the air conditioning doesn't actually work properly when there are many comments on trip advisor about this issue ,why I couldn't have been told the truth from the start baffles me! Only to be told that we used their parking for two nights we then had to pay an additional charge of £20!
So to stay at the st David's you have to pay for your room, THEN breakfast £18.50 EACH(which i was unable to order the welsh breakfast as they had 'run out' and it didn't help that the staff didn't understand English very well even though they were very polite! And THEN also parking!!! At the prices they charge its an absolute insult!
The st David's is situated in a fab location but the prices they charge I feel are un fair and unjustified! My partner and our friends venture up to Cardiff on a regular basis and after our experience we will never return or recommend it to anyone!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cara h
I was disappointed to read your comments and I am sorry to read that certain elements of your stay did not meet your expectations. Please be assured your comments will be discussed and addressed with my Management team as a matter of priority and I would welcome a call from you if you wish to discuss matters further.

Kind regards,

Cardiff
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Brilliant stay in the St Davids. First time for me. Staff without exception were polite and helpful, really appearing to want to please. Perhaps, sometimes, trying a bit too hard? Especially in the restaurant, though the dinner we had there was one of the finest meals I've had for a very long time.

Hotel is a bit older than I had thought, and is showing some signs of getting a little tired; the oppressive heat throughout the whole hotel was a little wearing. (We spent nights with our bedroom balcony door pinned open). It seemed to me that the air conditioning in our room (314) was barely functioning.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Thank you so much for your review. I am delighted overall with your stay here at The St. David's Hotel & Spa. I am pleased that you enjoyed one of your finest meals here at Tempus @ Tides. I will have our maintenance department have a look at the air conditioning unit in the room you stayed in.

newport
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We stayed here for one night recently whilst seeing Mickey Flanagan at the motor point ( who was brilliant by the way!) The hotel is in a great location overlooking Cardiff bay, we had a deluxe twin on the top floor which was lovely, very spacious with fantastic views. The pool and spa area is really nice. Breakfast was very good and the staff were helpful. We were lucky enough to have a friend who works here so had a good room rate, overall a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Go top floor, it's the best!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review. I am pleased overall you enjoyed your stay here at St. David's and you got to enjoy the suburb views we have to offer. We look forward to your return.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

Having stayed in the Hilton, Marriott and the Park Plaza, the st David's hotel is hands down the finest hotel Cardiff has to offer. The reception staff are very friendly and allowed us to choose if we would like a high floored or low floored room and allowed us an early check in as I was not feeling well. The room was stunning, very clean and modern with fantastic views over Cardiff bay.
We then headed down to the spa,which is the nicest spa I have ever been to. The facilities include a large hot tub with water beds and a sit down jacuzzi. I treated myself to a full body massage, the staff are very professional and the surroundings are luxurious.
In the evening we went to the hotel bar, the drinks menu is impressive although quite expensive. There was a fantastic singer in the background which really added to the atmosphere.
Beds were very comfortable and there was no disturbances.
The rooms are expensive but definitely worth it. If I had to be really picky the only disappointment was having to pay for car parking.
Highly recommended!!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review. I am delighted you chose to stay with us at St. David's Hotel & Spa. I am pleased you enjoyed the Marine Spa facilities. I will pass on your kind comments to my team. We look forward to your return in the future.