“Excellent New Years Eve”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #15 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed at St Davids for New Years Eve and attended their gala ball. We enjoyed ourselves. The food was very good and very good service. Will stay here again. The only thing was that at 9.30 we were told that they had ran out of champagne! On New Years Eve! Anyway after my partner had discussed this issue with management they found some more thankfully! We feel the bar staff needed to be better equipped and better trained. Apart from that we had a very good evening.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RAC42
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

I am delighted you enjoyed our New Years Eve Gala Ball here at The St David's Hotel & Spa, and particularly the food and the service. I understand that one particular brand of Champagne ran out during the evening however I am pleased that an alternative was quickly offered.

We hope to see you again soon.

Andreas Maszczyk

Write a ReviewReviews (3,951)

Reviewed 5 January 2014

we arrived for a spa day today staff were very nice .we entered pool looks a bit tired now dated pool water cold needs to be warmer in january ,spa area very nice .we both had a massage it was ok i thought .not a wonderful expierience just ok .normally massage feels nicer .first time here !! celtic manor and brynmeadows were excellent .fet it was a better expierience and would rather her not knock door so loudly as she asked me to keep laid down at end she would get me some water she entered with water saying oh you are still laying down !! she said she would wait outside i got up drank some water and put my bikini top on .she knocked and entered before i put robe on and said oh !! been to many many spa days nice enough but felt she was a bit inexpierienced as didnt feel normal benefits of massage she said are you ok i said yes

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your spa day with us. Your comments have been noted and will be discussed with my team.

In the meantime we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here over the Christmas period and what a lovely stay I might say it was. A lovely welcoming by the reception staff especially charlotte who checked us in, we were upgraded complimentary as it was my birthday and charlotte organised a lovely surprise of fizz and fruit in my room. The room itself was on the 5th floor and what fabulous views (glad we were able to take advantage of the balcony) we didn't dine in the restaurant as we were meeting friends but we did manage to use the spa facilities .. Chantelle on the desk was happy to show us everything we needed to know and gave us robes and slippers- what a relaxing afternoon! Breakfast was a slight let down as there was a queue however the food was lovely and the staff were trying! Overall lovely stay and would stay again!

Stayed: January 2014

Thank you so much for your review and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Your kind words have of course been shared with the team, particularly Charlotte and Chantelle. I very much hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to St David's Hotel & Spa in the near future.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Stayed here for two nights with my family. The hotel is clean and tidy although a bit dated and worn in parts. It is in need of a make over. The pool area is awesome a real treat. Breakfast is good for a buffet style serving. The hotel is in a perfect location within walking distance of the bay and a short taxi ride to the city centre.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your lovely review and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us here at The St David's Hotel & Spa, Cardiff.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Myself and my husband stayed at this hotel Sunday 29th December 2013 as an anniversary treat, and mid Christmas and new year break. We paid £179.00 for the night bed and breakfast. We feel we totally wasted our money and were utterly disappointed :( we have stayed in many hotels over the years which include 2, 3, 4 and 5 star, this hotel is nowhere near 5 star, we have stayed in premier inn hotels that are far better than this hotel!!

Car park was reserved for wedding guests, and had to park in the public car park further away from the hotel but cheaper! The day we checked in the weather was horrendous so could really of done with being able to park nearer.

The room was very old and dated with wet patches on the carpet. The furniture was very tired looking and the decor was terrible!

The bathroom could not of been updated since the hotel was first opened. Dirty de grained tiles which needed re grouting, and the sink had a black mouldy scum mark all the way around. The soap holder on the bath was hanging off! The day we checked out I cut my foot on glass which was on the bathroom floor, which must of been from a broken glass from in the bathroom.

The breakfast experience was just not acceptable!! We waited 20 minutes to be seated, waited another 10 minutes for coffee and toast, and then there were no plates, no juice, no milk and the staff were struggling to replenish the hot buffet, where we waited another 10 minutes for black pudding and eggs! The food was luke warm and poor! There were queues waiting to be seated 20 in line, where they queued just like we did passed other breakfast eaters which was both off putting for the waiting guests and eating guests! There were tables left full of used plates from other guests at breakfast for the whole time we were there! Totally under staffed!!

On the departure day the lifts had broken down where everybody including ourselves used the spa lifts..

We were not asked at check out how our stay was, and it felt like staff were more concerned with checking other guest in.. Instead I was just asked for our key cards..

When we got home I did phone the hotel to complain and was told somebody would call me back, no phone call! I have again phoned the hotel and am still waiting a phone call back...

Total disappointment :(

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Mulls7

You have of course dealt with this matter directly with the hotel and I am pleased that you have accepted our apologies for any shortfalls in service on this occasion. I also understand that you are coming back to St David's in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back and providing you with our usual standard of service excellence.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I booked one night here in a suite for my husbands birthday , when we arrived we were met with a lovely receptionist called Ayesha( I think ) she was very polite and welcoming , she even upgraded our room as it was a special occasion . Our room was fabulous , with huge windows and 2 patio doors with 2 balconies . The room was clean and fresh , and within 10 minutes there was a knock in the door with another staff member holding rose champagne and glasses . She wished my husband happy birthday and even sang a bit of it . What a lovely gift for us !!!
We dressed in our complimentary robes and slippers and headed down to the spa . It was lovely and relaxing . We dined at the restaurant and had drinks in the bar first , I don't really drink much so a trainee ( a lady with American accent ) recommended a Redhead non alcoholic cocktail . How right she was ! And I hope this trainee stays here , she was fabulous !
Our meal at the restaurant was good , although the duck terrine starter was good , the pickles and pickled cauliflower were very very sour with vinegar . Overall though it was a nice meal .
The next morning we paid the £5 tray charge and had breakfast in our room in the dining area . It was fabulous and beautifully presented .
I wished we had stayed longer . The service from Ayesha was fabulous , she comes highly recommended . We will definitely return and I insist you give this place a try . Simply fabulous throughout !!!

• Stayed: January 2014

Thank you ever so much for your lovely review, the contents of which are much appreciated and will be shared with all the team at The St David's Hotel & Spa, Cardiff. I am delighted they were able to look after you and your husband so well, particularly as you were celebrating his birthday.

A warm welcome awaits your return.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

What a fabulous christmas party evening, the 3 course meal was excellent, and the entertainment was so good our whole party did not stop dancing, the atmosphere was superb , the staff attentive, we could not have wished for a better start to the christmas holidays, we will all certainly be returning here next year, would highly recommend this venue to those looking for a good party.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

I am so pleased you enjoyed your Christmas party night with us and we look forward to welcoming your back this year.