“5* More like 3*”

Ranked #14 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
cardiff
“5* More like 3*”
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

A relaxing new year break...
Nightmare all round more like!!

Staff unhelpful
Facilities are shocking
Cold full English
Dirty communal areas and lifts
Water running sounds throughout the whole night in room

Looking tired and unclean all over..

Don't book on the assumption your getting 5 star luxury...

Complained via email direct offered a complimentary upgrade for next visit

Hahahaha soz but wouldn't put myself through that again for £160 a night

The 1 and only plus was the beautiful views from our room..

On checkout not even asked about our stay

Hence the complaint and review

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank fivo
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Thank you for youre review. I note that unfortunately you did not bring any issues to our attention at the time of your stay to afford us the opportunity to rectify them immediately for you however may I reiterate our apologies for your disappointment on this occasion.

Andreas Maszczyk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (870)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Aberaeron, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014

This 5* hotel is nice and it is in a nice location. I would however say that I have stayed in 4* hotels that have impressed me more. The staff were very pleasant and helpful and I would stay there again if there was a good deal available. For me, unfortunately there was no wow factor considering it is 5*

Room Tip: Go for a sea view room
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Thank you for your review and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at The St David's Hotel & Spa, and particularly the location and the service provided by the team.

We hope to see you again soon.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

just returned from a really great 2 night stay .a very pleasant experience for both of us
until checkout time where were unfortunate to meet charlotte on the checkout desk
when asked if we had a car in the car park i informed this person that we did not ,but had a car outside on the forecourt waiting to pick us up , she then said that we could n,t have because we would be given a ticket! i was then told that i would be charged for car parking !
and then proceeded to add it to our bill on the system i told her that we would not be paying for
this we then decided to settle our bill with another assistant called "grace" who was very pleasant and we settled up with no problem i have to say the other " assistants" manner was very sharp this trip was spoilt somewhat this

Room Tip: southside offers a good view of the wetland reserve and very peaceful
1 Thank michaelsummers1
Thank you for your review and I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I was disappointed to read your comments in relation to the service you received upon check-out and I will investigate this matter in full.

In the meantime, I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to St David's in the near future.

Wales UK
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed at St Davids for New Years Eve and attended their gala ball. We enjoyed ourselves. The food was very good and very good service. Will stay here again. The only thing was that at 9.30 we were told that they had ran out of champagne! On New Years Eve! Anyway after my partner had discussed this issue with management they found some more thankfully! We feel the bar staff needed to be better equipped and better trained. Apart from that we had a very good evening.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RAC42
I am delighted you enjoyed our New Years Eve Gala Ball here at The St David's Hotel & Spa, and particularly the food and the service. I understand that one particular brand of Champagne ran out during the evening however I am pleased that an alternative was quickly offered.

We hope to see you again soon.

wales uk
Reviewed 5 January 2014

we arrived for a spa day today staff were very nice .we entered pool looks a bit tired now dated pool water cold needs to be warmer in january ,spa area very nice .we both had a massage it was ok i thought .not a wonderful expierience just ok .normally massage feels nicer .first time here !! celtic manor and brynmeadows were excellent .fet it was a better expierience and would rather her not knock door so loudly as she asked me to keep laid down at end she would get me some water she entered with water saying oh you are still laying down !! she said she would wait outside i got up drank some water and put my bikini top on .she knocked and entered before i put robe on and said oh !! been to many many spa days nice enough but felt she was a bit inexpierienced as didnt feel normal benefits of massage she said are you ok i said yes

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your spa day with us. Your comments have been noted and will be discussed with my team.

In the meantime we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reading
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here over the Christmas period and what a lovely stay I might say it was. A lovely welcoming by the reception staff especially charlotte who checked us in, we were upgraded complimentary as it was my birthday and charlotte organised a lovely surprise of fizz and fruit in my room. The room itself was on the 5th floor and what fabulous views (glad we were able to take advantage of the balcony) we didn't dine in the restaurant as we were meeting friends but we did manage to use the spa facilities .. Chantelle on the desk was happy to show us everything we needed to know and gave us robes and slippers- what a relaxing afternoon! Breakfast was a slight let down as there was a queue however the food was lovely and the staff were trying! Overall lovely stay and would stay again!

Stayed January 2014
Thank you so much for your review and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Your kind words have of course been shared with the team, particularly Charlotte and Chantelle. I very much hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to St David's Hotel & Spa in the near future.