“Still in the queue for breakfast”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #16 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 12 January 2014

It is Sunday morning and I have started to write this after being in the queue for breakfast seating for 28 minutes. We are 5 in our party and there are no tables left large enough to accommodate us. This is because all the larger round tables were occupied by 2 people! Eventually after much deliberation we were offered a table for 4 with an extra chair at the end. We are very cramped and not comfortable. The woman organising the seating told us that if we came at 7.30 we wouldn't have had to wait! I wont go into the details of the food but I asked for hot water and fresh lemon. The water came 10 minutes later and I was told that the lemon would be 4 or 5 minutes. After a further10 minutes and 3 requests the lemon finally arrived. My husband asked for an expresso coffee and was told they only have instant!
We had booked a junior suite and were very surprised to have a complimentary bottle of wine. However this rose frizz ante wine was to be served cold and as there was no fridge or mini bar we left it on the balcony.
The bathroom was a disgrace. A shower with a curtain and a temperature gauge that doesn't work and no shaver socket.
The lighting in the suite was so bad that we had to ask for an extra lamp as we could not read at the table in the lounge area of the room. One was brought but there was no socket in the area. We were told that it is a MORNING table.
How this can be classed as a 5 star hotel is beyond me. I can only think that as this is the only 5 star hotel it may be better to take a chance on a less prestigious establishment.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank sandrabutwick
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Thank you for your review. May I reiterate my apologies in the personal communication between us for the delays with breakfast service however we did have an issue with the gas supply into the hotel on this particular morning meaning the team had to compromise on service. I understand that this was addressed with all affected guests on check-out.

I am pleased you enjoyed the complimentary room upgrade and sparkling rose in your room. As we operate an extensive 24 hour room service menu in line with our 5 star status we do not have mini bars in our rooms.

My apologies for the other issues your encountered and understand that the team rectified any issues that were brought to their attention.

Once again thank you for your feedback which will be discussed with my team.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

This hotel has a superb location and the facilities are exactly what one would expect from a hotel and spa. The food is not the best I have had yet it is adequate for the price. The car parking is often a problem as the location is so popular with visitors to the Bay. Be prepared to park away from the hotel especially if they have functions akin place in the hotel - and these are frequent.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank GwynRoberts

Thank you so much for your review and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us here at the St David's Hotel and Spa, particularly the location and facilities of the hotel.

We do have limited parking in our private car park at the hotel which is chargeable at £10 per 24 hours, however immediately adjacent to our car park is an NCP car park with over 200 spaces chargeable at £7 per 24 hours.

I very much hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel, we had a complimentary upgrade and the staff were extremely helpful, lovely restaurant too. Would definitely go back, a bit more than I would usually pay but worth it. Balcony a little on the small side that was the only complaint.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Emma M

Thank you for your review, the contents of which are much appreciated. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back very soon to The St David's Hotel & Spa, Cardiff.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

I should start by saying I always enjoy my visits to the spa and the staff are always really pleasant and helpful. However, the irritations do mar my visits. There is not enough parking, so on most visits I am greeted at the car park entrance by a concierge who couldn't seem less concerned that there is no parking. You will be directed to the public car park next door, where it costs £3.50 for up to 4 hours. If you come for a full spa day, allow £7 or £8 pounds. Hardly 5 star!
Reception staff are always very pleasant and there are warm toweling dressing gowns, slippers and plenty of towels available. However, the changing rooms are tired and need a refurb. The shower cubicles are small, although there is plenty of room to enlarge them. A hook for towels in the cubicle would be good. There is nowhere to sit and apply make up; there is a small counter with 2 hairdryers where you can stand to use a mirror, but if other guests are waiting to dry their hair you feel obliged to move away. The pool is fine, but quite small with very few loungers. The jacuzzi and waterfall showers have awkward metal steps which you have to climb up and then down ~ not so good if you have mobility problems. The upstairs spa area is the best place to relax with a book and there is a good range of complimentary teas and drinks. I used to love the cafe, but the comfortable settees and coffee tables have gone; there was a very long wait for service with no staff at all in the room, but the food is still good and snacks are very reasonable. (Humous and 2 pitta breads is only £3.50)

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank fiftysomething100

Thank you for your review following your recent spa day with us. Your comments will be discussed with my management team and therefore your feedback is much appreciated.

I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your experience and hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Five friends and I booked for afternoon tea as a pre Christmas treat. Although two of us asked for the Champagne option - this had to be chased THREE times and only arrived when the first pot of tea had gone cold. Similar requests for other drinks needed a number of requests.

Customer service was appalling, I don't think the staff wanted to be there.

The selection of teas was poor - since when do I want to smell all the fruit teas - asked for a smokey tea and was offered Camomile................ I shall not return.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank KLN234
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Quite a nice hotel. Staff were pleasant enough although at times it was difficult to communicate due to language difficulties. My husband and I both asked for tea with our breakfast but got coffee. The rooms were pleasant enough but no better than a premier inn. Bathroom floor didn't look as though it had been cleaned for quite some time and grouting around bath quite mouldy. Didn't use the spar so cannot comment on that. Food was quite good but overall I would say it was slightly overpriced. Probably different a few years ago but it looks tired and in need of some TLC.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe room with balcony had a lovely view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Thank you for your review and I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. Your comments will be discussed with the team and I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Receiving this overnight stay and tickets for a show was a present given to us for Christmas. Although the weather was appalling but this made the hotel more inviting than ever. We felt so welcomed from the word go. Our room was beautiful with a view over Cardiff Bay, unbelievable.
Dinner was delicious and the service was wonderful.
Unforeseen circumstances on our departure and my husband having difficulty combatting the flights of stairs of the fire exit, was a real trial but we cannot thank members of staff and guests enough for their assistance. THANK YOU ALL
We enjoyed the Hotel so much we will have to return in the Summer!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your review and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Your kind comments will be shared with the team here at The St David's Hotel & Spa and we very much look forward to seeing you both again in the summer.