“Disappointingly average”

Ranked #15 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Rubellared
“Disappointingly average”
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

I spent 2 days and a night here for a business trip and must say I had high hopes but was really disappointed.

The car park itself fits about 30 cars otherwise you have to park in the public carpark across the road. Not what I expect for a 4* hotel.

The staff were mildly friendly but very disinterested and certainly not attentive.

The food was awful. Gone off cheese and Luke warm mains.

Expensive bar. Over fifteen pounds for a cocktail and nearly £30 for a bottle of house white.

Room average but overall pretty poor

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to read your comments overall. I would like to apologize for any shortfalls during your stay. However I can confirm that the Hotel Car Park has 65 spaces. I will of course share your comments with my team.

Andreas M. Maszczyk.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (848)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2014

This hotel is exactly what you want, providing you can get the same discount as we did. We walked in to a polite and helpful receptionist, got to our lovely and spacious room with a great view and just chilled out for a while after a drive from London. The hotel is close to Cardiff Bay which is a great area for bars and restaurants. The hotel had a good pool and spa and what I felt was really important, a warm goodbye, wishing us well on our journey (and advising us on an activity to do before we left). Would return again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DPainter01
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Thank you for your positive comments. I am delighted we were able to accommodate your needs and in particular your room and Marine Spa. We look forward to your return in the near furture.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night as part of a corporate event. The two stars that I have given are for the lovely view from my room and one member of staff who tried very hard. The rest of my experience was terrible. It wasn't a good start when, on arrival, the hotel car park was barricaded off. Whilst there was a public car park just down the road, I do prefer to park in a hotel car park for security reasons. Also I was disappointed that the concierge/member of staff that we're wondering around outside the car park didn't make any attempt to apologise, offer alternative means or offer an explanation. Check in was standard and room given on 2nd floor. Whilst of good proportion the room seemed very tired, plain and no thought put into it whatsoever. As I had an evening meeting, I was horrified to notice that the shower head in my bathroom was hanging off and therefore totally unusable. This would have been obvious when the room was cleaned and I think this kind of lack of care is demonstrable of the overall care of a place. On calling reception an extreme polite lady from reception attended my room and did indeed confirm the shower was unusable. However as the hotel was fully booked (didn't seem it?) I had no choice but to use the small attachment by the taps for my stay. With long hair this is harder than it sounds! A bottle of champagne was offered, and following chasing was delivered but I was unable to drink it (it was cheap and nasty) and handed it back to the bar in the glasses given. I explained it was awful but was told it was fine. The food throughout the stay was equally disappointing. Yes, in the main, this was buffet food linked to our corporate event and therefore I didn't give personal feedback, however as it came from presumably the same kitchen I wouldn't look forward to a formal dinner here. Breakfast was nothing short of a disaster. The member of staff who took us to our table looked panicked and we were following him around the whole restaurant whilst he decided where we could sit. There were many tables available but all were dirty and full of past diners plates. Eventually he sat us down only to find that he had sat us with another diner who had gone to fetch a yoghurt! Chaos! I decided on full English, had to ask to order and it arrived without beans and sub standard. The poached egg was quite literally raw. My colleague's arrived looking totally different (different mushrooms and with beans). As I sat and ate the chaos continued on every table - waiters & waitresses wondering around with food & not knowing where to go, tea & toast not arriving etc and all the time, absolutely no tables cleared. On check out I wasn't asked how my stay was as if I had I would have gladly given personal feedback. What a shame - I really was hoping this would be a fantastic venue for future weekends away as I only live 45 minutes away. Would not recommend.

1 Thank Puddle34
Thank you for your review. The contents of which are disappointing and will be discussed with the team. My apologies for your disappointment.

Pwllheli, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my husband for a special birthday I was celebrating from 25/1- 28/1. The views of Cardiff Bay from our bedroom was lovely. All the staff at the hotel were very polite, helpful and friendly. Our room was very comfortable and spacious. They served a very good breakfast and I enjoyed my birthday dinner at the hotel. The hotel is within walking distance of many attractions and eating places in the bay. There are plenty of taxis and buses to take you into the city centre. We took advantage of both mode of travel. I had a great time.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and have a great view.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed celebrating your birthday with S. David's Hotel & Spa.

We look forward to you returning soon.

Edinburgh
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

Just spent the night in what was supposed to be a luxury suite. The room was large but quite basic in its furnishings and amenities. No mini bar for example. Stains on carpets, faulty showerhead and light bulbs not working. The main hotel toiletries are Molton Brown however not in the rooms.

The bar had a nice feeling about it with friendly service. The restaurant however was not a good experience. Being a traveller on my own I was seating in the furthest corner of the restaurant and eventually was forgotten about. My ribeye steak arrived well done when it was supposed to be medium rare. It took so long trying to get attention that I eventually gave up. It was deducted from my bill.

Only plus was the friendly receptionist who were very helpful.

This hotel could be really good but needs money spending on it to bring it up to date. Very tired in deed.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review. Please accept my apologies for any shortfalls in service on this occasion and I can assure you that necessary action will be taken in this regard.

Andreas Maszczyk
Ammanford, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed here for the first time last weekend and despite the weather had a great stay. Staff were efficient and pleasant and at all times professional. The rooms were comfortable and the bed was fabulous, a great nights sleep. The shower and bathroom was just plain odd and did not reflect the higher standards elsewhere in the hotel. Breakfast was buffet style and there were no complaints as to quality and choice. One very positive observation was that there was a wedding party happening until late on Saturday night and we were unaware that it was taking place. I have been in 5* hotels in London when this has happened and we could hear the noise of the music from our room.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at The St David's Hotel & Spa. We hope you come and visit again soon to experience more of our ongoing investment.

Andreas Maszczyk
Devon
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed here back in December 2011 on boxing day with my boyfriend. Had a very good deal in advance was cheaper than the travel lodge. Perfect hotel for couples, romantic with good views of the sea. Has a lovely pool/jacuzzi which was lovely very luxury. Has a balcony which would be lovely in the summer. Very modern room, huge bed which was sooo comfy i didnt want to get out. Duvet lovely and cosy. Not far away from bars etc. Room was very spacious and will definatley have and will recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for review. I am pleased your stay here at St. David's Hotel & Spa.

We look forward to your return soon.