“Excellent hotel”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #16 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 2 February 2014

A very well run top-notch hotel with excellent facilities and helpful, friendly staff. On a one night stay we chose to be upgraded to a room with fabulous views over the bay. Well worth it. The only minus is an overpriced breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Thank you so much for your review. I am pleased overall you enjoyed our stay and you got to enjoy the fantastic views we have to offer here a St. David's Hotel & Marine Spa.

We look forward to your return soon.

Andreas M. Maszczyk.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

Went with my husband for 2 nights as a stress reliever, wanting a bit if luxury. The exterior of the hotel is unappealing, in my opinion, but once inside, the lobby is clean and well presented. We had a deluxe room on the top floor. The room was nice with a big, comfy bed. The view was lovely. The shower was over the bath and I wouldn't describe it as a power shower. I was shocked to find that there was only 30 min free internet, after that you had to pay. First day breakfast was nice. Buffett choice of fruit, yoghurt, cheese, salami, cereals and bread . The cooked breakfast was ordered by the plate. There was a £5 supplement for any other choice. The Waiter/waitresses were very polite and friendly.the service was quite prompt but this was in contrast to the following day. Some of the staff were different and the whole thing was less organised. We were seated quickly and helped ourselves to the fruit etc but after 20 mins and noticing that other couples who arrived after us were being served, I had to get up and ask if I could give our order . I chose vegetarian sausages and after one bite they were deemed inedible. My husbands had no beans. They were brought out quite quickly after I asked but were luke warm. The pastries were not replenished so the choice was poor and I didn't,t feel I could make any more requests. The coffee was also warm rather than hot. The pool and spa was inclusive and was lovely. There were dispensers of lovely fragranced shower gel, shampoo and conditioner in the showers. There is also a spinner remove excess water from your bathers. Overall it was a nice stay

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay. Firstly I am glad you enjoyed your overall stay. I was, however disappointed to hear of your disappointing breakfast experience which I can assure you I will be personally be looking into and implementing any corrective action necessary.

I do hope we can welcome you back to St David's in the future.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

Stayed at the hotel for 2 nights in January in room 501 . On entering noticed a unpleasant smell. The room was clean , but a little disappointing. We unpacked and went out. On returning, we noticed the smell was still present and thought it was the toilet. We checked and could not find the source of the smell. We then went out for dinner and spoke to reception and told them of the horrid smell in our room. We returned late at night and went straight to bed. The following morning the horrid smell was back in our room. When we went down to breakfast we again reported it at reception and asked if someone had checked it. Reception said they couldn't find a mention of it, but would report it again. When we returned to the room that evening it was still there.! We gave up complaining and went to bed. When we checked out we asked what had been done to rectify the problem, we were told they were sorry, but would make sure to mention it to the maintenance. This was a little too late for us. Nice hotel, but feel very let down. Think we will stick to going to Celtic Manor in Newport- Would of liked a personal apology . .

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. It was disappointing to read your comments in regards of the unpleasant smell. I would like to personally apologize for this and like to thank you for bringing this to my attention and I will ask my Maintenance team to look into this immediately.

Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

I spent 2 days and a night here for a business trip and must say I had high hopes but was really disappointed.

The car park itself fits about 30 cars otherwise you have to park in the public carpark across the road. Not what I expect for a 4* hotel.

The staff were mildly friendly but very disinterested and certainly not attentive.

The food was awful. Gone off cheese and Luke warm mains.

Expensive bar. Over fifteen pounds for a cocktail and nearly £30 for a bottle of house white.

Room average but overall pretty poor

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to read your comments overall. I would like to apologize for any shortfalls during your stay. However I can confirm that the Hotel Car Park has 65 spaces. I will of course share your comments with my team.

Andreas M. Maszczyk.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

This hotel is exactly what you want, providing you can get the same discount as we did. We walked in to a polite and helpful receptionist, got to our lovely and spacious room with a great view and just chilled out for a while after a drive from London. The hotel is close to Cardiff Bay which is a great area for bars and restaurants. The hotel had a good pool and spa and what I felt was really important, a warm goodbye, wishing us well on our journey (and advising us on an activity to do before we left). Would return again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DPainter01
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Thank you for your positive comments. I am delighted we were able to accommodate your needs and in particular your room and Marine Spa. We look forward to your return in the near furture.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Stayed here for one night as part of a corporate event. The two stars that I have given are for the lovely view from my room and one member of staff who tried very hard. The rest of my experience was terrible. It wasn't a good start when, on arrival, the hotel car park was barricaded off. Whilst there was a public car park just down the road, I do prefer to park in a hotel car park for security reasons. Also I was disappointed that the concierge/member of staff that we're wondering around outside the car park didn't make any attempt to apologise, offer alternative means or offer an explanation. Check in was standard and room given on 2nd floor. Whilst of good proportion the room seemed very tired, plain and no thought put into it whatsoever. As I had an evening meeting, I was horrified to notice that the shower head in my bathroom was hanging off and therefore totally unusable. This would have been obvious when the room was cleaned and I think this kind of lack of care is demonstrable of the overall care of a place. On calling reception an extreme polite lady from reception attended my room and did indeed confirm the shower was unusable. However as the hotel was fully booked (didn't seem it?) I had no choice but to use the small attachment by the taps for my stay. With long hair this is harder than it sounds! A bottle of champagne was offered, and following chasing was delivered but I was unable to drink it (it was cheap and nasty) and handed it back to the bar in the glasses given. I explained it was awful but was told it was fine. The food throughout the stay was equally disappointing. Yes, in the main, this was buffet food linked to our corporate event and therefore I didn't give personal feedback, however as it came from presumably the same kitchen I wouldn't look forward to a formal dinner here. Breakfast was nothing short of a disaster. The member of staff who took us to our table looked panicked and we were following him around the whole restaurant whilst he decided where we could sit. There were many tables available but all were dirty and full of past diners plates. Eventually he sat us down only to find that he had sat us with another diner who had gone to fetch a yoghurt! Chaos! I decided on full English, had to ask to order and it arrived without beans and sub standard. The poached egg was quite literally raw. My colleague's arrived looking totally different (different mushrooms and with beans). As I sat and ate the chaos continued on every table - waiters & waitresses wondering around with food & not knowing where to go, tea & toast not arriving etc and all the time, absolutely no tables cleared. On check out I wasn't asked how my stay was as if I had I would have gladly given personal feedback. What a shame - I really was hoping this would be a fantastic venue for future weekends away as I only live 45 minutes away. Would not recommend.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Puddle34

Thank you for your review. The contents of which are disappointing and will be discussed with the team. My apologies for your disappointment.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my husband for a special birthday I was celebrating from 25/1- 28/1. The views of Cardiff Bay from our bedroom was lovely. All the staff at the hotel were very polite, helpful and friendly. Our room was very comfortable and spacious. They served a very good breakfast and I enjoyed my birthday dinner at the hotel. The hotel is within walking distance of many attractions and eating places in the bay. There are plenty of taxis and buses to take you into the city centre. We took advantage of both mode of travel. I had a great time.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and have a great view.