“Unique hotel in Cardiff Bay”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #15 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Droitwich, United Kingdom
“Unique hotel in Cardiff Bay”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

This hotel is most unusual in that everything, from the building itself to the bathroom fittings, was architect designed when it was built 15 years ago, and few changes have been made. The hotel has a distinctive 'sail' on the roof, and a dramatic open 7 floor atrium around which the corridors to the bedroom lie. Otherwise the hotel's attraction is the lovely views from most bedrooms either over Cardiff Bay and the sea, or over the Cardiff Bay development across to the Welsh assembly and Millennium Centre.

Our bedroom was roomy and comfortable with two armchairs, although it lacked a fridge and we thought the drawer space rather limited. There is even a balcony, but you would need better weather than we had in February to use it! The restaurant is nice with water views, but we thought the bar the weakest feature, being very gloomy and more like a pub, and incorporating a very small resident's sitting area.

Room Tip: You pay a little extra for the best views.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Dear Andrew,

Thank you so much for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed the unique views and the architecture that the hotel has to offer.

We look forward to your return.

Andreas m. Maszczyk.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (848)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Rhondda, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My Finance and I stayed at this hotel for 1 night on Valentines Day. Overall it was a great and enjoyable experience.
The spa was lovely with a large powerful jacuzzi, swan neck fountains, sauna and pool. The changing rooms were of very high standard with lots of thoughtful extras such as a swim suit wringer/dryer and little bags to place your wet things in. There was also plenty of shampoo, conditioner, body wash and body lotion free to use and placed in the showers and near the hair dryers. Something I liked about the spa changing facilities was that the showers have doors! None of that weird communal showering to be seen anywhere :)
Spa treatments (back massage and purity facial) were excellent and very relaxing. The products used smelt and felt gorgeous. The spa staff were also very friendly and the juice bar was a great feature when you felt thirsty.

We booked the deluxe double. It was a large room with a balcony a lovely views. We particularly liked having a balcony and think it'll be great for a summer visit. The bed was very comfy and the little extras of welsh cakes and a chocolate sheep was great.
On the downside the room NEEDS a refurb. The carpet looked a worn and some of the furniture seemed damaged or overused. It is a pity as it lets down the rest of the hotel which is lovely and spoils the 5 star experience that we were hoping for.

Due to the desperate need for a refurb we would only stay here again for a cheaper price than we payed or when they get a refurb in all of the rooms.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony it really is lovely. All deluxe rooms have them and suites.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear MinniMallow,

Thank you so much for your review. I am pleased overall you had a great and enjoyable experience with us, I will pass your kind comments in regards of the Marine Spa. I can confirm that we have a new investment that we will be looking to upgrading the furniture in our bedrooms.

I do hope you visit again soon to experience our ongoing investments.

Andreas N. Maszczyk.
Swansea
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We have been to this hotel many times with the most recent stay for Valentines Day. As we live about 40 miles away it is a nice getaway for a night's break away from the stresses of home. The staff are always very pleasant and attentive and it is definately worth spending time in the spa which is obviously free of charge if you are a resident. The weather was very bad so it was nice to be indoors keeping warm in the mineral baths and pool. My only complaint is that this area does need some renovation and is looking very tired. Our first visit was probably about 5 years ago and in that time there does not appear to have been any work carried out on the pool or mineral baths area. There are quite a few damaged and cracked tiles and the top step into the jacuzzi was loose which could be very dangerous. A few minor upgrades would really enhance the experience. There was a Valentine's Meal menu but we opted for A La Carte and the food and service was very good. There is also a lovely bar area in which to relax. The basic rooms are extremely spacious and very well equipped. However we were once upgraded to a suite which was very disappointing. The bathroom was poorly designed with a walk-in shower which flooded the floor every time we used it. Had we paid full price for this we would have been very unhappy. Check when you are booking whether breakfast is included as it can be pricey if being paid for separately although there is an excellent choice and very enjoyable! Also be aware that there is a car park but it is not free and costs, at the moment, £10 day, Don't be put off by the negatives there are many positives about this hotel especially the friendly staff. It is also an excellent base for exploring Cardiff Bay and the City Centre with good transport links.

Room Tip: Basic rooms are huge, really well equipped, beds so comfortable and lovely views, not worth paying m...
Dear Karen,

Thank you for your recent review. I have addressed the top step with my Maintenance team to source a replacement or to be fixed, I would like to thank you for bringing to our attention. I would like to personally thank you for such a positive review on St. David's Hotel. Our Suite's do come with a walk in shower these bathrooms are designed as a wet room facility.

Andreas M. Maszczyk.
UK
Reviewed 19 February 2014

booked it the same day we were going, had a good deal and a free upgrade, great spa nice room, bar food lovely and breakfast buffet was super, will be going again. Reception staff very polite and knowledable

Room Tip: ask for water views.
Dear Reedmyster,

Thank you so much for your review. Thank you for your kind words on the Marine Spa, Bar food and Breakfast, I will share your comments with our team.

Andreas M. Maszczyk.
Bexhill Sussex
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I and my wife stayed for 2 nights as we were attending a wedding. The receptionist was very helpful and even gave us a complimentary ticket which had a few hours left to use the public car park as their car park was full. The room was very large and comfortable with a view across the bay. Very nice bathroom with a really powerful shower. The bed was huge in fact it was two joined together with a topper on.This was very comfortable but I would have liked 2 single duvets instead of the very large heavy one. The bedside tables had seen better days and there was no fridge or mini bar which you get in 4 star hotels. The tea making facilities are not so generous and I had to ask for more tea bags. I had no sweeteners on the second day and the handkerchiefs in bathroom were not replenished. The heated towel rail was not heated which I reported but nothing was done I suppose this being the weekend. All the staff were very pleasant and helpful but some could not understand what you were saying example .Shall I pour your coffee now Sir? No I replied I will have it later.She then poured it.
I attended the wedding breakfast and although we were a little late at sitting down I was not impressed with the amount of gravy on my plate and the over cooked and dry roast potatoes.
The breakfasts were okay but just the basic.No fried bread.The coffe on my first morning was cold.I asked for hot milk the next morning and this was better.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Thank you for your review and I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay, particularly the size and comfort of your room together of course with the wonderful views of which we are very proud.

I confirm that St David's does not put minibars in our rooms due to our extensive 24 hour room service menu in keeping with our 5 star standard.

I note your disappointment with breakfast and the wedding meal which we would of course have resolved immediately had you brought it to our attention.

I am however pleased that the staff were pleasant and helpful and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to St David's in the future.

Andreas M Maszczyk
Cardiff
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed here for two nights at the end of January and as the hotel is rated 5 Stars, we were expecting a luxurious break. We had two master suites and a double deluxe. The double deluxe room was as described and had spectacular views across the bay. The room was clean and comfortable. The two master suites were large with huge floor to ceiling windows and two balconies providing breath taking views. The suites were in desperate need of refurbishment, furniture was very worn and shabby and carpets were stained and dirty but the stunning views compensated for this. I understand that Starwood Hotels have recently purchased this hotel and that refurbishment of the rooms has commenced.
Check in staff were efficient and pleasant. The Concierge, Jeff, is really in the right job, he takes care of you from the moment you pull up outside until the time you leave. He is an asset to the hotel.
All the staff in the restaurant are extremely pleasant. Breakfast was ok but for a five star hotel, I expected better. The cold buffet was not replenished and the cooked breakfast was nothing special, each morning our eggs were undercooked, I hate seeing a gloopy film of raw egg white floating on top of a fried egg. I pointed this out on the second morning before my eggs were brought to me but they still arrived in the same state.
On our first night at the hotel, we ordered room service, I tried calling the room service number several times to no avail, eventually I went through to reception and the receptionist took our order and said she would pass it on. We ordered 2 Ribeye Steaks to be cooked medium, chicken goujons and fish goujons. When the order arrived the chicken goujons were missing and had been replaced with Cajun chicken, we explained to the waitress that this was not what we had ordered and she was very apologetic and promised to correct the order immediately. The goujons were duly replaced. In the meantime we discovered that our steaks were not cooked as requested, they were oozing blood and raw and freezing cold in the middle. It was so off putting that we longer wanted to eat and sent the meals back. The waitress agreed that the steaks were very raw and all the blood on the plate was extremely off-putting. I then received a telephone call from the Duty Manager, Nathan, he was so rude and questioned my integrity and asked whether I knew how ribeye steaks should be cooked ! He told me the steaks were cooked perfectly and that I didn't know what I was talking about! My family have several restaurants in Rome, I have cooked in them all and I certainly know what constitutes a raw steak! I was so shocked to be treated like this. This obviously ruined our night. I told him that I would not be paying for the steaks and he told me that he would not be removing them from my bill. He was arrogant, confrontational and did not apologise once.
The next morning I had to seek out the Customer Relations Manageress to complain about the previous night's treatment. At first she was quite dismissive of my complaint and stated that she was not able to comment because she had not seen the steaks in question, however she did say that the Genera Manager was present in the kitchen when my steaks were returned and that he thought that his chef had cooked them to perfection. We asked her why the General Manager was not at this meeting himself if he had seen the offending steaks. She told me that he was in the kitchen the previous night but not in an official capacity so he was not able to comment. I explained my experience and qualifications and she understood that clearly I did know how a medium cooked steak should be presented. She then changed her attitude toward us and realised that Nathan had treated us abysmally. The issue was that the steaks were not cooked as we had requested, we did not eat any of the meal, so therefore we should have received an apology and not have been charged. She agreed this, apologised and removed the charge from our bill. The waitress gave us a bottle of wine as an apology. I would have be happy had this outcome been achieved that night and would have said no more. Nathan's treatment of us was appalling and he was clearly not capable of performing the role of duty manager.
On our final morning, to add insult to injury, the room service breakfast that we had ordered for my 98 year old grandmother, failed to arrive. I telephoned room service and they stated that they had not received a card requesting breakfast. The young girl was extremely apologetic and said that the card may have been lost or taken from the room door by someone before room service had had the chance to collect it. She promised to send breakfast up for my grandmother within the next 30 minutes. She told me to contact Reception to ask them to extend our check out time.
I did this and explained my reasons to reception and I was told that I could only extend my grandmother's room and could not extend the other rooms. I explained that I had to wait for room service to bring breakfast to my grandmother before I could go to breakfast myself. I explained that it was not my fault that we were delayed. He took this literally and said 'It's not my fault either'
I had had enough by now and told him that I would be checking out as soon as I could but that I would be making sure that my grandmother received her breakfast first and then I would take breakfast also. He did not reply he just disconnected my call.
When I eventually arrived at breakfast, I explained my lateness and problem to Karolina, who I believe to be the Restaurant Manageress. She was lovely and told me not to worry. Shortly afterwards a very pleasant and apologetic lady arrived at our table and stated that she had arranged an extension of checkout for us and was very sorry for all the inconvenience that we had incurred.
In summary our problems were always eventually sorted but it seems we had to go through a lot of trauma before they were dealt with. Each problem could have been resolved quickly and efficiently before escalating to such a high level, if the staff the problems were initially reported to were better trained and better equipped to deal with such issues.
I would stay at the hotel again because I believe that overall it is a good hotel but has certain staff issues. If I experienced a problem in the future I would report it immediately to higher management and miss out the 'middle man'.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank italyintimefortea
Thank you for your review, the contents of which are disappointing to read. At St David's we strive to provide a unique and individual level of service excellence to our guests and I apologise that you were disappointed on this occasion.

Andreas Maszczyk
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Despite the weather problems, we couldn't resist going ahead with our weekend in Cardiff.
We knew from a previous visit just how good the St Davids is, but this weekend has been even better.
The hotel has everything you would expect from 5* establishment. Alarmingly indulgent
rooms, seductively comfortable beds, excellent facilities, blackout curtains for that extra lay in, and luxurious bathrooms.
So what made the difference on this visit ? The staff.
Throughout the hotel everyone we met was exceptionally helpful or prepared just to have a quick word to ensure our trip was going well.
A special mention for the reception staff, who are extremely helpful, great fun and assisted in helping us with directions / recommendations with my partners quest for more shoe and clothes shopping. We later visited 26 shops, and I still want to come back again !

Room Tip: top floor with a view of the two islands - great way to wake up even on a wet morning.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review and I am delighted that the team were able to look after you so well. I am pleased that you enjoyed the luxury and comfort of your bedroom and yes, we have to agree, the reviews are indeed spectacular from all of our rooms at St David's Hotel & Spa.

A warm welcome awaits your return, and hopefully the weather will be a little better!

Andreas Maszczyk