“Fantastic stay”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #16 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My friend and I have been coming to The St David's Hotel & Spa for some time and have had a fantastic experience every time. This time Gemna in the bar was superb, she was attentive, friendly and very efficient, well done! Thank you once again, see you later this year!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

Dear Tina, thank you for your review and choosing to stay with us once again. I am happy overall you had a fantastic experience with us once again. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. I will share your comments on to Gemma.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed at the St David's Hotel last October & would thoroughly recommend. We were upgraded to a junior suite for our one night stay which was extremely spacious, comfortable and had great views over the bay (despite the stormy weather).
As the weather was pretty bad outside, we took advantage of the hotels spa, as outdoorsy type people, this normally wouldn't be our cup of tea but we were pleasantly surprised and had a relaxing afternoon, the facilities are great!
As far as service goes, it was faultless! All the staff we encountered from reception, to room service & waiting staff (breakfast) were welcoming, friendly & attentive, no complaints.
Overall, for the price paid the hotel more than exceeded our expectations & I look forward to returning in future, hopefully when the weathers a little better;-).

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear danyelle1986, thank you for your review from last year. I am delighted that your stay with us was comfortable and enjoyed the Marine Spa and a had a relaxing afternoon. Your review made a positive review and I am happy we exceeded your expectations.

Do hope you return soon.

Andreas M. Maszczyk

Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

Back for another of our regular stays to find is just as good as ever. Our friends stayed in one of the refurbished room which we had a look at and can say was very nice.

The weekend was one of the busiest I have experienced there and we were unable to park our car in the hotel car park or in the nearby pay & display which was a little frustrating. The spa also was very busy and we were unable to book treatments which is very unusual however Selena was fab and got in touch with us when she received two cancellations which we were thrilled with. The treatment I had with Christine was one of the best that I have had and I have had many. Our afternoon in the spa was superb.

We were made to feel so welcome by all the staff but especially by John the concierge who remembered us from our last visit, Ian and Nathan on night desk and by Andreas the GM, all of whom made us feel like old friends rather than customers.

As with all our visits over the years, it just gets better each time and almost feels like home. We will be back soon.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Mills15, thank you for your review, I am delighted you came back to enjoy the St. David's Hotel & Marine Spa and you got to experience one of our newly furbished bedrooms. I will share our comments with our team and I am happy that few of our colleagues remembered yourselves. Hope to see you again soon sometime.

kind regards.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Just stayed for 2 nights in a 4th flo8r refurbed room. Standard was great and the best thing about this hotel - the staff. From Andreas the manager, Nathan and Ian on the desk at night, Craig in the day, Gabrielle in the bar and the spa staff. Nothing is too much trouble whatever you ask them for they will do their utmost with a smile. Will be returning 100% by the end of the year.

Room Tip: 4th floor and above for views.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Iggypiggy890, thank you so much for your positive review on St. David's Hotel & Marine Spa from the bedroom and your kind words on our staff. I will of course share your comments with my team.

We look forward to your return before the year has finished.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights as a long weekend break. We booked for a Junior Suite, but applied for the Master Suite upgrade (which we recieved). The price of our package also included breakfast.

Our suite was certainly spacious. The living area had floor to ceiling windows along two walls, providing excellent views of the bay. The bedroom was fitted similarly along one wall, allowing us to wake gently as the sun pulled over the horizon. Unfortunately, the suite was let down by tired furniture and fittings, with the sofa and carpets showing signs of water damage. Likewise, the balcony decking and furniture was showing signs of wear, with paint peeling from both. These didn't detract from the enjoyment of the room, but they did take the sheen off. And, despite these drawbacks, our suite was spotless throughout and prepared for our stay.

Food was a very mixed affair. We had room service breakfast on both mornings, and received cold toast on both. We also had room service dinner one evening, where our open cheeseburgers had slices of red onion with the skin still attached. The afternoon tea in the attached Tempus Restaurant was a different story however - the cakes were superbly made, the scones were incredibly light and the teas were just what we needed.

Staff were always friendly, courteous and polite, and offered an excellent service at all times.

If we were to stay again, we would probably choose a plainer double room and use the hotel as a base from which to explore the rest of Cardiff. With an ample range of good quality eateries nearby at Mermaid Quay and the river taxi that takes you to the heart of the city, there's little reason not to venture outside.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Gazimoff, thank you for your review. I was disappointed to read your comments in regards of room service breakfast and dinner I have noted your comments and I will look into this personally. However on a positive not you enjoyed your afternoon tea with us, we do pride ourselves on our afternoon tea. I do hope you return and visit soon.

kind regards.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We have often stayed at the St David's so despite some recent mixed reviews we booked for a weekend break. I must say that it was excellent from the moment we arrived to the day we left. I will make special mention of Jeff the Concierge who made us so welcome. He has a lot of local knowledge and is a an asset to the hotel. Our room was on the 5th floor and was clean spacious and tidy. It is a fact that some of the decor is a bit tired but non of that caused us any problem. The view over the bay and the customer service is what I pay for and it was all perfect. We had bed and breakfast. The bed was huge the breakfast was huge and the waiting staff were very attentive. It is clear that some issues highlighted by other guests have or are being sorted which is great. We have not had a bad stay yet and long may it continue.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear zztop, thank you for your review and that you had a fantastic stay with us at the St. David's Hotel & Marine Spa. I am overall happy that we delivered great customer service to you during your stay, i will pass your kind comment to Jeff for you also.

We look forward to you return soon.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We arrived at the Hotel to find that we could not use the Hotel carpark. The public carpark required change in the machine to pay which we did not have. We struggled over to the hotel with our luggage and checked in. When we got to the room we were initially disappointed with the dated decor and the worn furnishings. Then we realised that there was a sick stain down the side of the bed! :-( . Tired from the journey we had just had we decided we would get a drink at the bar and mention to reception that I was not happy with the room. The lady at reception was lovely and helpful. She found us another room and brought us the new room cards to the bar. When we went to pay for our drinks at the bar the receipt that we were given had different drinks listed on it. I questioned the male member of staff who basically ignored me and continued to give my partner the same amount of change anyway. The new room was more clean but the same - dated. The best bits are probably the view and the molton brown shower gel and shampoo. We went for a swim in the advertised "world class spa" again this was crowded and small and probably again a little dated - just average. The staff were not unpleasant although they did not go out of their way to chat and help. Breakfast the next morning was not hot enough and we ate our 'luke warm' cooked breakfast - with poor quality ingredients, cheap sausage and left... All in all this stay was certainly not value for money and we did not receive a 5 star experience. I have never had to complain about anything before but when you pay this kind of money you really expect better. It was also supposed to be a special treat - it was not. What I cant believe is that I have just looked at the reviews of the hotel on here now. The complaint reviews are the same complaints as my own.Why are these issues not being addressed? If I received the same complaints over and over in my job and didnt improve I would be sacked?! Hindsight says I should of just asked for my money back when we got to the room and saw it. I would of booked into the Park Plaza - altogether its a much better place.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GippyG

Dear GippyG, Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. Please accept my apologies for your disappointment. I can assure you that your comments will be addressed with my team and action implemented immediately as necessary, as I can further assure you all feedback is greatly appreciated and used as a tool to improve future operations and standards.

Andreas M. Maszczyk