“Close to Millenium Centre”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #16 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Weymouth, United Kingdom
“Close to Millenium Centre”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

We visited the Millenium Centre and this hotel is a mere 5 minute walk away. The Millenium Centre is an amazing building and we were impressed by its individuality.
Unfortunately the hotel was not as good. The room was spacious but spartan with no fridge/pictures. The restaurant advertised an early preshow meal in posters and literature but was no longer offering this service. The wifi service was out of action most of the day we were there. However the staff were helpful and friendly and the view from the room was lovely.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the bay.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Thank you for your review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and particularly the view from your room and the service provided by the team.

A refrigerator is not provided in the room as standard as we do offer a comprehensive 24 hour room service menu in keeping with our 5 star status however mini fridge can be supplied upon request.

A pre-theatre menu is available and I apologise if this was not the case during your visit and I will investigate this with the team.

In the meantime, I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Andreas M Maszczyk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (832)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Cardiff
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Had to give this experience 3 out of 5 due to the sheer disappointment with the food. However the pre-dinner cocktails were lovely (expensive but what I'd expect) and the service we received from all of the staff both in the bar and restaurant was exceptional. The Pinot Noir was also one of the best glasses of red wine I've had in a long time.

We ordered the breads to start which took over 20 minutes to arrive and whilst presentation was beautiful, the 3 small breads were nothing special. Now I know people have complained in previous reviews about the wait between courses but I actually like the time to sit and talk and digest each course. But I do think 20 minutes for bread to come out is a little slow. I had the chicken live parfait with mini savoury welsh cakes and I'm afraid the whole course was quite bland. Presentation was again stunning but I'm not sure savoury welsh cakes work and the only flavour was provided by the pomegranate seeds. My next course was Wiener schnitzel with mashed potato and although the portion size looked impressive, I found the pork tough and tasteless. When we fed this back to the waitress we were informed this was how Wiener schnitzel was meant to be. Luckily I have a very generous boyfriend who swapped me for half of his venison which was amazing. The whole of his dish was fantastic so at least they got that right.

This was meant to be a romantic celebratory meal which we pushed the boat out for at a five star hotel. Thankfully, the staff, the view, the drinks and the company made up for the disappointment.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review following your recent celebration meal with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed the service provided by the team together with the cocktails in our Tempus Bar not to mention the fantastic view on offer from our Tempus Restaurant.

I apologise however for your disappointment with certain elements of your meal. I will of course feed your comments back to my Head Chef.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to St David's in the near future.

Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Lovely hotel and spa, could not fault the service and all the staff we came into contact with we're very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. We felt very special during our two night stay and totally relax. The pool and spa facilities were great. We ate in the restaurant and the bar on several occasions including breakfast and the food and service was second to none. Would thoroughly recommend this hotel and definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks so much for the review which will of course be shared with the team. It is so encouraging to receive such great feedback and in turn, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay.

We hope to see you again soon.

Andreas Maszczyk
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

We stayed there last night, through the treat your partner package. On arrival we were treated with very helpful staff, and as it was my partners 30th birthday we had our suite upgraded! Excellent. We stayed in the Castell Aberystwyth suite which had excellent views of the Bay and Millennium center. The evening meal was great and the restaurant had a nice relaxed vibe. Breakfast was also just as good. All in all, a great base to explore the Capital.

Room Tip: Aberystwyth suite, amazing !
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you ever so much for your review. Myself and the team are delighted you enjoyed all aspects of your stay here at The St David's Hotel & Spa, and indeed our treasured capital city.

We hope to see you on your next visit to Cardiff.

Andreas Maszczyk
Wales, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

I'm a little late writing this review. We stayed for a few nights last October whilst visiting our Daughter. We arrived late afternoon and noticed the car park looked quite full, but obviously being residents we presumed there would be space for us, a member of staff had just let another car in and so my husband drove forward a little only to have said member of staff put her hand a little to firmly on my husbands bonnet and shout ' It's Full' ... I noticed from her badge that she was employee of the month!? Well a space was available and we eventually parked but the whole rather awkward and unnecessary situation didn't make for a happy start. The Hotel is looking very tired from the outside, but is quite impressive once inside. It's in a perfect location for exploring the stunning Cardiff Bay and we found it a very good base, but unfortunately it had nothing of the 5 star service we get at true 5 star hotels. I found the staff friendly enough, but a little robotic. The room was nice, the balcony was very tatty though and it's such a shame because the views are spectacular and no mini bar which I found odd, when we enquired about this we were told that they prefer guests to ring down for what they want, well usually so do I, but I want to make that choice, I don't want it made for me. We ate in the Tempus restaurant for breakfast and dinner and the food was ok, but the service, not so great. I had smoked haddock for breakfast which was lovely...when it eventually arrived... do you know there is a surcharge for this, well I certainly do, they told me often enough, to the point where I found it quite insulting.... And our evening meal was overshadowed by the waitress running after us as we left the restaurant and then looking embarrassed and saying 'Oh it's ok' ...What!! My husband had charged the meal to our room and left a substantial tip, it really was a very odd experience...and not something I've ever experienced before anywhere!!
All in all a 3 star hotel and it's such a shame because it could so easily be the 5 star I'm sure it once was.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Dear Thewy81, thank you for your review from October 2013. I am so sorry for your disappointments during your stay. I have noted your comments. We no longer have minibars in our bedrooms as we do have an extensive room service menu to choose from.

Andreas M. Maszczyk.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

My husband surprised me with a night away at the end of 2013, we had the most fantastic room and the spa facilitys were good as well. When it came to the evening it was the worst experience ever if it could go wrong it did go wrong table was reserved but took an extra hr to be seated 45 mins between starter and main my husband had a bullet in his pigeon just a nightmare. breakfast we were offered coffee and toast by the time we got it we had finished to plate of breakfast. we were spending the day in the spa but were so gutted we came home. total waste of money. We were offered another night but since the offer has been excepted i have emailed but have not had a response of when we can use it. What a joke!!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thank you for your review, the contents of which are disappointing to note. We would very much welcome the opportunity to welcome you back to St David's however we are unable to trace any communication from you requesting a date. We have also written to you personally in this regard and look forward to hearing from you.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel for four nights this week and overall have had a very good stay. The location is excellent with mermaid quay in walking distance with lots of restaurants and bars. The staff have been polite and helpful though we have had to ask several times for extra items as enough had not been put in the room. The room itself requires a little updating, the sofa was torn and some of the furniture a bit tatty. The views from the room are amazing. We didn't eat in the restaurant on an eventing as the menu looked boring but the breakfast has been very good and the service at breakfast excellent. The spa facilities are lovely but the steps in and out of the pools are very wobbly. The complimentary robes and slippers are lovely but they only hold one size. The worst thing is the £10 per day car park charge which when you are paying as much as they charge for a room is not good enough. They advised when we questioned it that it was due to their being in the city centre which they are not. Overall a very good stay but not quite 5*

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Kelawinda, thank you for your review. We are currently undergoing refurbishments to our bedrooms and upgrading any old furniture. I have noted our comments in our Marine Spa and will discuss these further.

Andreas M. Maszczyk.