“Super friendly, helpful service”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #16 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
London
“Super friendly, helpful service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed here for a personal celebration. We stay in a lot of hotels on business and you can get really fed up with high prices and indifferent service levels. We read the bad Tripadvisor reviews about Celtic Manor and decided to try St David's hotel instead. We are so glad we did - it was an excellent experience from start to finish and I can't thank everyone enough for making a one night stay so special.
We were upgraded without asking and were sent a bottle of fizz and chocolates to our room when we mentioned that we were celebrating a special occasion.
We ate dinner in Tempus (lovely) and enjoyed it so much we had lunch there the next day too.
Our next stay will involve the Spa ( no time this visit, but it looked so lovely).
HIghly recoommend you stay here.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Thank you so much for your review. it made a delightful read. I am pleased overall you enjoyed your stay he at the St. David's hotel & Marine Spa. I do hope on your next visit you get to indulge in the Marine Spa.

Andreas M. Maszczyk.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (831)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
South Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed here in February as a Christmas treat but was very disappointed.
Reception area impressive on check in, staff very efficient and friendly but the hotel needs a makeover.
Our room was on the fifth floor and had a fabulous view of Cardiff Bay but the room did not have the wow factor. I have stayed in many four star hotels in Cardiff- Novhotel and Mercure Holland House & Spa which exceed this.
My daughter and I used the health suite, which included a pool, sauna and Jacuzzi but did not have a steam room.
Bar area was impressive, although we did not eat here.
Overall, enjoyed ours stay but was bit disappointed.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
I was disappointed to read your comments and I am sorry to read that certain elements of your stay did not meet your expectations. Please be assured your comments will be discussed and addressed with my Management team as a matter of priority. Also, we are currently undergoing a refurbishment programme and I hope we can welcome you back in the future to witness our ongoing investment.

Kind regards,
Andreas M. Maszczyk
Shaftesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Used Trip Advisor to look for a short break in Cardiff. Soon found that the centre Hotels reports all mentioned noise at night. Then discovered St David's Hotel and Spa. It is in a wonderful location. We had a room on the South West side with views to South over the bay and west to Penarth and the wetlands. The room was spacious and comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. We had a deal with 20% off and free breakfasts which was very good value. We parked the car in secure car park on day one of 3 and used the No 7 bus to get into the city. Nus stop a 5 minute walk. The Hotel has an excellent Spa with pool, Jacuzzi and Sauna all part of the deal. We ate in the Restaurant on one evening and although expensive , food was of a very high standard. Cardiff Bay has a lot to offer too. We would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone wanting a relaxing and "Quiet" stay in Cardiff.

Room Tip: Sea view and if you can get on a corner than you get windows on two sides
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review. I am delighted overall you enjoyed the whole of your stay and that it was quite and relaxing. I am pleased you enjoyed our hospitality and the food in our Tempus at Tides restaurant.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel for two nights, one of many small treats for my partner because I've been away working for 7 months abroad. I love a 'good quality' hotel, so always stay in 4/5*. We read mixed reviews about this particular hotel so were a tad anxious. We landed at Cardiff airport at 11.00am. Check in wasn't until 3.00pm so I phoned the hotel asking if we could arrive earlier....not a problem. So we arrived and checked in early, I booked a deluxe king room with a balcony, this is great because we both smoke.

The grand lobby/atrium is very modern, not sure if it looks or feels like a 5* hotel but the service from the reception team was second to none. The room was very spacious, lovely bathroom and the balcony was appreciated. Few grumbles - it's a 5* hotel but there was nowhere to charge my electric toothbrush in the bathroom or plug a shaver in? Quite odd. No minibar but a bottle of complimentary cheap rose was delivered to the room, and a couple of bottles of water. Toiletries and the bathrobes were great. The tv on the wall and wires hanging from it. I felt like going to B&Q and buying a plastic strip that would hide the wires for a couple of quid, it just looked daft...clean white walls but black leads hanging out of the tv, bit like spaghetti junction. The balcony wasn't very private, it's only partitioned by a mesh see through wind block, no furniture either. Anyway, on the whole I would give it 7/10.

After a good nights sleep and a great day in cardif I enquired (on the off chance) about upgrading rooms, the previous night was fully booked. I was quoted a price for a junior suite and one for the master suite, after a bit of banter and bargaining with the reception team we upgraded to the master suite at a very reasonable price! I won't disclose how much but I think more hotels should offer this service, it gives the guests a better experience and the opportunity to see how the other half live + the hotel make extra income.

This master suite was fabulous! Large lounge area, dining table, huge sofa with a large plasma. In another room was a lovely bed and a smashing bathroom. Really enjoyed the extra space, again the rooms need a bit of tlc - the furniture on the balcony wasn't safe to sit on, and it all needed repainting, but I can't complain.

Room service was 'okay' we ordered three times, that's £15 all ready on tray service before you've even ordered! Drinks were very expensive, four vodka & tonics came to over £40 in the bar. I don't mind paying this though, all decent hotels are the same.

The bell boy was a bit dim, I ordered a selection of cheese, pot of tea, coke and a toasted sandwich. He phoned the room 10 minutes later to confirm the order, for some reason he thought I wanted soup. Anyway, another 5 minutes pass by and the phone rings again, he wanted to double check it was ordinary coke and not diet....3 minutes later (by this point I couldn't stop laughing so my partner answered the phone) he wanted to know how we were paying for it, we explained we had pre authorised out credit card but apparently there was no record on his computer, we told him to phone reception and they resolved the matter. 45 minutes later the food arrives, I give him a couple of quid tip and he leaves. We were about to sit down and eat when we realised he had forgotten the drinks. I felt a bit sorry for him and didnt want to be a pest, so we phoned reception and he came back quickly with the drinks and apologises profusely. That's one thing I loved...the staff couldn't do enough, so polite.

Anyway, a long one I know! Would I go back? Absolutely! I'd have to stay in the master suite though. Thank you for an enjoyable two nights!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charlierbrown
Thank you for your review. in regards of not being a mini bar in the room we do offer an extensive room service menu 24 hours a day. I am pleased the upgrade to one of our Master Suite was enjoyable and thank you again for your kind comments on our staff. We look forward to your return in the near future.

Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

We stayed here for one night and as I say it was very nice but no more. The reception staff were excellent on both check in and check out. The room - yes it was nice but not really 5 star. There was nothing outstanding but nothing awful either. No mini bar which was in usual in a hotel of this size. The bed was comfortable. It all seemed a bit well tired - certainly no wow factor. The spa was in fact a swimming pool plus bubble pool. On the day we were there there was a noisy threesome and whilst they didn't really bother us I think they bothered others. The loungers had no view other than the wall of the pool. We found out afterwards that there was a relaxation lounge with views over the bay where you could have coffee etc but we were not aware of this. I tired on and off all day to get through to the hairdresser only to discover the number in the book was wrong - I did finally get through and they fitted me in and I was very pleased.
All in all it was good but not amazing and I suppose it depends what you want, we wanted to chill out but the spa area was a bit disappointing particularly because of the noise on that day. The staff were excellent and very attentive. We had a bit of a deal so I would say we had good value but had I paid the full price I would be disappointed so I have given my rating based on the full price as I suppose this is what most people pay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am pleased our staff during your stay were excellent and very attentive. I have noted your comments in regards of the number for the hair salon and i will have this changed straight away.

Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

We had a really pleasant night here - the room was lovely, clean and luxurious, could not fault it one little bit. Furthermore they left a complimentary bottle of champagne in the room, which we eyed with suspicion for about half an hour before calling reception to find out if it was a minibar, chargeable item, but no, it was complimentary - weren't we the lucky ones? That'll explain the bucket and ice. Staff were pleasant and efficient, the view was amazing, we had a lovely cocktail downstairs, and breakfast, while nothing to go crazy over, was great.

The spa experience could have been better. It wasn't awful, there were some great facilities, but a little dated. That's really the only reason it lost out on the extra point, well that and they could have left a compliments slip with the bottle of bubbly so we didn't stress out about it. But that's just picky. Mainly the spa is where it fell down a little. Probably would go as far as 4 1/2 if the opportunity was there.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. i am pleased overall your experience here at St. David's was very pleasant. I have noted your comments. I do hope you visit us soon.

cardiff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Have been for several Spa Days with a two course evening meal. Spa staff are the friendliness staff I have met, full of information and nothing is any trouble. Beautiful clean facilities , housekeeping staff excellent Food and service in the restaurant is first class.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review on our Marine Spa. I am delighted you enjoyed your Spa Day with us. I will pass your kind comments onto my staff.