Came here for a night away with my wife hoping for something really special. The hotel is well known in Wales and is iconic within the context of Cardiff Bay. The 5* rating of the hotel was exactly what we were looking for.
Everything about the hotel is underwhelming. The foyer is really lifeless and dull. When we arrived at the bedroom as I was genuinely shocked at how threadbear the carpet was, the divan bed was worn and so were the recliner chairs. The balcony is a really lovely feature but again, the decking was very worn and peeling away. I don't know whether they are going for a 'minimalist' look in the bedrooms but all the walls are white, bear and very uninspiring.
We requested fresh milk and coffee for our room. We had to ring three times over a 40 minute period until they came - when it did finally come it was just more UHT milk and powdered coffee!! It eventually came when we rang again a few hours later. Poor.
The bed was very comfortable on the plus side as were the pillows - this I would say was the best part of the stay really.
The swimming pool and spa which we went to is extremely tired looking and needs some investment. The pool was very very cold and small. Again, the sense of 5* luxury was not evident at all.
We didn't have food at the hotel for evening meal so couldn't comment on that.
Breakfast was lovely I must say (although it should have been at £18/head) and the restaurant overlooks the bay which was really great.
When we checked out we were shocked at our £15 parking fee - their response is that they charge the same as the NCP. Surely they could include this in the price of the stay?!!
All in all - very unimpressed. We will be going back to the Celtic Manor next time which is far better value for money and far more luxurious and enjoyable. We will NOT be returning!!
Cardiff Bay is nice - my tip - stay somewhere else for cheaper!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The St. David's Hotel is situated on the waterfront of Cardiff Bay. Dynamic and contemporary in style, the hotel incorporates an impressive floor-to-ceiling, glass-backed atrium that provides a vision of space and natural light. All bedrooms have private balconies and waterfront views. Just five minutes from the centre of Cardiff, St David's Hotel is adjacent to Mermaid Quay with a wide range of entertainment including The Wales Millennium Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The St. David's Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. David`s Hotel Cardiff
- St Davids Hotel Cardiff
- Cardiff St Davids Hotel
- St Davids Cardiff
- The St. David's Hotel Cardiff, Wales