“What a disappointment”

Ranked #16 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Swansea
“What a disappointment”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Came here for a night away with my wife hoping for something really special. The hotel is well known in Wales and is iconic within the context of Cardiff Bay. The 5* rating of the hotel was exactly what we were looking for.

Everything about the hotel is underwhelming. The foyer is really lifeless and dull. When we arrived at the bedroom as I was genuinely shocked at how threadbear the carpet was, the divan bed was worn and so were the recliner chairs. The balcony is a really lovely feature but again, the decking was very worn and peeling away. I don't know whether they are going for a 'minimalist' look in the bedrooms but all the walls are white, bear and very uninspiring.

We requested fresh milk and coffee for our room. We had to ring three times over a 40 minute period until they came - when it did finally come it was just more UHT milk and powdered coffee!! It eventually came when we rang again a few hours later. Poor.

The bed was very comfortable on the plus side as were the pillows - this I would say was the best part of the stay really.

The swimming pool and spa which we went to is extremely tired looking and needs some investment. The pool was very very cold and small. Again, the sense of 5* luxury was not evident at all.

We didn't have food at the hotel for evening meal so couldn't comment on that.

Breakfast was lovely I must say (although it should have been at £18/head) and the restaurant overlooks the bay which was really great.

When we checked out we were shocked at our £15 parking fee - their response is that they charge the same as the NCP. Surely they could include this in the price of the stay?!!

All in all - very unimpressed. We will be going back to the Celtic Manor next time which is far better value for money and far more luxurious and enjoyable. We will NOT be returning!!

Cardiff Bay is nice - my tip - stay somewhere else for cheaper!

Room Tip: Try getting a room facing the Bay - the other side is not as nice.
1 Thank 18tilidie
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to read your comments. I would like to apoligse for any shortfalls during your stay and I will share these comments with our team. I can confirm that we are currently investing our bedrooms and will be upgrading these facilities. I do hope you witness our ongoing investments.

Andreas M. Maszczyk.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (841)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This hotel describes itself as the 'only 5 star hotel in Cardiff' which is how my wife and I have judged it. We have just returned from there having spent 3 nights there. 5 stars is very misleading. Please don't expect too much if you have ever stayed at a 5 star hotel before.

Car Parking: 0/5 - disgraceful hotel residents have to fork out £15 per day (so that has added £45 to our stay). For a 5 star hotel it should be complimentary as the hotel is expensive enough. The principle of it stinks. It called taking advantage!

Room: 3/5 - Stayed (and paid) for a Junior Suite. Very pleased with the extra room (although £500 for 3 nights is not great value). Melton Brown toiletries a nice touch. Fridges do not come as standard (not sure why not as there is definately the room) which is very unusual for a 5 star hotel. Was offered one which then had to replaced twice as not working. Even the one we finally ended up with broke down!

Staff: 5/5 - A credit to you. All very friendly

Spa: 2/5 - If you can bear the cackling hen parties, like a nice view then fine. But if you are asking for that something a bit special then you will be disappointed. Been to much classier spa's. Treatments were fine, but then they should be. Anyone familiar with spas will be aware of the 'chill out' room where you go after your treatment. Was very disappointing. Light, bright and cold!!!! Waste of time. Got better facilities at my local gym!

Tidus restaurant: 1/5 Don't bother. Save the money and walk to the bay where the choice is good. Menu far too fussy. Very poor vegetarian options. 1 vegetarian dish off the menu (that was 50%) and no lamb. Bit of irony in that! Wife was served a portion of rice pudding for her main meal, described a risotto on the menu. Felt embarrassed for the kind waitress. Was provided with a complimentary glass of wine. Nice gesture. However, is clearly a measure of the quality / standards of the chef in allowing such poor food to leave the kitchen. I would be, if that the best you can do, god help the next customer! Also, whilst the wine (which by the way was over £9 per glass) was a gesture, the margin was probably 80% so in fact a cheap gesture rather than refunding my wifes dinner. The maths is not complicated!! Very poor practice.

We had a pleasant weekend but that was the location and weather. Very little to do with the hotel which keep bleating on everywhere about being the only 5 star location in Cardiff.
If you want a good spa would thoroughly recommend the MALVERN SPA. Thats a real spa!!

Too many things need sorting in St David's so set your expectations pretty low, otherwise you will be disappointed and full of regrets.
Overall the hotel is an average 4 star. Very tired looking from the outside.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I was very disappointed to read your comments and apologise for your disappointment on your recent stay with us, especially in regards of your shortfalls in our restaurant. All feedback is taken very seriously and I will discuss your comments with the team. I can confirm that we provide mini fridges in bedrooms upon request, we also do have an extensive 24 hour room service menu to chose from. I would like to thank you for your comments in regards of our staff,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed here for 1 night with my husband and we couldn't praise the staff enough. From the concierge to the two extremely friendly blonde girls at the reception and breakfast (my apologies I missed your name) the service provided was excellent. The room on the 7th was lovely with a magnificent vue of the mermaid quay! The hotel is perfectly situated to discover the beauty of Cardiff Bay. The pool area is such a pleasure after a long walk around the bay but what made our stay was the perfect and relaxing hot stone back massage! Thank you Amy and Eoin, I'm back in London relaxed, stress free and happy! Great place to stay and we will definitely return!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am delighted your stay with us was stress free and happy, I will share your kind comments with our team here at the St. David's Hotel & Marine Spa especially your special mentions Amy and Eoin.

We look forward to your return in the future.

kind regards.
Abertillery, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Hotel I has the most fantastic views and the rooms are well equipped and extremely clean.I visited one of the suites which was fabulous and could not be rivalled anywhere in Cardiff. Staff were polite and helpful 10 out of 10 to the hairdresser at Blue I have never had so many compliments about my hairdo. Food out of this world cannot give any negative comments on the ambience of this hotel. Can't wait to visit again.

Room Tip: Every room has a fabulous view.m
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review on the St. David's Hotel & Marine Spa. I am delighted your time with us was enjoyable and your experience was wonderful, I will pass your kind comments over to Blue for you, thank you once again.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Recently stayed here for one night. Checked in to our room, as soon as my partner and I opened the door we were taken back by the room and the view. Room was spacious, modern and clean. The view was stunning over looking mermaid quay. We chose to dine in the hotel, first few cocktails in the bar, great taste and refreshing. Compliments to the chef and the waiters and waitresses the food and service was at its best. Our bed was so comfy we had a peaceful nights sleep. Breakfast, a wide range selection of hot and cold buffet. We also had spa treatments booked while we were here. We both had full body massages and experienced them together in the couples room, after we were shown to the relax room. Finished our stay lounging poolside and in the jacuzzi. Overall we enjoyed our stay and a big thank you to all the staff that we came in touch with. We will be back again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am delighted to read that you stay overall was relaxing. thank you for sharing your kind comments and of course I will share these with my team.

We look forward to your return in the near future.

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

This was my first stay at this hotel. First off the service provided by the staff was nothing short of excellent. Room was clean, bright and airy, highlight being the fantastic sea view. As I am deaf I requested a vibrating alarm clock on the off chance they would be provided. Extremely happy to find they were. My one complaint was to find myself unable to find a subtitled option on the TV. I find this a necessity at any hotel I stay at. Apart from this one point I can highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Mrjoe1986
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read your comments on our service here at St. David's Hotel & Marine Spa. I was also happy to read that we were able to provide you with a vibrating alarm clock during your stay.

We do hope you return to s soon.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I have just returned from a couple of nights at St Davids Hotel and Spa and booked a suite room 511 and was very dissapointed. I have been staying at St Davids since 2002 and it is looking very tired and no longer is in my opinion anywhere near the 5 star rating. It needs money spent on the rooms. Our suite was to celebrate our marriage and so we did not want to ruin our stay by making a fuss. The once expensive white sofa is now covered in white throws that don't fit and were put on to cover the terrible stains underneath (pictures can be provided). The tiles in the walk in shower were cracked so badly that its is amazing that water is not leaking into the room below (pictures can be provided). The paintwork was peeling off the skirting board and the wooden slats on the balcony are loose and it feels unsafe to walk on them, one of them was not fixed at one end and came up when you walked on it. The chars and table on the balcony were so bad having been left out over many winters you really would not want to sit on them as they marked my trousers. I would not go in the summer as the air conditioning was so noisy on full that it would keep you awake. The fruit in the fruit bowl had seen better days and will probably be there for the next people coming in. It is such a shame that it has deterioated like this but they have lowered their prices and I guess this means less money to maintain the rooms. Finally at breakfast when we went up to get our hot food we came back to find our table cleared so our tea/coffee, toast, juice napkins etc had ll gone but this is what happens when no one person is responsible for you. Will I go back, I am not sure I would rather pay more and have the original high standards of a 5 star hotel. The only saving grace is that the staff were all excellent and they deserve better. They are relying on the position and the views to bring in custom.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to read your comments. I will address your points that you have made with our relevant mangers here. especially the comments made in regards of your bedroom. Please rest assured I will look at this further. I would like to apologize that your expectations were not met on this occasion.