“First class hotel with good value rooms”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #16 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for one night over the May Bank Holiday weekend. We arrived via the M4 (Westbound) and followed the hotel's directions from the website. Unfortunately I did not check the route on a map. If I had done I would have totally ignored these directions as they took us miles to the West of Cardiff and then back towards the city in a South-Easterly direction, thus adding many miles to our route (and a lot of time). We arrived at the hotel more than slightly annoyed. However our mood changed as soon as we reached reception. The staff member who dealt with us was very efficient and courteous without being over the top.

Our mood further improved when we got to our room. It was contemporary, clean, large and had an amazing view of Cardiff Bay which could be enjoyed from the spacious balcony that we had. The windows were floor to ceiling so the view could be enjoyed whilst lying in bed. I could not fault the room. It was a deluxe room but was still under £100 (£99 if I recall correctly). This was very competitive when compared to other hotels in the city and there is no way that they could have provided a view like this one.

One criticism that I would make is that, although the room itself was very reasonably priced, other prices in the hotel seemed very high. We had breakfast in our room. It was very nice but it cost £41 for two (with a £5 tray charge). This seemed a bit steep but it was first class. Also there was no furniture on the balcony. Apparently this was for health and safety reasons but was a little disappointing.

If I stayed in Cardiff again I cannot imagine that I would go to any other hotel as this one was amazing. I was genuinely very impressed. On leaving we found our own way to the M4 via the city centre and this route was both shorter and quicker.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room on the West side of the hotel and you get the sun in the afternoon and evenin...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Thank you for your review on the St. David's Hotel & Marine Spa. I am delighted to read your comments on your stay, of course I will share with our team. We look forward to your return in the near future.

Andreas M. Maszczyk.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,024)

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I recently visited St David's Hotel and Spa for a spa day and afternoon tea with my mum and friend and her mum as a late Mother's Day gift. We used all the facilities and had treatments which we were all very pleased with. The afternoon tea was lovely and Lorraine that looked after us was fab she explained all the different types of tea to us and nothing seemed to much for her. She also knew that it was my birthday the next day and offered us all a complimentary glass of bubbly which was lovely and also a cake with a candle and sang happy birthday this was a lovely touch to the lovely afternoon tea that we had. There was so much choice of cakes and so much so that we had to bring some home which Lorraine boxed up for us. I will definitely be recommending this and be going again in the very near future myself.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review on your recent visit to our Marine Spa and Tempus at Tides. I am delighted to read that you and all your guests were pleased with your treatments. I have taken note of your kind comments and that Lorraine looked after you so well, of course I will share this with our team.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Fantastic stay at Cardiff Bay - overnight stop for a conference but joined by my daughter who studies in the city. Lovely friendly staff who gave us an upgrade to a suite - wonderful panoramic views of the bay through the wall of floor to ceiling windows - so beautiful that we kept the curtains open all night. Bed is without doubt the most comfortable I have ever slept in, I didn't want to leave for work in the morning. Spa, restaurant and breakfast all excellent. Also great water bird watching from the balcony. I can't fault this hotel, it's the third time in Cardiff but first at this hotel - will definitely be back. I want that bed,

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a view of the bay
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Thank you for your review. I am pleased your first stay with us here at St. David's Hotel & Marine Spa was enjoyable. I have noted your comments and of course I will share with my team.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stayed here for a civil partnership celebration and couldn't fault the service and attention to detail which we experienced. Everything ran smoothly, the dining room looked wonderful and the meal we ate was first class.
Our room had a wonderful view of the whole Bay area, was clean and very comfortable.
My only criticism would be the breakfast. Although our table had a lovely view, I don't think what was on offer was really up to the £18.50 per person which it cost ( we were on a room only basis ).
It was a pretty standard full English breakfast such as you get anywhere for about half what it costs here. If you are on a room only deal it would be a better bet to stroll across the road to one of the many places serving breakfast at a more realistic price !
But overall a nice place in a lovely part of Wales' capital city.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to read your comments on your overnight stay and attending a civil partnership and service ran smoothly. I can confirm that we do offer a discount on breakfast for guests that wish to take advantage of this offer in advance.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Wow! A beautiful hotel with lovely staff. Quiet and relaxing. The restaurant is a little bit pricey but was well worth it for a special treat. Just a stones throw from the very busy and lively Cardiff bay. Would stay here again and recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review on the St. David's hotel & Marin Spa. I am delighted overall your stay was relaxing and our hospitality was lovely.

We look forward to your return in the future.

Andreas Maszczyk.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We originally stayed in St David’s hotel back in 2009 but we didn’t post a review on TA and we couldn’t really remember it. We were attracted to return by an email that offered discounted rates with free breakfast. Given St David’s charges guests £18.50 for breakfast on the day, we thought we’d like to take advantage of that offer. Turns out there was a catch. You had to stay 2 nights to get free breakfast and we only wanted to stay down Cardiff Bay one night as a pre bank holiday treat. So we got booked at the special discounted rate room only and decided we would eat out for brunch after we’d checked out. If you’re booking a room at the flexible rate, you can pre-book breakfast for a more reasonable £12 per person. The only trouble is, adding breakfast to the advance purchase discounted rate isn’t an option and if you move up to the flexible rate, that means breakfast would effectively cost you almost £30 per person – ok if corporate expenses are paying, but maybe PH management don’t want to encourage leisure guests at the lower room rates. We ate a perfectly good breakfast in Wetherspoons pub with expansive views of the bay for less than £10 in total, for 2!

So, although an extortionate breakfast wasn’t on the cards, we guess since it was a Sunday night and hotels are usually less full on Sundays, we were lucky enough to be given a free £20 upgrade to a deluxe room on the 6th floor with lovely views across the open bay to the sea: towards the largely unused remnants of Cardiff docks on one side, and across Cardiff wetlands to Penarth on the other. The larger than average 31 sq metre room with floor to ceiling picture windows felt really spacious, light and airy, although the carpet which we recalled from our first visit is looking quite tired now and could do with replacing. But why do hotels insist in only putting one easy chair in spacious double rooms? The large 6 foot bed was really comfortable but the pillows were poor. The duvet was 10.5 tog – not as unbearably hot as some hotels but still hotter than needed, especially given the fact that the hotel itself seems to be naturally very warm. The air conditioning was next to useless – it either needs replacing or else management have deliberately turned off the coolers. You can get some air by propping open the door onto your small, non-private balcony, but if you do, watch out for when the wind drops and the midges start swarming – if you’re not too careful you could be inundated quite quickly. Despite what it says on the Principal Hayley website you won’t have a plasma TV in your room. We had a 32 inch wall mounted 32LG3000 LCD TV dating from about 2008. It was certainly much better than the poor quality nasty little 21 inch 4:3 aspect LCD TV we had in other Principal Hayley hotels a few years ago. The picture quality wasn’t too bad at all. The only problem is, with only one easy chair, the only sensible place for two people to watch TV is from the bed but the TV’s fixed flat to the opposite wall about 2 foot over to the right from the foot of the bed. It’s not on a swivel stand and it’s therefore not so easy to actually watch TV – why don’t people who set up hotel rooms actually think about how things are in day to day use?

We had a nice big bathroom, but despite its 5 star status, you don’t get a separate shower cubicle as you do with many 5 star Euro beach hotels. The illuminated magnifying shaving/make-up mirror shows that room designers can think about how things are in daily use – even if it’s all pretty scary close up and magnified. We don’t use spa facilities and chose not to eat dinner in the hotel so can’t comment on those parts of the hotel. Not so long ago, if you didn’t want to pay the hotel £15 to park in its barrier controlled bit of Havannah St open air car park you could simply park in the council bit of the car park for £7 for 24 hours. How disgusting of Cardiff City Council to have recently massively increased 24 hour parking charges to be the same as the hotel’s £15. And this is an insecure open air car park – it’s only £10 for 24 hours in the secure Apcoa multi-story car park for goodness sake. We suppose Cardiff CC think they’ll make lots of cash from the increase but it may not be as much as they think. People will first be driven into filling all the spaces in the hotel car park when they may have happily stayed out in the Council bit. Then people will go elsewhere, like the Apcoa secure car park. And then others like us will look for the few remaining free spaces - we could say where, but it’s a secret.

We enjoyed our overnight stay and are happy to give the hotel 4/5 based on our expectations and limited use of facilities. But, as locals, not sure we’d fork out to stay here again any day soon.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MandH-eurotrippers

Thank you for your in-depth review on the St. David's hotel & Marine Spa. I am pleased overall your stay with was enjoyable. I will share your comments with our team.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We booked a few days stay at the St Davids, having been previously stayed a few years ago when it was a Rocco Forte Hotel. Our first visit the hotel was outstanding however this time around we have left really disappointed.

In our view the hotel is no longer a 5 star, possibly 4. We felt it was tired and it felt pretty basic. We upgraded to the junior suite and feel ripped off as it seemed only slightly bigger than a standard room with a small table and uncomfortable chairs you couldn't sit in, dirty windows and a very minimalist decor. The breakfast was nothing special just a basic buffet, had we paid the advertised £18 for it we would have been angry frankly.

The car park is £15 per night if you can get in it, so a 2 night stay cost us another £30!

The staff were fine, service was adequate but not 5 star standard compared to what we have experienced at 4 star hotels we have been to elsewhere.

The location is ok near to the bay restaurants where a lot of the main chains are located.

We had a pleasant visit to Cardiff but this hotel was a real disappointment, we felt 'done' by it, having paid £273 stay for 2 nights, we have had much better stays at a Premier Inn and paid £40 a night.

Having also had a shocking stay at a Principal Hayley Hotel elsewhere but given them a second go, they are a chain we shall avoid.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gus102

Thank you for your review, I am disappointed to read your review. I would like to apologise for any shorts and your expectations were not met this time. I will share your comments with our team.