“Good for the Rugby”

Ranked #15 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Tatsfield, United Kingdom
“Good for the Rugby”
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here when going to Rugby at the Millennium Stadium. Great location for the centre of Cardiff, and beautiful spot for a walk " the morning after the night before! ". Restaurant lacking in atmosphere, and the bar very dependent on who is in it. Granted we have only stayed when there is a big game, but if you are there for a quiet weekend you won't get one! The function rooms are quite close to the bedrooms and the noise can travel. However rooms lovely especially if you get one with a view.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Althea D
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Thank you for your review. I am pleased overall you enjoyed your stay whilst you attended the rugby in February. We look forward to your return in the near future.

Andreas M. Maszczyk.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (849)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Attended a wedding and stayed for one night.
Room excellent and food first class can highly recommend.
We were upgraded to a room with a small balcony and view of the Bay.
I have only good things to say about this hotel where we had a thoroughly enjoyable visit.

Room Tip: A view of the Bay is a bonus!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your recent stay with the St. David's Hotel & Marine Spa. I am pleased that you enjoyed your experience at the wedding you attended.

cardiff
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Did a mid week break on a special offer and upgraded to a junior suite. Room was large with great views, clean and well stocked. Had dinner in the resturant, very nice but for the price expected a bit more. Breakfast was excellent. Staff very helpfull and friendly. Pool was very good, spent an afternoon just floating around relaxing can't do that in many hotel pools. Overall would recommend but look for special offers as full rate price is expencive.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am pleased overall you enjoyed your stay here at the St. David's Hotel & Marine Spa. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I think to be a 5 star hotel, for the most part, you should get the majority of things correct and the basic stuff shouldn't be complained about at all. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here recently, helpful staff, beautiful views, clean room, great position in Cardiff Bay to experience all the shops restaurants etc. I have just one or two little gripes, that I think a 5 star should get right. The shower.....hmmm, the shower, what can I say. I stayed in a junior suite, a massive room but the shower was meant only for Lego men I presume? I am a 5ft 4 female and I felt claustrophobic and couldn't move an inch in there! And if the shower curtain wasn't quickly pulled across ( no door, c'mon?) the bathroom was flooded. A bigger shower for what you are paying for please, that's part of the experience of the hotel room, a great shower!

The curtain rods in the room. In the junior suite you have to pull these curtains apart or together with a rod, the amount of times that thing banged me square on in the head! Ouch, it had a life of its own. The only other gripe and it's sort of a monetary rather than quality issue is the breakfast. I really don't think £18.50 is what this breakfast is worth. It's nice and tasty but like any full breakfast, by the time you have had it, you don't always want to go back up and have cereals, fruit and toast etc. I HAD to go up and keep getting extra as I wanted my money's worth. A fried breakfast and coffee is not worth £18.50!

These little gripes of course were overshadowed by the whole experience, which was really rather good actually.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review, i will share your comments with our team. I will of course follow up with your comments made about the showers, please rest assured that this will be addressed. If breakfast is booked in advance then this can be purchased for reduction cost. I am pleased that your stay with was thoroughly enjoyed.

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Just returned after staying at The St. David's Hotel and Spa in Cardiff Bay for a Corporate meeting. Lovely Hotel and fantastic facilities. Beautiful room with balconly overlooking Cardiff Bay. Very well positioned and close to lots of restaurants and bars. Have to give a huge thanks to the friendly staff who were really incredible. Simply delightful and would love to visit again...

Room Tip: Try to make sure that you have a Balcony which faces Cardiff Bay and beyond...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review on the St David's Hotel & Marine Spa. It was encouraging to read that our staff here were incredible to you and very friendly. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Pros...
Fab balcony off each room I think. We had one facing Mermaid Quay and it was great. Could do with chairs out there though.
Breakfast was varied and hot. All good.
Nice comfy 6ft bed. Anyone who reads my reviews knows how important that is to us.
Location brilliant short walk to Mermaid Quay with an abundance of restaurants so no taxi required. Lovely outlook from restaurant pool and rooms.
Pool and spa area was great.
Cons...
Dinner menu was just too expensive for us and we have enough money to treat ourselves and get dressed up. Perhaps offer a fixed price menu everyone is doing it these days. Keep your residents in the hotel.
Parking is £15 a day. Ouch!
TV in the bedroom is fixed to the wall but over in the corner so hard to watch lying in bed.
Staff friendly and helpful. Having just stayed in the Old Windsor hotel in the group today I cannot believe the difference in standards. Would go again just sad it's so far from home!

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for your review on the St. David's Hotel & Marine Spa. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We do offer a Set Menu as well as our A La Carte menu. It is very encouraging to read that our staff were friendly and helpful. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Andreas M.Maszczyk.
Solihull
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We arrived to a friendly greeting and were shown to our room even though we were a couple of hours early. The location is stunning and the room provided great views of Cardiff bay.
We had booked a table in the restaurant and had a superb meal - I can really recommend the Brecon Venison. Once again the service was really friendly.
Breakfast was really good and all the hot ingredients were refreshed regularly.There was a good selection of hot and cold food and it was tempting to eat far too much.
After a day's sightseeing we took advantage of the spa which provided an excellent pool, waterfall and Jacuzzi that were thoroughly refreshing.
On our second morning we took breakfast on the terrace in glorious sunshine and discussed our only regret - that we hadn't booked for longer!

Room Tip: The higher the better for the best views
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much fir your review on the St. David's Hotel & Marine Spa. I am pleased overall your stay with us exceeded your your expectations. I will share your comments with my team. I do hope you return sometime in the near future.