“Views of the Bay to die for with a great panorama” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The St. David's Hotel

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #16 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“Views of the Bay to die for with a great panorama”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Having visited Cardiff on a number of occasions in recent times we wouldn't stay anywhere else. The structure is impressive and the position overlooking the bay unbeatable. On one occasion we were fortunate enough to be upgraded to a suite with views in all directions and every facility in the room you could wish for. The staff could not have been more obliging and the concierge team are as good as any in the UK. They are alert, helpful and will do anything they can to ensure your stay works well. I think it always helps if you have visited a hotel several times and the staff get to recognise you - on the last occasion we were waved off!

Breakfast is a bit of a bun fight but has all you need - they do have some excellent musicians in the restaurant/bar on certain nights and we have dined in the restaurant - the problem being there is such a wealth of restaurants around there is massive competition. Nonetheless room service and the menu is excellent - a delay on one occasion meant the bill was zero'd. That's why you go back - thoughtful!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Thank you for your review on the St. David’s Hotel & Marine Spa. I am pleased you stay once again was very enjoyable and our staff are always helpful to you. I would like to thank you for your enjoyment of the hospitality we have on during the evenings. We look forward to your return in the near future.

Andreas M. Maszczyk.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (817)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Visited this hotel on bank holiday Monday redeeming a gift voucher I received off my brother as a Xmas present. The package was what we realised was the treat your partner package. One nights stay, champagne and chocs in upgraded delux room on arrival, use of spa facilities, 3 course evening meal with a bottle of wine and full welsh breakfast the following morning.
From the moment we arrived our disappointment grew. Checked in fine, up to room, what a shock. Not a 5 star hotel at all. This may have once been when opened but the run down worn decor and furniture is shabby to say the least. Carpets are dirty and worn, the bed and curtains stained. Coffee mug marks on bedside table and a chair that looked terrible. Uncovered chocolates and strawberries waiting for us on arrival and a fly in the room prompting my girlfriend to bin them immediately in case it had been on them. No champagne in site either which I had to phone down for. Having waited for room service to bring it for half hour we decided to go on down to spa. Nice facility but needed to be cleaned. Floors around poolside were covered in hair and tiling green with grime. With a better cleaning schedule this could be a very nice attraction. Returning to our room the bottle of cheap fizzy plonk had arrived.

Next came the 3 course evening meal. Read the small print when booking this package. It doesn't actually mention it but still, you have a set 3 course menu of not the most attractive dishes to choose from or £30 per head off the main menu. Bearing in mind that starters ranged from £7-£9.50 and the cheapest steak was £25 you'l be spending a bit on top of the already paid for package.

For what was supposed to be a special occasion we continually had to remind the hotel of what we had booked in the package. On leaving the restaurant we were
Firstly asked to pay for the whole meal and our wine, then simply the wine and water, then to be told the wine was not in the package, which it was as the package was bought last year, (this years package is minus the wine with the meal) . We ended up paying for just a bottle of still water at £4.50.

Breakfast was the only saving grace of the deal. Lovely selection of foods and great start to the day.

On exit it crept back to negative though. Reception tried charging us for the wine again from last night. Charged £15 for the car park and sent us on our way.

All in all be aware that if you are booking for a special occasion or thinking of booking a plush 5 star hotel then this is not for you. They need some serious reinvestment and cleaning to bring it back up to that standard. We will not be staying there again and my my brother was extremely gutted it was not what he had hoped as a gift.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rhysgj
Thank you for your review. Firstly may I express my sincere apologies with the shortfalls during your stay. I will speak to my team and check standards are improved with immediate effect. I do hope in the near future we can welcome you back to St. David’s to witness the ongoing refurbishment plans.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Decided to take my girlfriend for a nice weekend of shopping, food and drinks in our capital city. Having stayed in quite a few hotels in Cardiff City centre previously and never at St David's, I wanted something special for her and a what I thought would give a bit of the wow factor, given it was one of the only 5 star hotels in the City. We didn't get any of that unfortunately.

Firstly, outside. Looking at the building from the distance of the link road as you approach, it looks an impressive modern building. While it is, close up, the windows and outside could do with a really good clean seeing as it's all white. It just looks very dirty.

Next, the reception/foyer. When we have stayed in 5 star hotels abroad and you walk into the foyer/reception area, they give you a great first impression - quite opulent and inviting when you walk in. This was bare, grubby (look down at the dirt build up between the two reception desks) and looks and feels very tired.

The room. Deluxe king with a bay view. Got to the room and the door was ajar. No cleaner, just a door that sticks and took a bit of force to close. Clearly it hadn't shut after cleaning - luckily we spotted this before going out. I'll be honest, I've stayed in better Premier Inn rooms. The furniture was marked/scuffed, the leather chair was extremely well used with some of the leather worn right through. The carpet has numerous stains on it. And the bathroom was well, a bog standard, dated bathroom with no style about it.

We cannot say anything about the restaurant as we were eating out. We didn't use the spa either.

Overall, this is a well worn hotel and now very dated compared to some of the offerings in Cardiff. I would recommend the Raddison Blu, Parc Thistle or the Park Plaza over St David's without question. I have no problem spending £135 on a room for luxury hotel stay with my partner, but for £80, I could have stayed in a far more central location with a pretty much brand new room and facilities.

St David's has a lovely location and some nice views over the bay, but honestly, save your money and stay in the city and one of the numerous other hotels.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kevin S
Thank you for your review. Firstly may I express my sincere apologies if you felt leaving disappointed in regards of the bedroom, I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future and whiteness our ongoing investments. I will speak to my team and check standards are improved with immediate effect.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

We loved this hotel, our room was spacious, reasonably priced, comfortable bed... However, the best bit was the friendly staff; they were all fantastic, from the reception/concierge to restaurant staff, and all the pool/spa staff were brilliant too. The pool is clean, spacious, good facilities. We would definitely stay here again.

The breakfast and lunch we had were also outstanding - and reasonably priced!

Excellent!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Thank you for your review. I am delighted overall you enjoyed your stay here at the St. David’s Hotel and Marine Spa. I will of course share your feedback and kind comments on the service you received by our team. We look forward to your return in the near future.

Llanelli, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Very nice view, welcoming staff, good entertainment and lovely food in restaurant. Pampered in the Spa - only problem the weather but it is Wales after all.

Room very clean and tidy, concierge very helpful with any requirements.

Air Conditioning a bit noisy like most hotels.

Room Tip: Better view the higher you are.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. I am pleased overall you enjoyed your stay here at the St David’s Hotel and Marine Spa. I will of course share your feedback with our team. We look forward to your return in the near future.

London, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Spent the day at the spa together with a friend - and what a let down !

Many years ago - when Rocco Forte owned the hotel - it was everything you would expect from a 5-star property. However its new owners have not maintained these standards and nowadays it is an extremely tired property and certainly NOT worthy of a 5-star status.

The spa - which is still being advertised as having a salt water system - instead reeks of chlorine - and it is impossible to actually sit around the pool for more than a few minutes before this overpowering chlorine smell sends you elsewhere in search of a more relaxing environment. It was more reminiscent of a public swimming baths ( together with noisy children shrieking in the pool) than a luxury spa environment.

There are also not enough loungers in the pool area; we counted a total of 11 chairs for a clientele of at least twice that number - which meant you had to constantly play 'musical chairs' in an attempt to even find somewhere to sit !

The upstairs coffee lounge has a lovely view out over the water - but a rather odd mix of leatherette chairs and fabric sofas - which, by mid- afternoon, were soaking wet from people sitting around in their bathing suits while they waited to be called for treatments.

The pool area is tired and rather dirty; there were a lot of cracked and missing tiles and a particularly delightful scum line the whole way round one hydro pool ..... There were also areas of peeling paint and scuff marks and the spa really needs to be closed down and renovated before it deserves to be called a luxury 5-star spa.

The majority of lockers in the changing room don't work (we had to move lockers three times before we could find one which would lock) and when we reported this to staff were told that this was an old problem !!

There was also only one hair dryer and no additional sockets in the changing area to allow you to use additional hair equipment - NOT what I expected at all

It seems that the current owners (Principal Hotels) have invested no money at all in the maintenance of this hotel - instead choosing to trade on past glories and the good reputation that Forte garnered when they ran St David's .........and this is simply not good enough

Plus points - the staff are all delightful and do everything they can to please - but they are let down by a management which seems hell bent on saving money in every area it can

I would certainly NOT recommend this spa and will find other places to go in future. What a disappointment !!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank srhmbe
Thank you for your review. Firstly may I express my sincere apologies with certain elements during your spa day did not meet your expectations. I have noted your comments I will share with our spa manager and please rest assured I will personally investigate further. I do hope in the near future we can welcome you back to St. David’s.

UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

I have stayed at this hotel on several occassions in the past and enjoyed it but there has been a big decline recently. This is not a 5 star hotel anymore and is over priced. The exterior is shabby and run down. The rooms need re-painting and upgrading. The best part is the view. The rooms are on a par with the holiday inn express!!!!

We had afternoon tea at the location and this was the worst I have ever had!! The scones were like rocks and the seagulls didnt want them. The spa also needs a good clean as there was mould every where.

Not worth the money and its just above 3 star hotel at best. Go somewhere else if you want 5 star accomodation.

• Stayed May 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HURDLER1
Thank you for your review. Firstly may I express my sincere apologies with certain elements during your stay not meet your expectations. I have noted your comments in regards of afternoon tea and will share with our team and please rest assured I will personally investigate further. I do hope in the near future we can welcome you back to St. David’s.