“V.Good Hotel”

Ranked #16 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Wirral
“V.Good Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Great stay only fault is the place is starting to look a little dated
Staff were excellent and the valet parking and concierge is a bonus
Stayed in a suite which wasn't the best but had the benefit of two balconies overlooking Cardiff Bay
As a recommendation also visited the nearby restaurant in Pentrath called Pier which was outstanding and highly recommended
Would defo stay again

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank GoodyWirral
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thanks for taking the time to post a review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Your kind comments have been passed on to the team and are much appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Andreas Maszczyk, General Manager
The St David's Hotel & Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (832)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Bournemouth-UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I'm very pleased to say that my experience of this hotel is limited to a brief visit for drinks overlooking the bay. 5 Star hotel it may be but the price they charged for drinks was absolutely outrageous. Lovely views over the bay area and the bar staff were excellent but quite frankly to be charged £10.95 for a glass of wine is nothing short of daylight robbery...or, as the old saying goes "...at least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask". Talk about taking people for a ride.

Sorry St David's - I enjoyed my drink but this would be the last place I would ever recommend to anyone else and it's certainly one place I won't be coming back to.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Rob-Lyn
Thank you for your comments which I have had the opportunity to investigate. A glass of wine in our Tempus bar starts at £4.25 and depends on the bin and the size of the glass. A glass of wine costing the amount you paid was for a large glass of a specific bin.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Beautiful hotel. We stayed 2 nights, did not have food in the hotel but had an afternoon tea (tip: don't have lunch, fill up at breakfast and return for afternoon tea at 3, you won't want an evening meal either!). Staff really pleasant and the whole hotel clean and tidy. Spa lovely too, but there is a VERY nasty step up to and down into the ladies showers (don't know if this is the case in the mens!) it's tiled and the same colour as the floor tiles, there's no warning signs and my Mum tripped and fell onto the glass shower enclosures. It's a wonder she wasn't more than just badly bruised on her arm. She didn't want to complain though. Only other issue was room service just before we left - simply wanted a lemonade after a funny turn and it took 40mins+ to arrive and after a call down to query where it was. Then the chap waited for a tip! As for the £15 parking we planned ahead and got the train into the bay and walked - it's a bit longer than we expected and at least it was dry, but perhaps a taxi from Central wouldn't cost the £30 we would have paid in parking? Just a thought.
Stunning hotel though and would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Amber16ratm
Thank you for your review. I am delighted you are planning your next trip back to us however I am terribly sorry to hear your mother had a fall and I do trust this was reported to staff accordingly, and that she is now fully recovered.

Your afternoon tea recommendation is much appreciated and your kind comments have been passed to the team.

A warm welcome awaits your return.

The St David's Hotel & Spa
Lancashire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We booked a one-night Saturday stay in a Master Suite, with extra for breakfast. The room was excellent in terms of size and layout, with views over the bay in all directions. The bathroom was a generous size also. Overall the hotel seemed a little dated (late 90's) and is in need of a revamp. Some of the furniture in the room or the walls were dirty and could do with a little more care and attention from the hotel.

The food for dinner was good (we ate in our room), but I found breakfast a little less good quality (the meat and sausage seemed cheap) but the pastries and other elements were good.

Finally, when you have spent £170 on a one night stay with breakfast I feel slightly annoyed to pay £15 to park.

Room Tip: Go for the best you can afford, for the difference the Master Suite is worth it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Haburiboy
Thank you for your review and I am delighted you enjoyed the room and location of our hotel.

Your further comments have been noted and your feedback is appreciated.

We hope to see you again soon.

Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Once you get passed the ugly exterior, this is a great hotel. It is clean, uncluttered and spacious and this is reflected in the rooms. Our room had a splendid view of the Bay and we could have sat there for hours just looking out through the huge window. Very restful. The bed comfortable and the AC worked well. The bathroom was similarly clean, uncluttered and spacious. Complimentary drinks-making and toiletries were replenished next day.
Best of all are the staff - as everyone says, they are all very professional - friendly, courteous and very, very helpful.
We didn't dine in the hotel, but breakfast (waiting staff were great) was only average with over-cooked and tasteless sausages and bacon, and under-cooked tomatoes - hardly worth £12 (although the orange juice and coffee were better than the average hotel breakfast). Late lunch (a bar meal) was a forgettable (I hope) steak and ale pie - the meat was dry and overcooked and drowned in a tomato-flavored gravy (couldn't taste the steak or ale). It did make us glad that we had dinner elsewhere.
Our biggest niggle (like many others) is the disgraceful £15 per night car parking fee.
We'll certainly go back for the location, the ambience and the staff - in spite of the food and car parking.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheLesserMerlin
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us. Firstly, may I express my sincere apologies if your expectations were not met in regards of your lunch please rest assured I will address this with our Head Chef to improve the recipe. However it was encouraging that all staff you came in contact with was professional and courteous throughout your stay. We look forward to your return in the near future.

Mirissa, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I had a spa package bought for me as a surprise. I had a facial treatment and my boyfriend had a body massage. Both treatments were amazing and the staff were very friendly. My skin felt amazing after the facial but then I came out in a rash all over my face which lasted a few days. It must have been an allergy to the products but this isn't the spa's fault and couldnt have really been prevented as I wasnt aware I had allergys.
we enjoyed hot drinks relaxing with views over the water before enjoying the pool and spa facilties. The day ended with dinner in the restaurant, which was beautiful. A great gift.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank nata1ie1984
Thank you for your review on the Marine Spa. I am pleased to read that you spa day exceeded your expectations. I do hope you are feeling better since the rash has developed on your skin. We look forward to your return in the near future.

Kind regards
Dalkeith, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

Just had the best time in this fantastic hotel everyone down from managers to cleaners waiting staff absolutely great helpful and genuine !
Would go back in a heartbeat
Thank you Michele and her team for your hospitality

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank nunontherun_13
Thank you for your review on the St. David’s Hotel & Marine Spa. I am delighted your stay here was so enjoyable. Thank you for your special mention I will of course share this with our team. We look forward to your return in the near future.