“Good night at this hotel”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #16 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Stayed with my husband on a Monday night found a deal for £99.00 on booking .com decide to up grade to the deluxe room for an extra £22.00 found that we did not have the bottle of free fizz on arrival had to go to reception and ask for it.
Had a good time using the facilities in the spa before going into the bay for food did not have breakfast as they wanted an extra £12.00 each , did not realise the carparking was going to cost £15.00 for the stay till we checked out I a bit of a rip off indead ,otherwise we had a good time will deofinslty stay again but only if I get a deal on this hotel

Room Tip: 615 for a good view
1  Thank jahne k
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Thank you so much for your review. I am pleased your stay with us at the St. David’s Hotel & Marine Spa was enjoyable and you made use of our Marine Spa facilities. We look forward to your return soon.

Andreas M. Maszczyk.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stayed one night in the hotel, very good experience and we enjoyed it. Car park was full when we arrived so we had to use the pay and display next door, same price as the hotel though so that was fine. Agree with other comments though, I think the hotel could offer free parking with the prices they charge.
The reception area was a bit disappointing for me, clinical and a bit tired with a strong smell of chlorine. Staff were good though and very friendly.
We had a junior suite and were extremely pleased with the room. It was very spacious with one glass wall one side and a big balcony on the other. We had great views of the wetlands and the bay. The room had very comfy bed, nice touches like cookies and chocolate and large bathroom with Moulton Brown products.
We opted out of breakfast, plenty of cafés etc around. The location is great for dining out in the evening too, numerous great places.
The pool was gorgeous and jacuzzi too, all very luxurious.
We loved staying here, would recommend and will be back.

3  Thank Joy S
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you so much for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay, and particularly the location and great views that St David's has to offer. Your comments regarding the room and the amenities are much appreciated and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I have stayed at this hotel before, when it was much newer and whilst the minimalist style may not be to everyone's taste, I liked it.

A couple of years have passed since this visit and the hotel has not worn well. Everything in the room is 'a bit shabby' and looks dated. The entire room (416) could do with a complete makeover, which I heard they are in the process of doing, but no quickly enough.

The staff were all good, particularly reception and the meal we had in the restaurant was ok. Not great, but nothing to complain about.

The only frustrating point was our need to leave straight after breakfast to get home for a birthday. We were charged £15 for the car park and found that the hotel had blocked our car in with four other cars 'because they were busy'. It took the concierge and a couple of other staff 30 minutes to find the keys to the other cars and move them. This may seem minor, but we were in a hurry, this is a 5-star hotel and we were being charged for this very poor arrangement.

All in all, I would use a different hotel in Cardiff as The St David's is too expensive and not up to a good enough standard.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Darren W

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear of the issue with the car park on your departure and I will investigate this further with my front of house team. In the meantime I am pleased that you enjoyed the service offered by the team.

I can confirm we are currently undergoing a refurbishment project and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future to witness our ongoing investment.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Great stay only fault is the place is starting to look a little dated
Staff were excellent and the valet parking and concierge is a bonus
Stayed in a suite which wasn't the best but had the benefit of two balconies overlooking Cardiff Bay
As a recommendation also visited the nearby restaurant in Pentrath called Pier which was outstanding and highly recommended
Would defo stay again

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank GoodyWirral

Thanks for taking the time to post a review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Your kind comments have been passed on to the team and are much appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Andreas Maszczyk, General Manager
The St David's Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I'm very pleased to say that my experience of this hotel is limited to a brief visit for drinks overlooking the bay. 5 Star hotel it may be but the price they charged for drinks was absolutely outrageous. Lovely views over the bay area and the bar staff were excellent but quite frankly to be charged £10.95 for a glass of wine is nothing short of daylight robbery...or, as the old saying goes "...at least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask". Talk about taking people for a ride.

Sorry St David's - I enjoyed my drink but this would be the last place I would ever recommend to anyone else and it's certainly one place I won't be coming back to.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Rob-Lyn

Thank you for your comments which I have had the opportunity to investigate. A glass of wine in our Tempus bar starts at £4.25 and depends on the bin and the size of the glass. A glass of wine costing the amount you paid was for a large glass of a specific bin.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Beautiful hotel. We stayed 2 nights, did not have food in the hotel but had an afternoon tea (tip: don't have lunch, fill up at breakfast and return for afternoon tea at 3, you won't want an evening meal either!). Staff really pleasant and the whole hotel clean and tidy. Spa lovely too, but there is a VERY nasty step up to and down into the ladies showers (don't know if this is the case in the mens!) it's tiled and the same colour as the floor tiles, there's no warning signs and my Mum tripped and fell onto the glass shower enclosures. It's a wonder she wasn't more than just badly bruised on her arm. She didn't want to complain though. Only other issue was room service just before we left - simply wanted a lemonade after a funny turn and it took 40mins+ to arrive and after a call down to query where it was. Then the chap waited for a tip! As for the £15 parking we planned ahead and got the train into the bay and walked - it's a bit longer than we expected and at least it was dry, but perhaps a taxi from Central wouldn't cost the £30 we would have paid in parking? Just a thought.
Stunning hotel though and would definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Amber16ratm

Thank you for your review. I am delighted you are planning your next trip back to us however I am terribly sorry to hear your mother had a fall and I do trust this was reported to staff accordingly, and that she is now fully recovered.

Your afternoon tea recommendation is much appreciated and your kind comments have been passed to the team.

A warm welcome awaits your return.

The St David's Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We booked a one-night Saturday stay in a Master Suite, with extra for breakfast. The room was excellent in terms of size and layout, with views over the bay in all directions. The bathroom was a generous size also. Overall the hotel seemed a little dated (late 90's) and is in need of a revamp. Some of the furniture in the room or the walls were dirty and could do with a little more care and attention from the hotel.

The food for dinner was good (we ate in our room), but I found breakfast a little less good quality (the meat and sausage seemed cheap) but the pastries and other elements were good.

Finally, when you have spent £170 on a one night stay with breakfast I feel slightly annoyed to pay £15 to park.

Room Tip: Go for the best you can afford, for the difference the Master Suite is worth it.
1  Thank Haburiboy

Thank you for your review and I am delighted you enjoyed the room and location of our hotel.

Your further comments have been noted and your feedback is appreciated.

We hope to see you again soon.