“Not 5 Star”

Ranked #15 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Not 5 Star”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My daughter booked this room as a special birthday surprise, the day before we arrived she received a call from the hotel telling her they would try and upgrade her. On check in we were told we had been upgraded to a master suite,which was a nice surprise but when we queried the room after seeing it the receptionist told us quite rudely we had got what we paid for which was a junior suite. The room was very tired with graffiti on the wardrobe door and fluffy pillows and throw on the bed that we think we got bites from :( Breakfast was good but long waits when asking for ice in our room from room service.We enjoyed the spa on both days of our stay but certain staff members on reception need customer service training. Definately not a 5 star hotel. We enjoyed the spa but not enough to make a return visit to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for your review. Firstly may I express my sincere apologies with certain elements during your stay did not meet your expectations.

I have noted your comments I will share with our Reception & spa manager and please rest assured I will personally investigate further.

I can also confirm we are currently undergoing a refurbishment project and I do hope in the near future we can welcome you back to St. David’s.

Andreas Maszczyk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (849)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed 2 nights midweek
Room on 7th floor bay side wonderful views ... Clean replenished tea coffee soap ect
Fluffy towels could have been a little more fluffy... Only negative no table chairs on balcony to enjoy the sunshine and have room service .... Door sop would have been useful to for patio door. But all in all a very pleasant experience

• Stayed July 2014
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review, I am glad to hear you had chance to enjoy our wonderful views and in-room refreshments. I have also taken note of your other comments and will pass them on.

Thank you again and we look forward to your future visits.

Kind regards
The St David’s Hotel & Spa
Peoria, Arizona
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Had a recently refurbished room with a great view of the bay for 2 nights. Very Nice! Staff on reception all very helpful and friendly. Would give 5 stars but coffee service in the room was not properly replenished the second day and there is no mini bar in the rooms. Used the pool which was great but water in the jacuzzi should be hotter. Fatal flaw is difficult internet access. Staff did give us 24 hrs free due to the problems, but wifi really should be free in a place of this caliber. I think if they would pay attention to a few details, could definitely be 5 stars. We did not try the food, so no comment on that.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cbergland
Thank you for leaving us feedback, I will pass on your kind comments to our reception team they will be delighted.

Our housekeeping team is happy to provide fridges in the room on request.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards

The St David’s Hotel & Spa
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is an impressive landmark in Cardiff Bay - a contemporary hotel right on the water. The views are fantastic. Rooms are modern, with bright furnishings and lots of light. White Company "Flowers" toiletries. It has a great spa and a wonderful 15 metre pool open from about 0630 to 1030. The staff are friendly and efficient, and there's a restaurant on the ground floor overlooking the Bay. Very good contemporary British food, some locally sourced. It's also the location for breakfast which was excellent - an extensive buffet.

But there are some downsides. It's very expensive - I paid £275 bed and breakfast for a double room. Irritatingly, they only provide 1 hour of free wifi - and I found access very difficult. I don't think there's any public transport - the hotel is part way round the bay so a taxi or private transport is essential. And the hotel is starting to show its age - the bathrooms could be freshened up a touch.

Overall, a fantastic location, impressive contemporary architecture, friendly staff and a great spa, but it could do with a bit of a refresh to merit the price. And why no free wifi?

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for you review, it’s a pleasure to hear you enjoyed your stay with us here at The St Davids Hotel & Marine Spa. I have also taken you comments into consideration.

We look forward to your return in the near future.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

St Davids, definitely noes not deserve its 5 star rating. Extremely disappointed have had nicer rooms at £29 !!. Stains on carpet, screws on headboard, furniture worn and dirty looking. Bathroom, really disappointing.
Have made views known to Hotel, so I hope others do not have the same experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank margaret t
Thank you for your review. I note your comments and can confirm that we are currently undergoing a refurbishment project which includes updating the bedrooms and bathrooms in line with the expectations you would have of St David's.

I do hope you return to us in the near future to witness the refurbishment.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We visited in June 2014 for a 'Spa Champagne afternoon tea' package. We didn't stay overnight.

I've been lucky enough to visit the spa a few times, and have never had an experience that's been less than fantastic. I'd never tried the afternoon tea before - it gets really mixed reviews online, and some friends of mine had a not-so-great tea experience there last year, so I've tended to it avoid in favour if some of my other old faithfuls.

We arrived at the spa reception at about 10 am, and were quickly booked in and made to feel welcome by the ladies behind the desk. We got changed into our swimwear and the robes and slippers that were provided, and decided that we'd like a drink before using the pool area, so went upstairs to the treatment waiting area .

The hotel provides complimentary fruit, tea (regular and herbal) and coffee, water, and fruit juice for spa guests, which is a nice touch, but could be better executed. The 'fruit' juice is from concentrate and from a machine, the milk for the tea and coffee is UHT and in individual plastic packaged servings, and there are no glasses for the water, only flimsy disposable plastic cups. None of this feels at all '5 star', and wouldn't take a lot to to fix. It would also be nice to have some citrus slices to go with the water.

The pool is small but lovely. It has the same amazing views as the waiting area upstairs , and is flooded with lovely natural light. The temperature is usually spot on (i.e. it doesn't feel either too hot or too cold), and it doesn't dry your skin or or have you leaving smelling like a council pool, which is a huge plus in my opinion.

The jacuzzi is HUGE, and again usually the right temperature.

All in all, the pool area is great. But it's not perfect. It's starting to show signs of wear and tear (when we were there, one of the screens between the lazy river and the pool was missing, and one of the entrances to the pool was roped off. There's no steam room, something I would expect in a 5 star hotel that promotes itself as having a 'spa', and the sauna is long and VERY thin which makes it feel cramped an awkward to use. There's also not nearly enough seating at the poolside.

We were called for our treatments on time, and my therapist, Amanda, introduced herself by name and showed me to her room. She ran through a standard health check with me, explained the treatment, then left me alone for a few minutes to get settled and comfortable. Once she returned, my treatment got started promptly. I was REALLY impressed. I like a fairly firm massage, and this was exactly what I needed and wanted. By the end of the treatment I felt very 'straight' and about 2 inches taller.

The hotel serves tea between 2pm and 5pm. I'd suggest that starting the service at 2.30 instead may be useful - when we arrived a few minutes before two, the atmosphere felt chaotic, with staff trying to finish the lunch service whilst also seating guests for tea, and lots of patrons arriving and leaving at the same time.

The host had no record of our booking, which didn't exactly inspire confidence, and at first tried to redirect us to the room where the spa day lunches are served. I was pretty sure we were in the right place though, so she asked us to take a seat in the bar while she tracked down our booking. We waited less than 5 minutes before we were seated.

Once we were seated, we were left unattended for a little longer than I felt was acceptable. It seemed like everyone for tea service had arrived at the same time - including two large groups - and the staff were struggling to cope with this as well as finishing the lunch service. Once the staff found their rhythm, however, the service was good.

We were brought our champagne first. My friend doesn't drink, so we asked for glasses of water. After a bit of a wait, and asking for a second time, these were brought. We also asked at this point for a dirty teaspoon to be replaced, which was done immediately.

We were then brought a selection of teas to smell and decide which we'd like to try. The server was friendly and helpful, and said if we didn't like our choices we were welcome to sample as many of the teas as we wanted to. We chose the English breakfast and the spiced chai. We enjoyed both of them.

Both members of our party are vegetarian, so when we'd checked in at the spa in the morning, I'd asked for vegetarian sandwiches. As the restaurant hadn't had a record of our booking, I was pretty sure they wouldn't have had the message, so I repeated it to our waitress. She came back a short while later to confirm that we both eat cheese and egg (which we both do) and to ask if either of us ate fish (1 yes, 1 no). Our food arrived a short time later, with the salmon salmon sandwich for the fish eater plated separately to keep itaway from the vegetarian items - a really nice and thoughtful touch.

I'd read some reviews online that complained of soggy sandwiches and stale scones, thankfully our experience didn't match this. The scones (and everything else), were fresh and beautifully presented. The servings were generous and more than enough for two people. We ate at a leisurely pace, and although we were asked at regular intervals if everything was OK, and if we would like more tea, etc, we never felt rushed. We couldn't finish everything, and when the staff were sure that we were finished, the remaining cakes were boxed up beautifully and given to us to take home.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. I am Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit at the Marine Spa and had a leisurely afternoon tea.

I will pass on your kind words to Amanda who will be delighted.

Your further comments have been noted and will be shared with the team.

Once again thank you for your review and I hope we can welcome you back soon.

The St David's Hotel & Spa
London
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Whilst the hotel is quite interesting and imposing architecturally and has a wonderful location on the bay, I was disappointed on several levels. 1stly there are no mini bars in the standard rooms, I had asked for an e upgrade but they were fully booked so upon arrival it wasn't possible.

It took over half an hour for room service to deliver an ice bucket and required a reminder. 2ndly despite being a funky(ish) modern hotel there were no ipod docks in the room, again I had to ask for one to be delivered up to the room, but at least they had one.

3rdly the TV volume is set not to go above a certain level, this was very low and I could hardly hear the music on MTV.

4thly no shaving point in the rather unfashionably decked out bathroom and hair in the sink upon arrival and towels not folded neatly on the towel rail.

finally the weather was nice but no seats tor or loungers to utilise the nice balcony

the room we had was nice and spacious and the bed super comfortable but the décor was a bit tired and very unfashionable now and it all felt a bit tired and subsequently over priced.

The breakfast was great and the staff very nice and smiley and helpful. The gym is fine and the pools very nice indeed.

Room Tip: Hard to say as we had the classic room (cheapest) We were on the 7th floor the top with fab views o...