The St. David's Hotel
US$106
Hilton Cardiff(Cardiff)
US$184
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$85
  • Breakfast included
Jurys Inn Cardiff(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$89
US$80
US$89
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$94
  • Room Service
Future Inn Cardiff Bay(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$88
US$85
Orbitz.com
Novotel Cardiff Centre(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$105
US$97
US$101
US$87
4,131 results
All reviewsmaster suitecardiff bayoverlooking the bayspa facilitieson arrivalmermaid quaythe hotel car parkpay and displayfloor to ceiling windowsrobes and slippersafternoon tearelaxation roombirthday treatan upgradewelsh cakesbars and restaurantslovely room
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Unfortunately the only thing going for this hotel is its position. Do not come expecting luxury and 5 star as per their website. It is certainly not luxurious and even completely revamped, which it desperately needs, would only warrant a medium 4 star, in our opinion.

I booked three double rooms with breakfast here for two nights for our elder daughter's graduation ceremony at the Millennium Centre, which is a convenient ten minute walk away. We checked in early evening and I explained to the helpful receptionist, one of the rooms would not be checking in now until the following lunchtime due to illness. I knew we could not get a refund as I booked non refundable rate rooms. I asked if a selection of sandwiches and cold drinks could be prepared the following day for our guests and left in their room for their lunchtime arrival, as they would have been travelling all morning then rushing on to the ceremony. All details were taken, but did the sandwiches appear for our guests the next day?....No.

We went to the bar and ordered cocktails, we all decided on their 'Hugo' cocktail which was advertised on posters in the lift as well as in the bar, but could we order it?....No, because they had run out of mint (local large supermarkets are minutes away...stocking mint...maybe someone should have been sent on a mission as soon as stocks were getting low?!) So we opted for other cocktails, but I have to say some of them at £14.95 per cocktail and nothing special, were on the steep side. Bar service very pleasant but very slow. We then ordered a selection of food. The prawns arrived minus the accompanying chilli sauce...yes, they had run out of that too! The squid was a burnt toast brown colour and very unappetising, the rest of the food was just ok. 5 star? from our experience, definitely not. The following night, room service was ordered from one of our rooms, but most of the food on offer on the menu was apparently not available (there's a surprise!) so our guests resorted to asking, what the kitchen actually did have, that could be ordered.

Our bedrooms overlooked the bay and had wonderful views (we were on the 6th floor) but the old furry scatter cushions and matching throw adorning our bed were very matted and bedraggled looking, really unattractive and left you wondering what might be lurking in there! Beds comfy with good clean white linen. The rest of the facilities in the bedroom were just ok. Good balconies from the bedrooms but they need a couple of chairs out there so you can sit and admire the view.
Breakfast was fine, not a huge selection but adequate choice. The restaurant occupies a lovely position which enables you to see all around the bay.

On the journey home I realised that I had left my iPhone and iPad mini cables in the bedroom. I called and was put through to lost and found. The lady I spoke to said she would go and look, then called back to say yes, they were still in the bedroom. Can you post them onto me please, I asked? Yes, but there is a £5 charge. Astonished, as these items are tiny and weigh about as much as a peanut. I said we had just stayed for two nights and paid for three rooms, and really not happy that you are going to charge to do this. I was told that if I refused to pay it would be marked on my profile (not sure what she meant by that, but it didn't sound good or friendly!) I said that's fine and she hung up. 5 star treatment? Don't think so!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Jane S
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

We are pleased that you enjoyed the hotel's unique setting but I was disappointed to read your comments and I am sorry to read that certain elements of your stay did not meet your expectations. Please be assured your comments will be discussed and addressed with my Management team.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We booked this hotel direct and not through any third party system and we had been looking forward as we had chosen a Junior Suite two nights as we were going to see War Horse and thought it would be nice to relax. Upon arrival we were informed quite tersely that our room was not ready and as the hotel was fully booked we would have to wait. Our number was taken so that they could contact us when we could move in. We waited and waited and waited and it seems that everyone was booking in and out room was still not ready. When enquiring that we were still waiting we were informed that it was still not ready and we had to wait. Eventually after waiting for almost three hours, someone to sort out another room as ours was still not ready. They found one, even though they were full! As this was on a lower floor we said we would wait until out 6th floor suite was ready, within minutes it was.
During this time of waiting we ordered some tea and coffee, which took almost 15 minutes before it arrived. The restaurant was almost empty, how long does it take to make tea and coffee. After paying £8 I was not best pleased to say the least.
We were taken up to our suite which was made up of a nice bathroom, and large bedroom, the lounge consisted of a couch, small table and chairs hid behind a curtain, one cushion one tv and a desk. No bottles of water were in the room. No free wifi either. The only good things were the view, which was outstanding across the Bay and the bed which was very comfortable.
The spa was clean and bright and the changing rooms were pleasant and everything worked well. The pool was clean and not too cold and the sauna, despite being quite large was hot and working well. The Jacuzzi area was a little strange and you had to be very able bodied to enjoy it having to climb numerous steps to get there and then having to crawl on your hands and knees to enjoy some of the areas. If you are not able bodied then you may not be able to take advantage of everything in the spa.
The only outstanding element of the breakfast was the price £18.50, I was glad that I had incorporated this in the total cost of the booking which brought it down to £12 each, even then it was hard to see where the exceptional cost was, it certainly was not in the service. Whilst we were having breakfast we overheard a manager sating that the standards have dropped and that they must improve! To be fair the second morning was slightly better. The service we received from Natalie (I think that was her name) was great, very welcoming and smiling. A pity the others could not take a leaf out of her book.
Upon returning to the hotel on the second day we were confronted by around 5police sniffer dogs checking the hotel several police officers checking the rooms. When enquiring we were informed its just routine, just who were they trying to kid! Treat us with some respect. We later discovered that an official visitor was due that day to attend a charity event.
That evening we visited the Wales Millennium Centre to watch War Horse, Very well done and would recommend a visit to this show, standing ovations all round. The only negative was that my wife lost a diamond stone out of her ring which we didn’t notice until breakfast the next morning.
Booking out was nothing special just pay your bill and the £15 per night car park and on your way. Overall I found it lacking any atmosphere. Most staff was just doing their duties, nothing over and above and nothing to make your stay memorable. It was extremely expensive for what was offered. If it was not for the location then it would probably go out of business, which is a shame as I have stayed in other hotels of this group and was very pleased.
There are other well-known chain hotels in Cardiff that provide more value, more atmosphere and greater service from enthusiastic staff. Given the choice again I would choose the others every time.

Room Tip: Higher rooms provide great views, You need to be able bodied to enjoy the spa facilities. You need to pay for Wi Fi and parking
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mike D

I certainly appreciate you taking the time to provide us with this in-depth feedback. The opinion and comments from our guests are of vital importance to us and I assure you that St David’s has an ongoing commitment to supporting our guest’s needs. I can advise that the team will look into the comments and take the necessary actions to improve.

Once again I thank you for your comments and look forward to seeing you back at St David’s in the near future.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Just a quick review to say we booked a suite with panoramic views of the bay and were delighted on entering the room. Floor-to-ceiling glass walls, and the views spectacular. The bed was comfortable and facilities as you'd expect from a quality hotel such as this. Staff accommodating with cot for infant and room service excellent. The concierge staff were exceptionally professional and car parking valet gentleman was a true gentleman. It's the little touches that make all the difference, and how staff greet you and speak throughout your stay makes all the difference for me! Last note - the cooked breakfast in bed was out of this world. An overall fab stay and will definitely return.

Room Tip: If pleasure rather than business you have to get a sea view, and if possible get a suite for the wow factor.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for such a glowing review, I will pass on your kind comments to the concierge team they will be delighted. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and look forward to seeing you return in the near future.

The St David's Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 20 July 2014

This place may have been the bees knees when it opened, but not now. It is now trading on past glories, if there was more competition for rooms in Cardiff it may be a different story.
The fixtures and fittings are 'cheap', paint on sockets and cabinets, grubby shower curtain, the room had cobwebs, generally shabby.
Not what you would expect hen paying £200 for a room.
Dinner was marred by warm white wine, undercooked muscles, which were sent back and overcooked pork, at these prices not on - £130.00 for two.
Overall, not what one would expect from a four star establishment.
However, the views are glorious and the staff are helpful.
Will not be staying there again, overpriced and overrated.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark M

We are pleased that you enjoyed the hotel's unique setting and thank you for your constructive feedback which will be discussed with the respective managers.

Kind regards,

Andreas M Maszczyk

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I've been meaning to write a review of this hotel for several years now!
I first stayed here with work & thought it amazing so I returned with my husband . We've been visiting st David's every few months for many years now.
There are good & bad points to this hotel. Amazing architecture , walking distance to Cardiff & Penarth ,stunning views , large light airy rooms. Fabulous spa. Really!
Amazing cocktails .
Bad points it's always stifling hot but we jam the door open winter/summer.
The car park is £15.00 per 24 hours.
You pay for wifi , a necessity .
We ve had my 40th here & my husbands . Its our go to place for a rest!! I love to wake up , open the curtains & look out of the floor to ceiling window.
We've had the odd grubby room & we've asked to be moved. Yes some do look pretty tired , stained ,worn.
However the one thing that always irritates me is that even though we are regular visitors no one has ever made the effort to remember or acknowledge us. We've had big celebrations ,we've never been offered an upgrade or even just a glass of wine.Some of the staff are great. Greg is great! I had a work crisis where time was of the essence & he printed & posted important documents for me, he's booked new restaurants,ordered balloons , cakes etc.
Jeff always finds a spot for my yellow Porsche in the crowded car park & is a font of local knowledge.
Yes I will keep staying here ( in fact I'm there next week!) but really the manager needs to bring a more personal touch to this fabulous hotel! Regular customers are bread & butter business.

Stayed: January 2014

Thank you for you delightful review and your continues custom at The St David’s Hotel & Spa. we look forward to welcoming you back shortly.

Andreas M Maszczyk